When will we see the mobility market enter the 3D world?

Raystream

Newcomer
Just wondering if there are any cell phones in the works with actual ICs supporting 3D such as BitBoys chips, etc. Also does anyone know if there are cell phones out there already supporting "true" 3D and not software rendering (AKA Qualcomms 6500 series chipset)

Raystream

Raystream said:
Just wondering if there are any cell phones in the works with actual ICs supporting 3D such as BitBoys chips, etc. Also does anyone know if there are cell phones out there already supporting "true" 3D and not software rendering (AKA Qualcomms 6500 series chipset)

Raystream
There was a post just a few days ago which said Sony-Ericsson will be using a Philips chip with 3D HW.

Raystream said:

Raystream

LG released "world's fastest 3D phone" earlier this year. it is using ATI's mobile 3D chip and will be available in hong kong in march.

I just want a really small, lightweight phone with good battery life.

I don't need 3D, a camera, video capabilities, MP3 playing or an LED torch in a phone. It just needs to be able to be used for calls/text messages and be small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably!

Unfortunately, no such phone exists as all the manufacturers want to do is add bells and whistles to their new phones! :devilish:

Mariner said:

I don't need 3D, a camera, video capabilities, MP3 playing or an LED torch in a phone. It just needs to be able to be used for calls/text messages and be small enough to fit in my pocket comfortably!

Unfortunately, no such phone exists as all the manufacturers want to do is add bells and whistles to their new phones! :devilish:

nen920.gif
:LOL:

Mariner said:

BOOMEXPLODE said:
Oh boy another useless feature for our cell phones. I'm still waiting for the phone which can toast a slice of bread.

I absolutely understand your point guys, but is this thread correct place to tell about this? I mean, if there would be graphics artist that works with photoshop and other high end 2d applications and he would came to this forum to state how the 3D is useless in GFX cards, I doubt that many of us would agree. Especially if it would happen in thread describing advantages of 3D HW acceleration. (especially now, when you can't buy GFX card without 3D support.)

Mariner: at least here in finland some time ago Nokia had model available with just plain phone features. Only techie feature was flashlight. (small powerful Light Emiting Diode light on the top of the phone.) No color display, no multivoice ringtones... My parents both have one of those, so I can dig up the model if you want...

It's not that there wouldn't be simple phones. It's more like those aren't advertized as hard as techie gimmick phones.

Has anyone an idea what's exactly inside the Siemens SL65 I currently own?

Simple scrolling through the menus can sometimes be painfully slow especially after using any of it's applications and no I don't really need or want any multimedia or 3D for my mobiles either.

What I want to say is that mobiles can see sizeable improvements from a strong dedicated multimedia and/or 3D chip (whatever), even if you don't necessarily make use of the extra features. Besides nappe is right, high end features are for high end mobile phones; there's always been and will be devices for every pocket and demands.

Ailuros said:
Has anyone an idea what's exactly inside the Siemens SL65 I currently own?

Simple scrolling through the menus can sometimes be painfully slow especially after using any of it's applications and no I don't really need or want any multimedia or 3D for my mobiles either.

What I want to say is that mobiles can see sizeable improvements from a strong dedicated multimedia and/or 3D chip (whatever), even if you don't necessarily make use of the extra features. Besides nappe is right, high end features are for high end mobile phones; there's always been and will be devices for every pocket and demands.

I agree. as an example SVG / OpenVG support in hardware should give improvments even to lower end of phones, by accelerating menu graphics and making small text on those tiny screens easier to read (using AA for fonts) as well as battery life can be extended, because lower power needs. (as an example how low/med end phone power needs can be reduced with dedicated chip / core in normal use: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174696&highlight=#174696 )

DaveBaumann said:
http://www.slashphone.com/89/1289.html

That was shown at CES.

What's in there? 1M Polys/sec seem to be more or less what to expect from most 3D chips for first mobile phones.

The LG phone has a variant of Imageon 2300.

As for the ATI Qualcom deal, the last plan was for Qualcom to introduce chipsets with discrete Imageon's this year and in 2006 they would have versions fully inegrated into the CPU.

Guys,

What do you expect to be the killer-app of 3D in cell phones?
Games? (I think phones can never compete with mobile consoles)
3D screensavers and intros?
3D visualizations for digital music?
New Longhorn for Mobile Aero GUI? (Just kidding ;))
Or What else?

DaveBaumann said:
The LG phone has a variant of Imageon 2300.

As for the ATI Qualcom deal, the last plan was for Qualcom to introduce chipsets with discrete Imageon's this year and in 2006 they would have versions fully inegrated into the CPU.

1M polys :?: :!:

azopi said:
Guys,

What do you expect to be the killer-app of 3D in cell phones?
Games? (I think phones can never compete with mobile consoles)
3D screensavers and intros?
3D visualizations for digital music?
Or What else?

There are already games on mobile phones that have just a CPU and no dedicated 3D chip. I'd expect to see some tuned down games carefully matched for those type of chips, even some ports from older games.

What I personally could make good use of, are mobiles with GPS functionalities. Those pure GPS devices I've touched so far are abysmally slow when simply moving between locations on a simple map.

Phone Demos, ala www.scene.org kind of demos. lol. Probably just interfaces. I really don't need GT4 on my cellphone. Still I want a powerful, flexible and capable device, so I still want quality 3D. Once that feature is matured, then I'll buy a cellphone.

azopi said:

Well, that’s probably not as crazy as you might think. I do vaguely remember one report bestowing the virtues of a mobile 3D interface, suggesting how its easy to display much more data on a small screen.

Back