Gizmodo's PS3 .... fUgly

PSP devkit wannabee shinyshine version ? hehe
that's like a giant sony fotocamera

umd , blueray , cell , 512 megs of ram , gpu.... wow thats going to be one expensive system :) mabye they need an xbox sized system to cool it all ;)

Why on EARTH would they add the price of a UMD drive? Anyway, is this supposed to be a photo? Looks very much like a CG render to me.

That mockup design reminds me a lot of my old Sony Cybershot digital camera for some reason.

sony.jpg

Even if it IS really coming out of Sony's actual presentations, it's bound to be one of at least 10 or 15 potential industrial designs. There's no way Sony would allow the final design to be leaked so easily so early. In fact, I think if that is one of the designs they considered, the fact that we've now all seen it pretty much takes it off the list.

Rough size estimates (feel free to share your own if you get different numbers):
width: 250mm (about 9.8 inches)
height: 90mm (about 3.5 inches)
depth: 140mm (about 5.5 inches)

For comparison, the original PS2 is (roughly):
width: 11.75 inches
height: 3 inches
depth: 7 inches

So, if this is real, and my guesses are about right, the PS3 design shown is mostly smaller than the original PS2. That's not bad. But the original PS2 has a big empty space for the HDD, so it could have been significantly smaller. I'm assuming the PS3 doesn't have a big empty space.

If this is fake, it's a damn nice job.

Using a different point of reference, I got a different set of numbers. That's bad.
width: 317mm (about 12.5 inches)
height: 114mm (about 4.5 inches)
depth: 177mm (about 7 inches)

Maybe it is fake. Or my math sucks. Take your pick. If it's a genuine render (I don't think it's a photograph), maybe the render isn't perfectly to scale. I think it's more likely that I'm doing the math wrong or it's a fake.

If the above numbers are accurate, that would make it slightly wider (+6%), much taller (+50%), and similar in depth (+0%) to the original PS2. The new estimate is probably more realistic, considering all the stuff inside. I think that puts it somewhere between an original PS2 (37% larger) and an Xbox (20% smaller), not taking into account the round end or any of the surface details.

This one looks alright, probably put it in Tower position again, instead of laying down like that, if this is the design they're going with. At least there is no handle visible in this design, which is dumb for this generation :LOL:

Well a handle that's designed well would improve any design. A folding handle or a grooved handle would be perfect.

B00004WFZR.01.INBX._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00004WFSC.01.INBX._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I can't believe something so simple can be so easily overlooked by these console companies.

Like I said, no visible handle in the design, as oppose to visible one (not hidden), which look dumb. This design could very well have a handle somewhere :LOL:

V3 said:
Like I said, no visible handle in the design, as oppose to visible one (not hidden), which look dumb. This design could very well have a handle somewhere :LOL:

I agree, the handle needs to be hidden in this generation.

It looks a bit odd.
I don't know if I like it or not. I like the clean lines, that there is not too much tacky decorations.
The round end looks a bit too old school cameray to me, it would look better if both ends were the same rectangular.
The chrome finishes are just bordering tacky.
The UMD part is much too overpowering in the design.
I don't think they'll put an UMD drive there, I quess they'd rather sell a separate reader (writer) that connects to the PS3 (via usb?).
It looks like it sholud be flatter and deeper.
Otherwise I ike the stylish clean front, wouldn't mind if the real design looked something like that.
It looks similar in design as the PSP, I can see Sony going for something resembling with PS3 (mirror black, silver, acrylic...)
I remember I was a little shocked when I first saw the PS2 design. It does look ugly when viewed directly from front. But when you put it vertical on the stand, it looks much better (well, as good as a black slab can ;) )

Back