God of War - IGN and GameSpot Reviews

Played another hour and a half last night while I should have been sleeping. Just wanted to add one more thing to my impressions above.

This game feels epic. It's an amazing experience that's far too rare in games. I've only felt this kind of excitement with a few games in the past - the kind of excitement you can only get from being pulled into the game world and immersed completely in its mythos. This one captures the imagination, and I doubt it will let me go until I've finished it. Twice.

I've also played this game last night. This has to be the most epic like game I have every played in my life. I honestly feel like Russell Crow in Gladiator.
________
Herbal vaporizers

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply amazing...

I dont own a PS2 but i bought the game (if PS3 is backwards compatible im set) and took it over my friends house. He has a 110" screen with a DLP front projector and 7.1 surround connected through component and DVI inputs to all of his consoles, VOOM and HD cable... all that is to say when we put the PS2 into widescreen, 480P with soft settings and turned the game on.... Im still amazed... the textures on the hydra were phenomenal! I never knew the PS2 could do that... it is epic, interesting, entertaining, and as an experience it is easily worth more than $50 I spent.

So far this generation I have only had this epxerience with Splinter Cell 1, Resident Evil 4 and this game so each system has a winner for me!

Well done Sony bring on the PS3!

Just FYI, soft setting is a deinterlacer. I don't think it should be enabled when you are running the game in progressive scan mode.

blakjedi said:
Simply amazing...

I dont own a PS2 but i bought the game (if PS3 is backwards compatible im set) and took it over my friends house. He has a 110" screen with a DLP front projector and 7.1 surround connected through component and DVI inputs to all of his consoles, VOOM and HD cable...

o_O'

I can only imagine how a 480p image would look on a 101" screen... As pretty as this game might be, any game in this generation will look like total crap blown out like that. Guess this is one of the reasons we need 720p as standard on next gen machines... Not like many people will have 101" screens but u get my point anyway.

Besides, how do u get that thing into ur house!! wouldn't get into mine for sure... :LOL:

london-boy said:
I can only imagine how a 480p image would look on a 101" screen... As pretty as this game might be, any game in this generation will look like total crap blown out like that. Guess this is one of the reasons we need 720p as standard on next gen machines... Not like many people will have 101" screens but u get my point anyway.

Besides, how do u get that thing into ur house!! wouldn't get into mine for sure... :LOL:

It could look fine on a 101" screen if you far enough away. You'd have to be pretty far away to even see the entire image without hurting your neck anyhow. Also, if the quality of the projector isn't that great then it may hide any problems with the image.

Fox5 said:
It could look fine on a 101" screen if you far enough away. You'd have to be pretty far away to even see the entire image without hurting your neck anyhow. Also, if the quality of the projector isn't that great then it may hide any problems with the image.

Well from far away everything looks good, but it kind of kills the point of having a 101" screen if u're 50 meters away.
Either way, a 480p image already looks like crap on 40" screens, blown up to 101" it's just a messy broth of pixels...

london-boy said:
Fox5 said:

Well from far away everything looks good, but it kind of kills the point of having a 101" screen if u're 50 meters away.
Either way, a 480p image already looks like crap on 40" screens, blown up to 101" it's just a messy broth of pixels...

Actually.... it looks great. It actually looks hi-res/hi-def... throughout... no pixelization, no banding, no jaggies.

I myself have a front projector setup and my screen is 106" but I use an analog three gun Sony VDP projector.... which makes high resolution images look much softer....

his projector is fully digital (DLP) and i am amazed at its quality... in any case this game, on PS2 even on a high def digital projector at 110" has to be seen to be believed.

I know I sound hyperbolic (what is the proper term for over using hyperbole? giddy? ;-)) but I was never a believer in the Sony concept (a console as a consumer appliance? its for games!), swayed by the Sony brand (I prefer Samsung tvs, and denon audio components) or the latest console (I never bought a PS2)and... overnight because of this game and the PSP (which I just bought for darkstalkers) I must say I have changed my stance considerably toward them.

PS3 and Xenon will definitely see me next generation

blakjedi said:
Actually.... it looks great. It actually looks hi-res/hi-def... throughout... no pixelization, no banding, no jaggies.

I myself have a front projector setup and my screen is 106" but I use an analog three gun Sony VDP projector.... which makes high resolution images look much softer....

his projector is fully digital (DLP) and i am amazed at its quality... in any case this game, on PS2 even on a high def digital projector at 110" has to be seen to be believed.

Bloody hell, i can only imagine how bad the IQ is. Oh well, the important thing is that you like it. :D

london-boy said:
blakjedi said:

Bloody hell, i can only imagine how bad the IQ is. Oh well, the important thing is that you like it. :D

No its not bad... I use my home PC (with an ATI 9200) to scale the image using dscaler : http://www.dscaler.com/about.htm so it looks great.

2. Metal Gear Solid GBC Konami 13 7.4 94.4% 98.1% ?? wtf

somebody buy me a ps2 please . i'm too poor

blakjedi said:
london-boy said:
blakjedi said:

No its not bad... I use my home PC (with an ATI 9200) to scale the image using dscaler : http://www.dscaler.com/about.htm so it looks great.

Eh, I've never had good results with scaling an image on dscaler.

In case anyone cares, my opinion of God of War has taken a significant nosedive. :devilish:

WHY must some developers ruin an otherwise excellent game with controller-smashing platforming levels? Honestly, I'm all the way to the second-to-last section of the game, and I've cursed more in the past hour than I did all of last week. Probably came close to having a stroke, and I KNOW my PStwo is lucky to be in one piece. I was horribly close to picking it up and winging it across the room like a high-tech frisbee.

I'm seriously considering packing this baby up and trading it in at Gamestop tomorrow. Probably still get a fair amount for it - and my risk of aneurysm would be significantly lowered.

Anyway - this isn't all it was cracked up to be. Even BEFORE I got to this point, I'd made up my mind that, high production values aside, God of War just doesn't look as good or play as well as my favorite games of this generation. It's competent, but ultimately little more than a short diversion from better games.

Play this if you're a masochist. A rent is surely enough - the first boss battle 20 minutes into the game is easily the high point of the game anyway.

:devilish:

Yeah, this game is way over rated IMO. The game is just way too easy even on the highest difficulty setting for an action game. Platforming and puzzles weren't all that interesting either. I gave it 5/10. A good rental for casual gamers.

V3 said:
Yeah, this game is way over rated IMO. The game is just way too easy even on the highest difficulty setting for an action game. Platforming and puzzles weren't all that interesting either. I gave it 5/10. A good rental for casual gamers.

Yeah sure it is too easy on god mode :rolleyes:. 5/10 right...

london-boy said:
Fox5 said:
a 480p image already looks like crap on 40" screens...

I would say this is a very harsh assessment.

On my 42" plasma screen, most 480p games look excellent. God of War is one of those. Certainly better than the equivalent interlaced picture on a 32" CRT TV. (Viewing distance 2 metres)

I have not taken a game to a larger screen size with a quality set-up yet.

With DVD, I have found 84" (7 feet) screen to be the practical limit of Progressive PAL DVD format. Going to a screen size larger than this will start to reveal the constraints of the format. (Viewing distance 3 metres)

As a rule you should sit approximately twice the screen size away from the screen for comfortable viewing.

Back