B3D causing Mozilla to crash?

3dcgi

Veteran
Supporter
Yesterday Mozilla 1.7.5 started crashing on me when viewing the B3D forums and it continues today. Has anyone else been having problems? I don't know for sure B3D has anything to do with it, but I was thinking an Ad might be causing the crash. The crash occurs when the page is loading and it doesn't happen all the time.

Hmm. Maybe time for a reinstall then. For the past hour I've used Firefox without a crash, but I like Mozilla better.

I'm getting it with Safari and even when it doesn't crash, some pages take a long time to load. The CPU pegs 100% for a few seconds too.

Oddly, Firefox hasn't crashed but right as I'm posting this, my CPU is 80% and above.

B3D isn't exactly the most ad-heavy site in the world so this is strange.

Yeah Firefox sometimes uses crazy amounts of resources for some strange reason. The other day it was using more than 100MB RAM for just one window. :?
But it never sucked my CPU up to 80%.

I've also had trouble with Safari, but it only occured after a security patch. Since another patch came out Safari has stopped crashing. I infer the problem was with Safari then. But I figured I'd let you guys know.

Safari just crashed for me today trying to load B3D. I think I have the latest updates.

But even when it doesn't crash, it takes a long time to load certain pages. That Vonage ad has audio and that may be what takes it so long to load.

It might be the advertizing, but I think it's the new site survey tools, or a combination of both. They take longer to finish then loading the page itself.

Or at least, it started to slow down quite a bit around the time when Dave posted about those tools.

I got much better results from Mozilla 1.8 alpha (from alpha 4 on), and now they have released a 1.8 beta

You can also try one of these firefox optimized builds.

slightly faster on my g4 433 (work). Default 1.0 used to crash on flash stuff

Firefox 1.0.1 has never crashed here or at Arstechnica, another difficult site for Safari.

Could be something to the security updates. They may be adding items to the Webkit frameworks. Some have claimed deleting those frameworks and doing a clean install have helped.

But future security updates may just keep adding to those directories.

Guden Oden said:
london-boy said:
But it never sucked my CPU up to 80%.
Just visit a site with a bunch of flash ads on it, that usually does the trick... :?

... nope. On a A64 and 1GB Ram, firefox only gives me problems when it forgets to allow some sites, blocking all popups even from the ones i've allowed. Closing it and starting it over sorts it out.

Back