GT4 in Game Cube, how it could be this version?

Devourer said:
PC-Engine said:
If RE4 is possible on GCN then GT3/4 is possible on it too.

Yes, letterboxed, 30 fps and 16bit texture with lots of dithering I think it would be more than likely.

Congratulation for comparing two radically different game engines.

To anser the question: GT4 is of course possible on GC. Just the pixel fill rate may be a concern to 60fps at 1080i.

PS2 version of RE4 needs to be downgraded... ;)

Li Mu Bai said:
Devourer said:
PC-Engine said:

Yes, letterboxed, 30 fps and 16bit texture with lots of dithering I think it would be more than likely.

To anser the question: GT4 is of course possible on GC. Just the pixel fill rate may be a concern to 60fps at 1080i.

It's not even true 1080i, nor 720p for that matter. (4mb of VRAM cannot display true HDTV resolutions.) It's displaying 640x1080i internally and then stretching it horizontally x3 (basically showing the same pixel 3 times in a row horizonatlly). That's far from true 1080i (1920 horizonal pixels). It's not even rendering as many pixels as 720P (1280 pixels x 720 pixels vertically).

In a single frame (60th of a second), GT4's "Hivision" potentially has to crank out 345,600 new pixels (640x540), while a true 1080i 60FPS game would have to crank out 1,036,800 new pixels (1920x540), and 720P 60FPS game would have to crank out 921,600 new pixels (1280x720).

345,600 vs. 1,036,800. That's only a third of true 1080i. (just in case you missed the discussion) Though still quite a feat acheived by Polyphony. And btw no PS2 games have dithering, shimmering, IQ problems, etc.?

In that case, isn't the resolution basically the same as running a console game in 480p widescreen? Widescreen 480p is 409,600 pixels, if that's the case then f-zero gx on gamecube runs at that res and at 60 fps. So the 1080i mode given here is inferior to normal widescreen in games?

Almasy said:
Being serious, I can´t believe some people dismiss the game´s graphics due to some "PS2-enhancing" budget. Forza doesn´t look nowhere near as good, and neither does PGR2 (both have better than ok budgets I presume), so I like to think Polyphony is doing something great somewhere in that old machine.:)

GT3/4 has lots of shimmering even with a HUGE budget and LONG development time.

Fox5 said:
In that case, isn't the resolution basically the same as running a console game in 480p widescreen? Widescreen 480p is 409,600 pixels, if that's the case then f-zero gx on gamecube runs at that res and at 60 fps. So the 1080i mode given here is inferior to normal widescreen in games?

I've noticed that widescreen 480p games on the xbox are rendered at 720x480 actually...

Well, the screenshots and videos I've recorded directly show up as that resolution.

Just an fyi , The average console game costs 49.99 usd

The store makes 15
Developer makes 10-20
Publisher makes 10-20 depending on deal

So u figure they are making about 20 per copy sold
so 2 million copys is like 20-80 million made depending on if they are thier own publisher or what the deal would be

RichardCypher101 said:
Add taxes into this...

-Rich

I said usd .

IN the usa tax is added when paying , not like vat which is included into price

So a game does sell for 49.99 then in new jersey where I live its 6% sales tax that is to that price .

Unless u mean tax they pay ... but that isn't really important in this conversation

in my experience the retail markup (what the store makes) is about 20% of the msrp, so about $10 on a $50 game. i haven't checked in years, so it could be closer to $15 now. the relativly small markup (compared to, say, music and movies, which is about 40-50% of msrp) is why places like ebgames push used merchandise, and try to tack on strategy guides and other accessories. it's also why most online retailers sell new games for closer to what brick and morter retailers do (again, compared to other media like music and movies). even if they sell at cost (like some online retailers do with some products) there isn't a really compelling difference most of the time.

dunno about a year ago one of the dms broke it down for us , that was what we were told so who knows haha

like i said, my info is old, at least 5 or 6 years. jvd, do you work at a retailer?

The way I know it is that the games are shipped. Retailers will make about $3 to $10 for every game sold.

PC-Engine said:
GT3/4 has lots of shimmering even with a HUGE budget and LONG development time.
Does it (GT4) really?
As to my eyes the shimmering in GT3 wasn't that bad, and really I can recall only seeing it in some of the more contrasty, grassy greeny woody tracks, and only in some far away objects.

GT4 has reportedly even improved quite a bit from that (I read from some review, was it the 1up, or Firingsquad, don't remember).
And if you play it in 720p or 1080i, I'd think the shimmering would be nonexsitent.

rabidrabbit said:
GT4 has reportedly even improved quite a bit from that (I read from some review, was it the 1up, or Firingsquad, don't remember).
And if you play it in 720p or 1080i, I'd think the shimmering would be nonexsitent.

I'm Not commenting about the flickering, but the game doesn't have 720p and the 1080i is fake.

Anyway, GT4 is "HDTV enhanced. I might have been wrong in 720p and 1080i as I didn't bother checking the facts, but it does have some higher res mode, doesn't it? And they, according to all the reviews, are looking much cleaner than (already quite clean and flicker free) the standard resolution mode.

rabidrabbit said:
Anyway, GT4 is "HDTV enhanced. I might have been wrong in 720p and 1080i as I didn't bother checking the facts, but it does have some higher res mode, doesn't it? And they, according to all the reviews, are looking much cleaner than (already quite clean and flicker free) the standard resolution mode.

Isn't the high-res mode reserved for the replays only? At least that'S what i heard...

I don't think it is.
And I checked, it's 480p and 1080i. And they should be available in gameplay too.
Someone with the game could confirm this.

rabidrabbit said:
I don't think it is.
And I checked, it's 480p and 1080i. And they should be available in gameplay too.
Someone with the game could confirm this.

480p is the real thing, as for the 1080i, Li Mu Bai explained the whole thing in page 4 on this thread.

Li Mu Bai said:
It's not even true 1080i, nor 720p for that matter. (4mb of VRAM cannot display true HDTV resolutions.) It's displaying 640x1080i internally and then stretching it horizontally x3 (basically showing the same pixel 3 times in a row horizonatlly). That's far from true 1080i (1920 horizonal pixels). It's not even rendering as many pixels as 720P (1280 pixels x 720 pixels vertically).

In a single frame (60th of a second), GT4's "Hivision" potentially has to crank out 345,600 new pixels (640x540), while a true 1080i 60FPS game would have to crank out 1,036,800 new pixels (1920x540), and 720P 60FPS game would have to crank out 921,600 new pixels (1280x720).

345,600 vs. 1,036,800. That's only a third of true 1080i. (just in case you missed the discussion) Though still quite a feat acheived by Polyphony. And btw no PS2 games have dithering, shimmering, IQ problems, etc.?

PC-Engine said:
Devourer said:
PC-Engine said:

PS2 version of RE4 needs to be downgraded... ;)

Yes, even Neo-Geo fighters had to be downgraded when ported on PlayStation. :)

RE4 will be downgraded because it was conceived on a vastly different platform (and slightly better to boot). GT4 pushes PS2 to the max in its own specifications, and a GC port wouldn't be a no-brainer either. I don't think the GameCube is such a powerhouse compared to PS2. It IS an overall better system, but overall it's advantages are not so consistent. And it has its weaknesses too. Xbox is what I would consider a serious improvement over PS2 (and even it has weaknesses, since it's a different hardware configuration as well).

Devourer said:
RE4 will be downgraded because it was conceived on a vastly different platform. GT4 pushes PS2 to the max in its own specifications, and a GC port wouldn't be a no-brainer either.

Does it? Says who?
Only because it looks pretty, it doesn't mean it's pushing PS2 to the max. I'm not saying it doesn't, i'm just saying it might not.

JAK3 and R&C3 were fantastic PS2 pushers.

london-boy said:
Devourer said:
RE4 will be downgraded because it was conceived on a vastly different platform. GT4 pushes PS2 to the max in its own specifications, and a GC port wouldn't be a no-brainer either.

Does it? Says who?
Only because it looks pretty, it doesn't mean it's pushing PS2 to the max. I'm not saying it doesn't, i'm just saying it might not.

JAK3 and R&C3 were fantastic PS2 pushers.

Well, that's my opinion, if I am permitted to have one. :)

Jak 3 and R&C3 are fantastic too, but GT4 is simply incredible to my eyes.

Back