Several UK Studios working with PlayStation3 DEV KITS

Pugger said:
If PS3 is going to be a CELL bolted to a PC derived next gen GPU, why the need for 2?

Maybe to make sure the games will run on possible future Hardware with a different number of Cells/SPEs without issues? (PSX2, PS4, PS3-Arcade-Version, Cell-Desktop )

Npl said:
Pugger said:
If PS3 is going to be a CELL bolted to a PC derived next gen GPU, why the need for 2?

Maybe to make sure the games will run on possible future Hardware with a different number of Cells/SPEs without issues? (PSX2, PS4, PS3-Arcade-Version, Cell-Desktop )

Doesn't make much sense .

Something made for a 1/8 should work fine on a 2/8 or a 2/16 or two 2/16s

As long as they don't lower the number of chips there wont be any problems

If the devkits are like ours, it's no big deal. Throw stuff at it and it breaks.

Interesting that sony gets a british ceo, shortly after which dev kits go out to the uk

Not really a big deal... Psygnosis got a very early crack at the Playstation hardware and SDK waaaay back in the day... And I'm sure SNsys probably has had pretty good access for while (long before Sir Howard took the helm).

I'm sorry to tell you but lacking a video card means the PS3 dev kit isn't any better off than the Xenon's and no place in there does it stae there are 2 cells only that it is more advanced than the dual G5's.

No, but from a CPU standpoint you're much closer to your compiler target which IMO at this stage is more important (particularly to give the vendor more feedback)...

There'd be no GPU in the current devkit I guess because an unmodified GF6800 can't be slapped to a Cell system which requires FlexIO interface. Otherwise they won't say "they're closer to what'll be in the final console..." than the Xenon devkit.

It's possible to modify... If you'd seen the band-aid job the first performance analyzers were you'd think likewise... :p

And I'm sure SNsys probably has had pretty good access for while (long before Sir Howard took the helm).

Except that SN is no longer owned by Sony as they were in the PS2 era.

persiannight said:
Where does it say 2 CELL processors... show me please. :?

yeah, I was wondering the same thing :oops:

version :?:

Npl said:
Pugger said:

very interesting post Npl

Megadrive1988 said:

i read it a few weeks ago, and if devkit hasnt gpu then simulate flexio dataflow with 2 cell, i mean

JF_Aidan_Pryde said:
version said:
JAWS, do you remember wafer picture? 2 cell +unknow chip, maybe unknow chip is a temporary gpu? :)

That unknown chip is test logic. This has been verified with IBM.

cell is a test logic too, celltest:) , but possible you are right

Will the final version of PS3 have two cell chips? 512Gflops.

I'm going to bring this up again. PS3 will have a large game selection, brand recognition, and now, the most computing power. No way Xenon can win this time around. Programming difficulty won't be an impediment, as the PS2 has shown. I love Allard's comment on how it's microtransactions that developers want, not high computing performance. Let's face it. But the majority of user won't use the online capability of Xbox2.

version,

Which is it? Xenon with two cores or three core?

version said:
Megadrive1988 said:

i read it a few weeks ago, and if devkit hasnt gpu then simulate flexio dataflow with 2 cell, i mean

Can't they just hand over some of those prototype Cell workstations, and pass it as dev kit ? Those supposedly have 2 Cell in them :p

bbot said:
Will the final version of PS3 have two cell chips? 512Gflops.

I'm going to bring this up again. PS3 will have a large game selection, brand recognition, and now, the most computing power. No way Xenon can win this time around. Programming difficulty won't be an impediment, as the PS2 has shown. I love Allard's comment on how it's microtransactions that developers want, not high computing performance. Let's face it. But the majority of user won't use the online capability of Xbox2.

version,

Which is it? Xenon with two cores or three core?

Oh you so funny now too.... have fun paying for that thing... lol

Back