you think ATI R400 will double the transistor count again?

I'll explain why I don't believe the NV30 will have a 256-bit bus, and it is only peripherally connected with David Kirk's comment:

We've known for some time that the NV30 has been targeted at DDR-2 memory. I think nVidia saw that as a much more cost-effective way to get the bandwidth a new architecture would require. I think to have targeted both DDR-2 and 256 bit interface would reflect a much more aggressive approach to providing bandwidth than nVidia has ever shown in the past.

The other notion supporting 128 bits is the 48 Gbit/sec effective bandwidth number that has been floating about, asserted by people who seem to have seen the NDA'd whitepaper nVidia has circulated to hardware review sites. Given the way nVidia has calculated effective bandwidth in the past, 48 Gbit/sec is about right for 128 bit/DDR 2. It is certainly too small for 256 bit/DDR 2, and from the nature of the white paper I don't think they'd be projecting specs for a DDR I interface.

This is all my opinion, of course. If the chip is released with a 256-bit memory interface, I will of course humbly apologize to all those I may have misled by several times expressing my expectation.

Tagrineth said:
Grall said:
Like with dicks, it's not size that matters (and trust me, I know this from personal experience. :LOL: ).

I disagree.

This is also 100% OT. :p

*sigh* Female Ultimate Authority rears its head and spoils the illusions of the male ego yet again. :cry: :p

Grall wrote:
JonathanFanBoi:

There are no facts NV30 will have a 256-bit bus either, so don't get your panties all in a bind over nothing. Like Dadum pointed out, Nvidia representatives (Kirk, or somebody else) called 256-bit "overkill", which I certainly does not see them say if their next product features it.

If defending Nvidia or any other company from people with negative accusations and nothing to back them up with makes me a fanboi, then I guess I am proud to be one. ;) I have a hard time believing that most of those in here who flame Nvidia are neutral in their opinions. :rolleyes:

Dio said:
The reasoning is that the average console owner buys something like 10 games over the life of the console (I can't remember the exact figure, but I was surprised, it was significantly lower than I expected). The software subsidy isn't that great - only a few £ per game - so you can't afford to subsidise the hardware assuming a £200 kickback from the software side.

Well it's an average right? So that means some people buy 20 games and others buy 2. Frankly 10 games seems insanely high to me because I bought like 3 for my PSX... The rest I just borrowed from friends or rented. Of course I totally hate consoles, but people like me are there to balance out the guys who buy 20 games. Of course I can't justify even buying a console until it's in its later years and costs $99.99 so maybe Sony actually made a modest profit off of that sale to me (if they cheapened production enough by then).

3D WonderBoy said:
Nappe1 said:
Prometheus said:
Who believed Ati could do 110million trans on 0.15?

who would believed year ago what Matrox had on it's sleeves? :)
ATI doubled their transistor count, matrox more than tripled. ;)

You should know nappe1 that I knew what they had up their sleeves you forgot that already :cry:

mmm guess I should cut it down more that pic still to big.....

come on... no one here remembers "aloud" who has knew and what... Though I have been knowing and hinting about Axe's specs all way from early August 2001 and I knew even first bandwidth figures of Parhelia on late August 2001, no one is going to get me a credit of that. Only way to get a credit is say a loud The specs as soon as you get them and when the product is announced, you have to come here and start "WHAT DID TELL YA!!!111" topic. (but I really don't recommend that. sounds something like HellBinder would do when ATI makes faster card than Matrox. *cough* search... *cough*)

yes, you knew... but I don't know how much and how early. and did you know what was the original launch date? It's still unknown to me why Parhelia got delayed more than 8 months... It would have been pretty "decent" high end product on October / Novemebr 2001.

"If defending Nvidia or any other company from people with negative accusations and nothing to back them up with makes me a fanboi, then I guess I am proud to be one. ;)"

If defending them in an overly personal, melodramatic and indignantly upset manner, then yes, that certainly makes you a fanboiii. Problem is you seem to interpret many things as "negative accusations" even though you have no direct evidence they're NOT true, such as this 128/256-bit bus thing.

Final nail in coffin is your staunch defense of one particular company, even though they have no particular NEED to be defended. It's not like anyone's ever going to succeed in insulting Nvidia's honor or anything, because it's a company, not a person you know... It's unneccessary. You're taking it way too personal.

"I have a hard time believing that most of those in here who flame Nvidia are neutral in their opinions. :rolleyes:"

Go easy on the rolleyes dude, it looks stupid when you use them in just about every post you make. Especially when it's such a great irony seeing you rolling your eyes at other people... ;)

*G*

Gosh Grall, ya really told me off there.

Problem is you seem to interpret many things as "negative accusations" even though you have no direct evidence they're NOT true, such as this 128/256-bit bus thing.

Good point dude... I guess. But what evidence do you have that they ARE true? That was the only point I was trying to make. We both have ungrounded points and neither of us has any evidence. Well lets just save each other a lot of time and end this debate. The official announcement is only a couple of weeks away anyway. 8)

Back