Nintendo President 2nd GDC Keynote Speaker

Wow that was unexpected. When is GDC? Ninty never shows up for that. This could be something big!?

MEGATON!!!!!!111111

Nintendo is going to buy Microsoft, to get to the hearts of gamers everywhere. That's what he means! Woot!

Satoru Iwata - President, Nintendo
His keynote is entitled "The Heart of a Gamer".
I look into my crystal ball...
"...gamers don't want long complicated games... blah blah blah.... prefer short and simple... blah blah blah..."

:devilish:

OK, maybe for my own selfish reasons I agree a little. That's my preference.

you forgot:

gamers don't care about graphics... sound.. etc..

online isn't important (stance that will change when next nintendo console will have built-in network)

Magnum PI said:
online isn't important (stance that will change when next nintendo console will have built-in network)

You guys were doing a good job of mocking actual statements until this one. Nintendo never said online wasn't important; what they have said is they do not currently see it as a viable platform to earn money and has hurdles that make it less vital at this time. They have always said that when online becomes "big" they will be there (although I think that is a mistake on their part, but oh well).

Nintendo is correct in some ways. Many games require additional support from the developer, a month-to-month subscription model has not made a big splash yet with mainstream consumers (I know I wont pay $15 a month for a game on top of the $50 I pay for it!!!!), and a lot of people still don't have broadband and WONT over the next 5years in the US.

So I think Nintendo possibly going with built-in (wireless?) networking is consistant with their concerns. What I think they have missed is that "On-line is cool" and appeals to hard core and adult gamers. Online gaming is an olivebranch in some ways. Another thing is that Online gaming is becoming a check-box item that will matter. e.g. I am a long time Nintendo customer. But my next gen console(s) will need online support because I like multiplayer games more than singleplayer. Now that my area has cable, which I have, there is no reason not to get an online enabled console.

Goldni said:
Wow that was unexpected. When is GDC? Ninty never shows up for that. This could be something big!?

IIRC, the designer of LOZ: Wind Waker showed up at GDC 2004.

*Cough, cough* if true many will eat crow:

-Includes "Home Game function" which uses IEEE protocol to locate and communicate with other Nintendo 21s in the vicinity
-"Home Game function" is free, connect the AC adaptor and the machine talks to nearby Nintendo 21s and "Nintendo Home" Save data is stored on the main unit and affects other machines over the network.
-"Nintendo Home" machine is like a base station that will be put in many places and uses the PHS network for communication (popular mobile phone network). Will connect to handheld game machines and supports "Home Game function", also sends latest info from Nintendo.
-"Nintendo Home" is being jointly developed with Kyosera.

Albeit not conventional, it *is* a free service. Imagine that gents.

Who is "many" and why would they eat crow? And if the rumors turn out to be false will YOU be the one eating crow?

Ty said:
Who is "many" and why would they eat crow? And if the rumors turn out to be false will YOU be the one eating crow?

Those that are continously saying "Nintendo isn't going online." Despite the DS is going to do so, & despite that NOA has openly stated that they were working on creating a "wireless console gaming community." Not LAN, not tunneling. And yes, if it turns out that they have no plans to pursuit this community, I will indeed eat crow.

Hmm, I don't recall anyone (here at least) saying that Nintendo WASN'T going online. Many have chided Nintendo for NOT going online with GCN but that's very different than predicting that they would eschew it completely with their next gen platform.

You weren't around when the rumors about the Gameboy Player being a network device that used cellular technology but we went through a whole slew of issues it would need to surmount. I'm not saying the rumors are wrong but I remain unconvinced ATM.

cybamerc said:
You do realize that that info is fake?

I hadn't heard official confirmation one way or the other on that, but you're quite reliable so thanks. I said as much in a thread here (the 5.4GB disc capacity, etc.) My initial post regarding the info:

Complete & total BS, CR gets their verified news from japanese websites now?
http://p2.chbox.jp/read.php?url=htt.../1106658928/l50

No way would Iwata would approve of a platform design even remotely similar to that of the GC under his watch 1st off. He is very aware of the "purple lunchbox" perception. I expect a much sleeker design, reminiscent of the SP. Also, since when does Nintendo incorporate numbers attached with their consoles? Could be a codename like Dolphin one could assume, but this alone should've tipped anyone off that this was a fake. From Johnnyram at GAF:

-Name of machine is "Nintendo 21"
-Planned for release at end of 2005<Impossible, exactly where are the dev. kits?
-Medium is 2-sided 8cm disc, 5.4GB capacity, in a shellcase<2.7GB maximum per side? Not even doubling the GCs 1.5GB? How do 3rd parties feel that have already exceeded this data amount this gen?
-Includes "Home Game function" which uses IEEE protocol to locate and communicate with other Nintendo 21s in the vicinity<What distance exactly constitutes "this vicinity?"
-"Home Game function" is free, connect the AC adaptor and the machine talks to nearby Nintendo 21s and "Nintendo Home"s (? could be Form instead of Home - katakana is vague). Save data is stored on the main unit and affects other machines over the network. <Verification of a hard drive?
-"Nintendo Home" machine is like a base station that will be put in many places and uses the PHS network for communication (popular mobile phone network). Will connect to handheld game machines and supports "Home Game function", also sends latest info from Nintendo.
-"Nintendo Home" is being jointly developed with Kyosera.
-Controller is like GC controller but "rubbing" is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a game by rubbing the controller/buttons. Also the controller has a slot. <A slot in the console, or on the controller itself?
-The whole controller is pressure sensitive. So rubbing can be done with the buttons or via grip.
-Digital outputs included
<LOL

Come on now, some of it is very plausible as they appear to be taking & expanding upon Chunsoft's Homeland online premise, the new controller interface was known already somewhat, but talk about incomplete & vague for a supposed "info leak" from the actual presentation? Doubtful, here's some more "speculation," & it gets even wilder.

http://www.geek.com.br/modules/noticias/ve...p?id=1940&sec=6

Regardless, NOA's statement still stands.

Back