Questions on WGF 1.0

azopi

Newcomer
Now it's well-known that Avalon, Microsoft's new presentation subsystem, the successor of GDI+ will require WGF 1.0, Microsoft's new unified API for both 3D and 2D graphics.
We all know that Longhorn's Aero, Aero Glass and the highest tier Diamond GUIs will use the Avalon , so will require a WGF 1.0 compliant GPU.
nVidia is going to introduce the new WGF 1.0 compatible drivers for its GeForce 6 product line soon.
But what about ATi? Are the R3** and R4** based GPUs WGF 1.0 compliant? Isn't SM3 support is a requirement for WGF 1.0?
If so, those of us with a shiny new X850 or X800 based graphics card won't be happy a few months from now when first public Longhorn Beta will be shown.

madmartyau said:
From what I understand WGF 1.0 covers base DX9 functionality, and then WGF 2.0 will be what would have been DX 10.

Yes, it's evident, but which DX9 does WGF 1.0 cover?
Is it 9.0a, 9.0b or 9.0c?

I should imagine the best clue for whatever the final requirements of at least minimal support of the 3D interface will be the capabilities of GMA900 - there are going to be a lot of DX9 "capable" integated graphics out there by the time Longhorn hits and they are likely to be wanting to cover those.

Previous requirements for the interface have always pointed to PS2.0 as being the baseline, but that doesn't necessarily mean that WGF1.0 will be limited to that in terms of what the API supports.

azopi said:
madmartyau said:
From what I understand WGF 1.0 covers base DX9 functionality, and then WGF 2.0 will be what would have been DX 10.

Yes, it's evident, but which DX9 does WGF 1.0 cover?
Is it 9.0a, 9.0b or 9.0c?

My bolding. Read what i wrote. What do you think base DX9 functionality means?

Does that mean DX8 cards won't run any form of the Longhorn GUI? That surprises me, because up to now all versions of Windows have had a fall-back 16 color VGA mode.

BOOMEXPLODE said:
Does that mean DX8 cards won't run any form of the Longhorn GUI? That surprises me, because up to now all versions of Windows have had a fall-back 16 color VGA mode.

It means the entire new GUI won't be able to run on them. A scaled back version should be able to though.

BOOMEXPLODE said:

a "compatible" mode will exist, but not as nice.

LeGreg said:
BOOMEXPLODE said:

a "compatible" mode will exist, but not as nice.
The "compatible mode" = Windows Classic (aka Windows 2000) look

Question is . .who'd want to use it. I like my Classic Windows Desktop thankyou very much. Hate the XP style desktop.

If it's 3D though it could be kewl .. but it'd have to be really kewl then.

US

I wouldn't be surprised if even FX5200's meet the WGF1.0/dx9.0L (base?) requirements when it comes to standalone graphics sollutions (especially after reading Dave's comments about integrated sollutions).

Unknown Soldier said:
Question is . .who'd want to use it. I like my Classic Windows Desktop thankyou very much. Hate the XP style desktop.

If it's 3D though it could be kewl .. but it'd have to be really kewl then.

US

How "kewl" can it really be in the end, if you have to respect compatibility even on integrated sollutions?

Ailuros said:
I wouldn't be surprised if even FX5200's meet the WGF1.0/dx9.0L (base?) requirements when it comes to standalone graphics sollutions (especially after reading Dave's comments about integrated sollutions).
At least in it's current form, Longhorn uses DX9.0c and the new "3D GUI" works with it.

Ailuros said:
How "kewl" can it really be in the end, if you have to respect compatibility even on integrated sollutions?

I'm not too worried since it'll have to accomodate WGF2.0 and I intend to have a WGF2.0 card when it comes out.

As for how kewl .. well it better allow huge functionality in 3D if it's to be way kewl.

US

Back