Not Xbox 2 or Xenon, but Xbox 360

360? Hmmn, isn't it supposed to have three main CPUs? Perhaps a version of the PPC970, say a processor called PPC960. Three processors get us the 3 the 60 is the last two digits of the cpu name and the last two digits of the name of the console.

Or I am on crack.

Kolgar said:
whoops, jvd, I wasn't actually telling YOU to go play with your Virtual Boy. That was a little hypothetical humor for you - sorry for the misunderstanding.

I know , its just that my name is joe and i do have a virtual boy so i thought i'd joke around ;)

nihilistcanada said:
Three processors get us the 3 the 60 is the last two digits of the cpu name and the last two digits of the name of the console.

Or I am on crack.
No, you're just thinking like a computer nerd and not like a microsoft marketroid. They'd never name it after some subtle/complicated scheme referring to the central processors of the thing, remember that most of the people who will be buying these things - AKA "parents", haven't the faintest clue what a central processor is, nor would they care what its type number happens to be or how many there are of them. My own mother, whom raised me as I sat in front of my computer thought for years, if not decades, the computer part of a PC was the monitor... How on earth would people like that understand "360" if it refers to three imaginary powerpc 760 processors? :LOL:

It has to be something that makes sense to pure idiots. Like, it sits on a rotating tray that can spin around. Something direct, tangible like that.

First pic of the Xbox 360:

accel2.jpg

:oops: ;)

Fredi

Sorry to bring this topic back to the top, but I found something that seems to be a neat coincendence...

360 is an area code in the state of Washington. It's not for Redmond or Bellevue, but it's outside that area. In fact, most of western Washington outside Seattle and other larger cities is in the 360 area code. Maybe there's a Microsoft office in that area? I looked, but didn't find anything.

Tommy McClain

AzBat said:
Sorry to bring this topic back to the top, but I found something that seems to be a neat coincendence...

360 is an area code in the state of Washington. It's not for Redmond or Bellevue, but it's outside that area. In fact, most of western Washington outside Seattle and other larger cities is in the 360 area code. Maybe there's a Microsoft office in that area? I looked, but didn't find anything.

OMG. Area 360 :oops: :oops: :oops: That's the last proof: Bill Gates is an alien. Now everybody wear your tinfoil hat :LOL:

Seriously, maybe that's where their chip plant is...?

hupfinsgack said:
AzBat said:

OMG. Area 360 :oops: :oops: :oops: That's the last proof: Bill Gates is an alien. Now everybody wear your tinfoil hat :LOL:

Seriously, maybe that's where their chip plant is...?

LOL

Umm, "Area Code" is a phone number prefix. It covers quite a bit of the state of Washington...

Aberdeen, Bellingham, Olympia and Vancouver(,WA not BC)

I don't think Microsoft owns any chip plants. TSMC and IBM will be doing the manufacturing.

Anyway, I don't think it's pertinent info. I just thought it was an interesting coincidence.

Tommy McClain

Near Olympia? None that I know of. The Xbox, games and games testing guys are all in Redmond (not the main campus, but within a few miles) and have the 425 area code.

Inane_Dork said:
Near Olympia? None that I know of. The Xbox, games and games testing guys are all in Redmond (not the main campus, but within a few miles) and have the 425 area code.

That's what I understood as well. Oh well, funny nonetheless. ;)

Tommy McClain

Imo dreamcast was a really inventive name for a console. Games are produced from greators dreams, Gamers dream what kind of games there ougth to be in the future and this machine is a dreamcaster. What do you think, too hard for your mompops :LOL:

Buy the way number 64 after Nintendo brand was not meaningless, majority knew the term 8bit and 16bit entertaiment systems, when 32bit machines came number 64 obviously indicated something totally mindblowingly powerful.

L_i_n_k said:
Imo dreamcast was a really inventive name for a console. Games are produced from greators dreams, Gamers dream what kind of games there ougth to be in the future and this machine is a dreamcaster. What do you think, too hard for your mompops :LOL:

Buy the way number 64 after Nintendo brand was not meaningless, majority knew the term 8bit and 16bit entertaiment systems, when 32bit machines came number 64 obviously indicated something totally mindblowingly powerful.

I think consistency is a good thing, Sega should have kept the planetary names thing. It's a cool idea. Saturn, Mars, Bounty, Cadbury... (OK now THAT was a bad joke)

Yeah , to bad were never going to see pluto , but then again one of jupiters moons will probably do that just fine . :LOL:

I think a lot of it has to do with timing. If MS releases the next xbox significantly earlier than PS3, when people eventually do a side by side comparison a name like "xbox 2" is going to reinforce that the xbox is older, maybe enough that people will consider it a generation behind the PS3 (especially if the PS3 has a significant performance advantage). They want a name that implies that the xbox is on equal footing, maybe even a bit ahead of the compitition. I don't think people are going to think of xbox 360 as being the 360th iteration, but rather are going to think of it more like xbox 3.60. It's PS3 plus a little extra.

Nite_Hawk

thats why I think xbox2000 sounds way cooler and advanced!

2000 is bigger then 3 ! or sony will come out with a playstation 3000 or something like that

hey69 said:
thats why I think xbox2000 sounds way cooler and advanced!

2000 is bigger then 3 ! or sony will come out with a playstation 3000 or something like that

NOOOOOOOOOO don't give them strange ideas!!! We already have NVIDIA and ATI battling it out with the 9800 and the 8500 and the X800 and the 5900U the 6800 and the whatever numbers they will use....

remember the time back before any details were released about the xbox but strong rumours existed about MS console plans.

if they told you then , their consoles name would be XBOX , wouldn't you laugh out Loud? i mean? wtf, an X and what a BOX? yes, a nice BOX they made, ... BIGBANGBOX, bangbusbox? ehu eheu stop . drinkin at work

hey69 said:
remember the time back before any details were released about the xbox but strong rumours existed about MS console plans.

if they told you then , their consoles name would be XBOX , wouldn't you laugh out Loud? i mean? wtf, an X and what a BOX? yes, a nice BOX they made, ... BIGBANGBOX, bangbusbox? ehu eheu stop . drinkin at work
J. Allard said in an interview XBox was a box for running DirectX - hence the name. Though by that reasoning, XB2 should be named XNABox.

X-in-a-box? X-na-box!

Um, I'll get my coat...

and an X is like a swastika with the arms cut of.. and a bit on his side
DerUNTERGANBox!

Back