NV30 in February? Yes, that would be a screwup

Like I said countless times b4 there won't be much boards on the shelves this year December, January/February 2003 which I have said b4 so really old news.......

It won't be a disaster do other then there will be more ATI 9700 Pro's sold

THe nv30 has still some things the offer over the ati and vice versa ofcourse the will lose a lot of money cause the 9700 will be much lower in price around that time.........

And it gives ATI some more time for the nv 30 counter.......

If the Comdex launch is a totally paper affair as Anand is insinuating, the card is not going be released in December period.

duncan36 said:
To be fair, they are a good 2-3 months behind the original schedule and I don't think "lie" is the right word for something that may have been an accurate estimate of ETA at the time.

Original schedule was August as per Huang at the Merill Lynch tech conference in May, so if the Nv30 is released in Jan/Feb then yes they will have missed a full cycle.

Ahh... you must be referring to the "original, original schedule". :D I remember being told in July that R&D was due to be completed in September for an October ramp. No doubt there have been problems at TSMC, especially considering the fact that D.Kirk has stated this, as yet uncontested.

duncan36 said:
If the Comdex launch is a totally paper affair as Anand is insinuating, the card is not going be released in December period.

They have working samples now. ATi'd demo'd a bastardised rev. 1 R300 ASIC at E3 that no doubt almost set the place on fire; I'm sure nVidia are capable of producing some kind of demo for Comdex.

MuFu.

MuFu said:
They have working samples now. ATi'd demo'd a bastardised rev. 1 R300 ASIC at E3 that no doubt almost set the place on fire; I'm sure nVidia are capable of producing some kind of demo for Comdex.

I'm sure they are capable or producing some kind of demo, but people will expect to see Doom 3 (or at least UT 2003) running on the card. If they can only show a custom demo it will feel like a paper launch.

MuFu said:
They have working samples now. ATi'd demo'd a bastardised rev. 1 R300 ASIC at E3 that no doubt almost set the place on fire;
If you repeat something enough times, does that make it true?

As for Europe, Gf4Ti4200's werent available until June this year. Gf3's werent available until late April/May 2001, both February launches.

My conspiracy theory of the day:

Nvidia leaked the doom3 alpha so everyone could see how slow it runs on even the 9700. They then run a newer, more optimized build of doom3 on the nv30 at comdex with the draw_fps command, showing great framerates. Everyone goes, Wow! Look how great it runs doom3. My buddy has the alpha leak and it barely runs on his 9700. I'm going to hold out and get an nv30 because it runs doom3 so much better.

Okay, so maybe not. But that would be one heck of a diabolical plan. Especially if they could pin the leak on ATI. Guess I watch too many movies. :D

jjayb said:

Nvidia leaked the doom3 alpha so everyone could see how slow it runs on even the 9700. They then run a newer, more optimized build of doom3 on the nv30 at comdex with the draw_fps command, showing great framerates. Everyone goes, Wow! Look how great it runs doom3. My buddy has the alpha leak and it barely runs on his 9700. I'm going to hold out and get an nv30 because it runs doom3 so much better.

Okay, so maybe not. But that would be one heck of a diabolical plan. Especially if they could pin the leak on ATI. Guess I watch too many movies. :D

nVidia is an American company dont forget...consiracies are what we are good at :D hehe

Randell said:
As for Europe, Gf4Ti4200's werent available until June this year.

Yes the 4200 wasn't available until June, but the 4600 and 4400 were available by the end of March. That would be around a month from announce to product ship. The 4200 has always been kind of wierd beast. The additional announcement of the 4200 at the Ti 4600/4400 launch seemed out of snych with the others. And don't forget "true" 4200's have a smaller PCB indicating a different (cheaper??) board design and that means extra design time.

OpenGL guy said:
MuFu said:
They have working samples now. ATi'd demo'd a bastardised rev. 1 R300 ASIC at E3 that no doubt almost set the place on fire;
If you repeat something enough times, does that make it true?

No, point taken. I will stop making so many things up. :D

MuFu.

Randell said:
As for Europe, Gf4Ti4200's werent available until June this year. Gf3's werent available until late April/May 2001, both February launches.
The GF4 TI 4200 was launched in may... that's 1 month.

jjayb said:

This is what hardocp had to say:

http://www.hardocp.com/
"The Radeon 9700 Pro drew a consistent ~50-60+ fps while the ti4600 was really straining, going from 12-15 fps to an occasional `30fps. On some screens it went as low as 7 fps"

In the light of this, i don't think that Nvidia is that much more happier then Ati about the leaked demo.

Evildeus said:
Randell said:
but announced in February to ensure people held on and didnt buy 8500's for 4 months :)

Randell said:
Evildeus said:
Randell said:
but announced in February to ensure people held on and didnt buy 8500's for 4 months :)
The 4200 has never been announced in february, it's been in may :devilish: Nvidia has announced just the 4400 and 4600 in frebuary, and everybody was asking "but where is the 4200?" :rolleyes:

*edit* in fact announced in april ;) and on the shelves in may in France.

Thank you Wavey, I go through this so many times. Why do people get in denial over nVidia timings - no the NV30 isnt late, no the Ti4200 was never announced/launched whatever in February :-?

DaveBaumann said:
Good, my bad :oops:

But it seems to me that it was clearly said that the 4200 won't be available until a certain time:
"When this will be formally introduced is unknown."
And
"A third GeForce4 model will be introduced in approximately 8 weeks, and that is the GeForce4 Ti 4200"
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1583&p=5
So introduced in april, on shelves in may. So i stay on my position by saying that the 4200 was availaible 1 month after the "introduction" ;) but it was paper launch in february...

Back