A SONY See-Saw controller trigger patent.

A good idea?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe

• Other

• Total voters

j^aws

Veteran
Abstract

A controller has a seesaw-type input lever with two operating parts operated by two fingers. Pressing one operating part causes rotation of the lever in one direction and pressing the other operating part causes rotation of the lever in the other direction. As a result, accurate rotational positioning of the input lever can be obtained by adjusting the pressing force on the operating parts.

Game controller

I haven't seen this posted anywhere...fairly old patent...but sounds interesting. :)

I suppose you can use the See-Saw analogue control as kinda like a driving wheel/handle input, similar to the Namco GCON twisting pad...

It sounds cool , only problem i can see with it is the durability , sounds like it will be easy to snap it or bend it if you apply to much force on both sides

Jaws said:
I suppose you can use the See-Saw analogue control as kinda like a driving wheel/handle input, similar to the Namco GCON twisting pad...

yeah this sounds like GCON. Was it any good apart from racers?

rabidrabbit said:
I don't see a NeGcon type twisting controller in that patent.
I see something like this

I see something like that but inside the controler .... where one set of shoulder buttons would go currently , would be good for racing games for gase and break as you'd get resistance when breaking and power sliding

Of course inside the controller, I didn't think the controller would be just that :)
It'd be better suited for steering, if it were made so large that youd press the other half with for example left thumb, and the other with right.
Also flying games and games like Monkey Ball would suit well for it.
For gas and brake two independent long throw analog triggers are better.

Hehe :) I know but the picture was to funny not to play dumb :)

And i guess , i wouldn't want to stear with it though. i would rather brake and go .

However i still think it will be easily bent and broken inside the controller in a heated gt4 match

How would it bend and break if it were a solid design like that i draw?
It wouldn't be any more fragile than the analog sticks in current controllers.

depends on the thickness . I've actually snaped a dreamcast controller in 2 by applying to much presure going in to diffrent directions one night . I can see this doing the same esp since it wont be very thick . Snaping may be a bit much but it will def bend

gokickrocks said:
i dont see how this would differ much from a regular d-pad, it just limits you to 2 directions

It's not a d-pad or analogue stick replacement. They replace the shoulder buttons with basically a see-saw counter-balance action trigger. It seems you can have left-right rocking motion aswell as fore-aft rocking motion.

Check out fig. 6-7 in the patent. If you can't view the images, you prolly don't have a TIFF viewer installed for your browser...

Back