Soul Calibur III: PS2 exclusive!

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
From Magicbox:

"GamePro reported that Namco will be releasing Soul Calibur III exclusively for PlayStation 2. Theg ame will have 3 new characters, with a 25 playable characters in total. There is a Character Edit Mode for players to create their own fighters. Soul Calibur III is scheduled for an Autumn 2005 release in US."[/url]

I think I remember - was it for SC2 or another game? They reported PS2 exclusivity, and then turned out there was some translation error, and it was multi-platform after all.

This rumor might make sense, given that Xbox will be running out of gas late this year (as MS focuses on Xbox2), and Gamecube... well, unless Namco were to put Link or Pikachu or some Pikmin into the new game, they might just as well make it a PS2 exclusive. :)

Can be a limited time exclusive title, just like many titles were 'exclusives' for a year or a few months.

umm... is this game even in arcades yet? my local arcades suck and everything but i'm usualy on top of big titles coming out, especialy namco ones. the closest "real" arcade to me cyberstation about 1.5 hrs away, so they usualy have all of the newest namco games.

I don't play these games so I don't care personally. But Namco are making one massive mistake if they make Soul Calibur 3 PS2 exclusive.

Soul Calibur II US sales

GC - 778,821
PS2 - 723,377
Xbox - 520,113

Kolgar

Well if Namco felt that they needed to put link into Soul Calibur III (GC) to make it outsell the PS2 version again and make then boat loads of cash then why do you think they wouldn't want to do that? ;)

Soul Calibur has sold better on the GameCube in the US than on PS2, so PS2 exclusivity for a new one only makes sense with a Sony payoff that's much higher than what Nintendo would offer.

It wasn't a translation error when Soul Calibur II was announced to be PS2 exclusive; that was a direct claim from Sony at their E3 conference in contradiction to Namco's own decree.

I prefer Sega's approach of making one Virtua Fighter for each generation of arcade boards. Each VF looked miles better than its predecessor (well, except the first one which had no... predecessors)... SC2 looked much better than SC but i'm not sure how much they can improve over that if they keep it at PS2/Xbox levels of graphics.

Not sure you guys know what i mean...

PS2 exclusivity for a new one only makes sense with a Sony payoff that's much higher than what Nintendo would offer.

Yeah, not only would it have to be higher then any exclusivity payment Nintendo or MS would offer, but it would also have to cover a lot of the potential lost revenue from GC/XBx sales. Soul Calibur II sold over 1.5 million worldwide on GC and over 1 million on XBox. So it would have to be one mamoth pay out from Sony in the region of $40-50 million.

Teasy said:
PS2 exclusivity for a new one only makes sense with a Sony payoff that's much higher than what Nintendo would offer.

Yeah, not only would it have to be higher then any exclusivity payment Nintendo would offer, but it would also have to cover a lot of the potential lost revenue from GC sales. Considering Soul Calibur II has sold over 1.5 million worldwide on GC it would have to be one mamoth pay out from Sony ($25-30 million).

And to be honest i don't think it's worth it

Yeah I don't either really, although as I said its not my kind of game. I updated my post BTW since I realised I didn't factor in XBox, which would make the fee even higher.

It is actually amazing that GCN SC2 outsold the PS2 version in the US. Sony has a 4:1 advantage in global install base. Obviously Nintendo's brand and mascots are still strong (at least on the GCN).

Teasy said:
Yeah I don't either really, although as I said its not my kind of game. I updated my post BTW since I realised I didn't factor in XBox, which would make the fee even higher.

Yeah, i personally don't think it's worth it especially on PS2. It's not like Sony needs another big fighting game this much. Tekken5 is one fine game, i don't think they'll press too hard to get SC3 as exclusive. Ps2 already has numerous fantastic fighting games, having SC3 as exclusive won't change that.

Acert93 said:
It is actually amazing that GCN SC2 outsold the PS2 version in the US. Sony has a 4:1 advantage in global install base. Obviously Nintendo's brand and mascots are still strong (at least on the GCN).

I don't think that's amazing, a fighter game hungy nintendofan wil buy it so yes they sell more but you can't compare the platforms I think

Acert93 said:

What's so amazing in selling more on a platform with NO decent fighting games as opposed to one which is saturated with very very good fighitng games? Obviously the former's audience will be more eager to buy the game than the audience of the latter platform.

Back