3D Graphics Cards Forum?

Should there be a 3D Graphics Cards Forum?

• Leave Forums as they are

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dave Baumann

Gamerscore Wh...
Legend
I'm toying with the idea of creating a 3D Graphics cards PC Forum, and I figured I'd through it out to you guys. We often get actual graphics cards questions and discussion here - should it have its own forum or should do you think we should leave the forum structure as it is?

3D cards and 3D graphics are inseparable. I say leave as is. I don't like the idea of switching to and fro between two forums that are intricately connected. This site is (so far) safe from the "latest drivers" type of posts.

If you were suggesting to rearrange the existing boards Id be in favour, I could see technical questions buying advice etc being put into the hardware board (that is low enough volume the two can coexist) turning this into a clearly labeled advocacy board. I dont think we need more boards though.

i think that would be a little bit confusing...3dTech - 3D Coding - 3D Cards?
wahts the diff. between 3D Tech and Cards?

maybe call it support/Troubleshooting/What to buy or something like this

I think those technical questions get asked in this forum, because of the greater audience. Whereas, far less will see it in the Hardware forum. However, I do think General should be changed to "Joe and Vince versus the World". ;)

I think the problem is that there is too much talk about specific graphics cards in this forum, which can lead to a decline in the tenor of the discussion.

I think you already have the solution to that in having established the "3d Architecture and Coding" forum. Just put the more purely-tech-oriented (as opposed to market-oriented) posts there.

I really think that separating this forum into two wouldn't really work. That is, one forum would stay popular, and the other would never be used. I'd guess that this is the one that would always be used.

I like them as they are but wouldnt mind a Console Tech Forum....

Errmm, wrong thread right? :oops:

IME it doesn't work to split forums until there is enough traffic in them that the single forum fills up so fast with new threads that they get pushed onto the 2nd page in a short amount of time.

Splitting a forum before you reach a significant amount of traffic just leaves one forum still fairly busy and one almost empty... which just compounds the problem because most people post first to the "popular" looking forum even if their post isn't necessarily germane to the forum topic.

Therefore my vote is to keep things the way they are for now.

Leave the forums as they are. It works fine and besides creating the 3D Architecture and Coding forum hasn't been a super succes - probably because things can't be separated.

LeStoffer said:
Leave the forums as they are. It works fine and besides creating the 3D Architecture and Coding forum hasn't been a super succes - probably because things can't be separated.
No, I believe it speaks of the majority of the kind of folks visiting B3D's forum. The more important thing to look at in that 3D A&C forum is the views count.

Perhaps modifying the Games forum so that it welcomes driver comments and questions would be an acceptable compromise. There are a few comments and questions about UT2k3 and software like RivaTuner and how it works with nVidia's 41.03 drivers with their new approach to anisotropic filtering that I wouldn't mind seeing but are apparently inappropriate to this particular board and possibly the Games one as well.

I seem to have found a nice workaround for the current incompatability (that works for me anyways) for example.

http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40015

I freely admit that there could easily be something I'm missing and/or limitations I've yet to encounter or am just not noticing. Input from the Beyond3D crowd might shed light on this topic and other related ones to the benefit of all. :)

how about a "latest drivers" forum topic

would give us a place to discuss new drivers, leaked drivers, any fixes, bugs, comments about a driver set and whats working in games or for development in games, features supported/not supported because of drivers and whatnot...

just an idea...

as for the original question I say leave it as it is...

Back