Interview with ATIs Raja Koduri

digitalwanderer said:
geo said:
Oh, Digi, I threw that out there for the specific purpose of seeing if you'd pop out of the woodwork and strike at the bait. :LOL:
Wow, did you know we have a word for that very type of thing Geo?

Yup, we call it "trolling"....and we call people who do it "trolls". Wear the badge with pride.

The debbil made me do it. I'll throw in a few Our Fathers or something this week in propitiation for my wanton digi-baiting. :oops:

DaveBaumann said:
Good lord - its just an interview with an engineer, get over it. We've seen far worse interviews before and we'll see far worse later on as well.

Eh, I dont think anyone was being obsessive over it. I thought I was having a discussion about 3d Graphics Companies and Industry.

I don't know if this interview went through PR or not, but it doesn't seem like it. My impression is we got Mr. Koduri's honest and unfiltered viewpoint. It's very refreshing.

But this thread show's why so many interviews have to go through PR. They feel a need to sanitize it of all of the interviewed person's opinion and controversy or risk a backlash. Granted, in this case the "backlash" is very minor, but the point still stands.

The controversy on page 2 of this thread is silly. From the complete context: The question mentioned nvidia hardware technically capable of dx 9 but which ran a dx 8 path in HL 2. Isn't it obvious they're asking about the FX? Therefore, isn't it reasonable for the answer to be limited to the FX situation? The nv40's performance and sm 3.0 are off topic for both that question and it's answer.

Okay, easy, people. Let's all just let it go, conserve our righteous vitriol for the next challenge. We don't want Dave to close the whole subforum and relabel it 3D Graphics Compulsives and Nitpickers 02/02 - 02/05.

:D

Pete said:
Okay, easy, people. Let's all just let it go, conserve our righteous vitriol for the next challenge. We don't want Dave to close the whole subforum and relabel it 3D Graphics Compulsives and Nitpickers 02/02 - 02/05.

:D

although that's not far from the truth....... ;)

geo said:
Gotta, gotta, gotta love that he's using an AGP X800 XT. Heh. Maybe that's why there are so few around --after they take care of their own staff. :LOL:
Actually, employee discounted cards are usually lowest on the priority list. When I finished a summer term with ATI in 2001, I was told I'd get a bonus card (Radeon 8500). It wasn't until next summer until I got it.

My god, I've never seen such utterly idiotic responses to an interview.
nobody said:
HL2 is not mentioned anywhere in Raja's answer thus his answer is incorrect.
DegustatoR said:
Exactly. And the context was wrong. B/c this sentence should be spelled like this: "Our R300 hardware is several times faster than GFFX running PS2.0 shaders." The way it was said it is FALSE.

Do you guys know what an interview is?

QUESTION AND ANSWER, you morons.

Raja is answering a question, not making a general statement. The question? "Could you explain why Doom 3 is optimised for Ultra Shadow II and Half Life 2 is using the hardware Direct X level 8 for Nvidia cards which actually supports Direct X 9?" Context is not confined to a single paragraph.

If someone asks a question, does your answer have to repeat all the information in the question?

Q: "Mr. Bush, why don't you acknowlegde the warnings about global warming?"

A: "Because the climate scientists are wrong."

OMG! Bush thinks all climate scientists are wrong all the time! Weather forecasts are absolutely useless! Tornado warnings mean nothing! Why? Because he didn't say "climate scientists are wrong about the global warming issue you specifically mentioned in your question 10 seconds before my response."

Dumbasses.

You just won't give up do you? Morons and dumbasses, right? I smell an ATI fanb0y, but well...

PC-WELT:

While we're talking about Half Life 2: Cooperation between premium game developers and the big two graphic chip giants are becoming more and more popular. For example: Doom 3 & Nvidia versus Half Life 2 & ATI. Is the money more important than the technical potential of the graphic chip, or could you explain why - just do give an example - Doom 3 is optimised for Ultra Shadow II and Half Life 2 is using the hardware Direct X level 8 for Nvidia cards which actually supports Direct X 9?

Raja Koduri:

We always keep our technical engagements with the ISVs totally separate from our marketing (read “moneyâ€￾) engagements. On technical front we worked closely with both Valve and Id Software. If it is true that Doom3 is more optimized for Nvidia hardware there are only two ways to look at it in my opinion. Nvidia technical team did a better job with Id or the ATI technical team did a bad job.

Regarding Half Life 2: The answer is more obvious. Our hardware is several times faster running Direct X 9 shaders. This is no secret and does not take rocket science to figure this out. Write a reasonably long Direct X 9 shader and run a simple fillrate test using this shader on different GPUs and the answer will be obvious. I think people read too much into the marketing arrangement and ignore the simple basic facts.

So the question is: "why Half Life 2 is using the hardware Direct X level 8 for Nvidia cards which actually supports Direct X 9?" RIGHT?

And the answer to that question is: "Our hardware is several times faster running Direct X 9 shaders." RIGHT??

The answer in THAT FORM is pure BS. It doesn't say a thing about why HL2 is using DX8 on some of NV cards (FX line) and it makes a claim that "their hardware" (R300? RV410? R480? what hardware?) "is several times faster running Direct X 9 shaders" (than WHAT?), which is A LIE b/c not all their hardware are several times faster than all NVs chips in DX9 shaders and their hardware doesn't even support some of DX9 shaders.

Now, i'd understand if that was said by a marketing guy, but an engineer?..

OK, i'm out of this thread. Feel free to continue calling me moron, dumbass and troll -- that's just shows who you are.

As a matter of interest, which NVIDIA cards do you think it is that have DX9 capabilities but default to DX8 in Half Life 2?

DaveBaumann said:
As a matter of interest, which NVIDIA cards do you think it is that have DX9 capabilities but default to DX8 in Half Life 2?

Can I give them a Hint? Can I can I can I? Oh sorry I will behave now :)

DegustatoR, please don't take up radar's sometime role in posting absurdity and then leaving in an imaginary huff. Your last post was nothing more than inane repetition of previously discredited intepretation, as has been pointed out repeatedly.

It's quite simple. The only DX9 nV hardware with which HL2 defaults to a DX8 path is the FX series. Engineers are probably not the most explicit communicators, thus Raja left out the qualifier, "Our [competing DX9] hardware is [...]." He's not a marketer, trained to form only complete, exquisitely quotable sentences.

It's painfully obvious that--in the context of the question, which refers ONLY to DX9 nV cards that HL2 runs in DX8 mode--Raja is referring to competing ATi cards, not ATi's complete line-up.

And your throwaway comment that ATi h/w doesn't run "all" DX9 shaders is a complete non-sequitur. Did Valve even put any shaders above PS2.0 in HL2? So what relevance does PS3 or DXInfinity-1 have to do with HL2?

People are calling you names b/c you refuse to act the part of a mature, thinking participant in this discussion, and instead obstinately stick to an obviously incorrect interpretation of Raja's answer. Not to mention that you throw around "fanb0y," which is another way of saying "moron, dumbass, and troll."

But feel free to run off. I'm done here, too.

DegustatoR said:
Now, i'd understand if that was said by a marketing guy, but an engineer?..

You have to remember that everyone from a company who is allowed to talk to the press has been brainwashed before by the marketing department. Thus there is not really a difference reading interviews with marketing guys or engineers, the interview we're talking about here is a very good example for that.

You have a very good point here. I would be in serious trouble if I spoke to the press on printer matters without consulting PR.

Pete said:
DegustatoR, please don't take up radar's sometime role in posting absurdity and then leaving in an imaginary huff. Your last post was nothing more than inane repetition of previously discredited intepretation, as has been pointed out repeatedly.

It may have been a simple misunderstanding.

DaveBaumann said:
Pete said:

Starting in the middle of page 1, with multiple folks of varying patience levels pointing out what was going on? The man has a pov and will not be separated from it.

geo said:
DaveBaumann said:

Starting in the middle of page 1, with multiple folks of varying patience levels pointing out what was going on? The man has a pov and will not be separated from it.
Well then maybe it's a complex misunderstanding. ;)

Back