Resident Evil 4 on Xbox

Tuttle said:
"it's pretty good for a Game Cube game"

Huh?

hahahaha... aaaaah ... that was funny :)

i sold my xbox , don't have a console anymore at house, so should i buy a used GC for RESEV4 ?

Just making a few GC sugestions since this secondary branch took over... A few, only because I'm poor. :LOL: Oh what saccrifices we make.

Resident Evil 4
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Dark Echoes if you're Japanese)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Mario Sunshine (hey, better than Mario 64 or not you should atleast try it)
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Super Smash Brothers Melee
F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness (if even just for the pure oddity of the game)
MarioKart Double Dash (is digital crack)
Soul Callibur (sp?) 2
Viewtiful Joe
Viewtiful Joe 2

There, that should keep anybody busy for a while.

Later

Edit for the above post... If you can find a used GC or if you can borrow a friend's GC and rent RE4, I HIGHLY reccomend atleast giving it a try.

To answer the original poster's question I don't think it's likely that RE4 will be ported to Xbox. Xbox represents a very small part of Capcom's business and by the time a port could be ready Xbox 2 will be out.

Li Mu Bai said:
Phil opened my eyes & reminded me of some of the more indepth aspects regarding platform-centric engines I hadn't always considered before. Like those system intangibles that don't necessarily appear on the spec-sheet.

That might be true for some games like Jak3, which might be hard to port, but Resi 4, eventhough it looks great, has nothing Xbox couldn't do.

Dr Evil said:
Li Mu Bai said:
Phil opened my eyes & reminded me of some of the more indepth aspects regarding platform-centric engines I hadn't always considered before. Like those system intangibles that don't necessarily appear on the spec-sheet.

That might be true for some games like Jak3, which might be hard to port, but Resi 4, eventhough it looks great, has nothing Xbox couldn't do.

engine-wise i couldn't even speculate, but rendition-wise, i'd say re4 uses overdraw rather aggressively: lots and lots of insanely lush particles-based fires amids volumetric fog.. whereas ps2 wouldn't have problems handling that i'm not quite sure about that "i'd-share-my-underwear" green box.

talyn99 said:
Microsoft, HATE THEM, but glad they are in the game, cause they spanked Ken's IMGETTINGARROGANTLIKENINTENDO'S ass back to reality.

How exactly did they do that?

Tuttle said:
talyn99 said:
Microsoft, HATE THEM, but glad they are in the game, cause they spanked Ken's IMGETTINGARROGANTLIKENINTENDO'S ass back to reality.

How exactly did they do that?

Not with software, but MS did both accelerate & influence Sony's online plans. I remember an article stating this quite some time ago. As well as the PS3 supplying a comprehensive XBL-type service for the PS3.

How did they spank Ken's ass. WHen the specs for X-box came out. Sony made a more powerfull EE + GS, and was going to re-release PS2 if need be. The specs put the fear in them, not to mention Lorning's decision to scrap Oddworld on PS2 in favor for X-Block. I hated them for that and will not play an oddworld game until they are back on a Sony or Nintendo system.

And you remember the PS2 developer's manual was not written in english as I remember it, and SOny left developers on their own. Nintendo's arrogance, chopped off their legs so to speak, and Sony's Playstation one was meant to be a Nitendo systems(much to Nintendo's dimay at the success of the brand).

SO yes, when I was reading all these things, i was like, Oh no, ken went ahead and got him a brass set like Nintendo, which is the reason ninety are losing their luster(except for the Gameboys, which 4ever will remain an enigma).

I guess PS2 can be said to be an enigma, which is why x-box fanboys are such the assholes they are now. But I hope I answered everybody's questions.
peace

edited by moderator:

Goodbye talyn99, you are gone.

talyn99 said:
How did they spank Ken's ass. WHen the specs for X-box came out. Sony made a more powerfull EE + GS, and was going to re-release PS2 if need be. The specs put the fear in them, not to mention Lorning's decision to scrap Oddworld on PS2 in favor for X-Block. I hated them for that and will not play an oddworld game until they are back on a Sony or Nintendo system.

Huh? I've never ever heard of Sony making an "upgraded" PS2 to compete against Xbox, and I doubt Lanning's move to Xbox kept them up at night either.

Out of left field, resurrecting an old thread, and making an extremely rude and pointless reply.

Congratulations! You're leading the way for the 2005 Razzies!

It almost feels as if RE4 is the first salvo of the next gen war... Its like a glimpse into what next level gaming ought to be...

I play my xbox the most then my gcn (I dont have a ps2) and with the exception of chronicles of riddick... I cant think of anything I have seen or played on xbox (including Halo 2) that matches the quality of RE4 on GCN... Im sure xbox could do it...probably fairly easily... Im just not sure if xbox could do it better.

there is a difference you know.

You guys are mixing art style and development decisions with what the hardware can do. I don't think there's much the gamecube could do in released games that couldn't be done on xbox. Save for some specific feature in hardware that hardly is used, but that's not to say that also couldn't be done on xbox.

"doing it better" on any platform is a development choice. What would doing it better on xbox mean? use more polygons on the characters? more animated characters on screen at one time? yeah it could probably do that but it's a development decision.

Well I think the biggest problem this gen is cross platform games. When they do these they have to optimize far more generally and they can't take advantage of any platform's strengths. And, in general, they don't do it very well.

So, RE4 is a Gamecube game. They optimized the hell out of the game for Gamecube. Porting it over will probably be very hard and a lot will likely have to be reworked/recoded because of the big differences between the consoles.

BTW, I think Eternal Darkness is my favorite game this gen on any console :) Though I don't have RE4 yet, but it's on my list.

"Soon you will come to understand fear as I have......"

Qroach said:
"doing it better" on any platform is a development choice. What would doing it better on xbox mean? use more polygons on the characters? more animated characters on screen at one time? yeah it could probably do that but it's a development decision.

What about texture resolution? I would think that artists keep their source/non-downsized textures somewhere... And it's just a matter of switching in the higher res versions to fill up the memory.

then again...

I'm no developer, but could ported code become so bloated that the extra memory in the xbox is moot?

honjestly, i don't think there's such thing as a "really" optimized or "coded to the hardware" gamecube game. From what i understand, you can't get close enough to the hardware to do that.

Back