NV30 delayed - Official

DrT

Newcomer
NVDA's earnings conference call is ongoing right now. The CEO just said NV30 productions shipments wouldn't occur until Jan 03.

Actually he said it wouldnt ship in Q4 and would ship sometime in the Jan Quarter. A very important distinction, and a sly piece of spin by Nvidia.

So essentially, what NV are going to do is paper launch this month, get enough review boards out to get people excited (and try and stop avid consumers spending their money elsewhere) and then not have a purchasable product until next year.

Hmmm.... didn't see that coming.... ;)

MikeC @ [url=http://www.nvnews.net said:
nV News[/url]]Have been developing NV30 test chips since February of this year.

Good lord, they were on exactly the same time table as ATI. :eek:

If Nvidia is really aggressive, and I'm hoping they are, they'll get NV35 out by FALL 2003, instead of releasing a "Ti" version of NV30. A speed binned Nv30 in fall 2003 ala GF3 Ti500 in fall 2001 would be extremely disappointing IMO.

looks like i will have the fastest video card from sept to at least jan , that 400 bucks is looking better and better every day and so is my r9700.

Given that the n30 wont be out till at least january how do you think ati will counter?

It looks like its going to be a great Christmas for Ati. They will have an R300 card for virtually every price range for the holidays. When is DirectX 9 rumored to be released?

According to the CC nvidia has spent 400 000 000 (yep 400 million.) developing the NV30.. that is a tad high.(by about 300 million that is.) Seems they have had some difficulties. 8) I am not so sure that nvidia will be able to maintain its perceived leadership role out in the real world for much longer. Surely ATi will have developed an NV30 killer by January. Wait and see is the prescription... again. Hrm this reminds me of some debates that were held some time back with regards to the NV30 tape out.(LOL hate to say them words...) Looks like my reservations were justified. huh. :D

Sabastian said:
According to the CC nvidia has spent 400 000 000 (yep 400 million.) developing the NV30.. that is a tad high.(by about 300 million that is.) Seems they have had some difficulties.

If you listen carefully, Jen-Hsun said that the cost of developing the entire NV3X product line will be close to $400 million.

Actually, if they launch at Comdex and have samples ready to roll for reviews, then it won't be a paper launch. Paper launch would mean no hardware at all. I guess we will have to wait and see though.

If initial reviews show that it is substantially faster than the R300, then it won't be so bad for nVidia. Atleast they could reclaim the performance crown. Of course they will loose market share if they don't have products on the market, but thats a dif story.

As it stands now, its looking great for ATI. If ATI can keep this up for a few generations, we might have to start calling nVidia the under dogs. :eek:

Fuz said:
Actually, if they launch at Comdex and have samples ready to roll for reviews, then it won't be a paper launch. Paper launch would mean no hardware at all. I guess we will have to wait and see though.

That's unlikely as Reactor Critical is reporting the following piece of information today.

...I was told by some of our sources that Nvidia will only be able to supply its AIB manufacturers with handful of the NV30 graphics processors on the 10th of December.

Sabastian said:
Surely ATi will have developed an NV30 killer by January.

Why? This goes very much against ATI's previous MO. If they do have something different ready for NV30's release then I wouldn't expect it to be much more than a DDR-II equiped R300 board.

MikeC said:
Sabastian said:
According to the CC nvidia has spent 400 000 000 (yep 400 million.) developing the NV30.. that is a tad high.(by about 300 million that is.) Seems they have had some difficulties.

If you listen carefully, Jen-Hsun said that the cost of developing the entire NV3X product line will be close to $400 million.

I see then. Nvidia in the past has stated that the NV30 was the only .13um product that they were working on.. I guess that would explain the delay though. But I am not expecting to see any other version of the NV30 in January.

That was the only .13um product they were working on then, just because NV30 is late doesn't necessarily mean they will hold off on other .13um based projects. Remember, nForce2 is dusted off, so is NV18/28, they will be working on other things now.

I said back in June that a NV30 card won't be on the shelf until Feb of 2003, hmmm lucky guess I guess.

I do expect ATI to have a little surprise after the NV30 annoicement, yep a DDRII variation of the Radeon 9800 pro or something :). No I don't have any inside or outside sources, just guessing again ;).

I am sure now that ATI will be able to get good prices on DDRII ram with the recent stock pile accumulated for, ahmmmm, another product.

DaveBaumann said:
Sabastian said:
Surely ATi will have developed an NV30 killer by January.

Why? This goes very much against ATI's previous MO. If they do have something different ready for NV30's release then I wouldn't expect it to be much more than a DDR-II equiped R300 board.

Well yes that would be exactly the thing but with highly optimized drivers to boot. It has been said by many reviewers that the Radeon 9700 is twice as fast as the geforce 4 ti 4600.... now the NV30 is being touted in the same manner. I would consider that this means that the NV30 will perform on par if not slightly better then the Radeon 9700 pro.. But couple the Radeon 9700 pro with DDRII and some optimized drivers and presto you have an "NV30 killer" but this is pure speculation on my part. No I don't expect to see new silicon from ATi at that point. I may be wrong here but I don't think that ATi is sitting on their Loral’s waiting for nvidia to come back and hammer them.

Back