Sell NVDA?

trinibwoy

Meh
Legend
Supporter
Not that this is the best forum for financial musings but with NVDA having so much upward momentum recently (from god knows where), is this a good time to sell? I bought in at $19.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations on good places to discuss such things I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Why would you sell when they are doing well? Aren't you supposed to sell when they start to do poorly? :D

Actually. You want to buy company stock when its at a low ((Usually when they do poorly) heh. And then sell when its at there peak. To make the best profit anyway.

However, you don't know they're at their peak until they start to go down. If you sell now, they could just as well continue to rise, especially as their market share seems to be increasing now too. :p

Guden Oden said:
However, you don't know they're at their peak until they start to go down. If you sell now, they could just as well continue to rise, especially as their market share seems to be increasing now too. :p

That's why you should sell some, but not necessarily all, when you have made a nice profit. Of course I should have listened to myself when I bought Nortel at $1.40 Canadian and said I would sell 20% at $10.00. At least I followed through with my ATI shares when I bought at $7.40 and sold at $23.33. Hopefully I won't get greedy with my Bombardier shares. Live and learn.

I hear Sony is using the 6200 32 MB Turbo Cache in a lot of their computers, so I'd hold. I think the 6200 will help profits for Nvidia a lot like the 9200 helped ATI a lot.

Guden Oden said:
Dell is using a lot of X300s in theirs... :devilish:

Haha, it's all relative though. The 6200's are gaining adoptance. While the X300's are already in Dell. Therefore ATI's price already reflects the relationship with Dell, where as the NVDA price may not reflect wins to come with the 6200.

If ATI gained new design wins it'd be different.

If you think the Sony Playstation 3 is going to be a big success then you might want to hang on to your stock. However, if you think it might flop, then sell. However, I think the former is more likely, from past events...

CMAN said:
Guden Oden said:
Dell is using a lot of X300s in theirs... :devilish:

Haha, it's all relative though. The 6200's are gaining adoptance. While the X300's are already in Dell. Therefore ATI's price already reflects the relationship with Dell, where as the NVDA price may not reflect wins to come with the 6200.

If ATI gained new design wins it'd be different.
All of this comes from the Alviso platform update that has only just happened, before that there were not that many pcie notebooks – the oem’s went heavily with ati.

trinibwoy said:
I bought in at $19.
Hehe, i got in at around 10, sold at 15. bought it again at 14, planning on selling at 27 (26.95 to be exact). Right now im buying ati, (and krispy kreme :) )
Also, if anyone has any recommendations on good places to discuss such things I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
The yahoo boards, but the noise there is unbelievable, not worth going there IMO.

epic

CMAN said:
I hear Sony is using the 6200 32 MB Turbo Cache in a lot of their computers, so I'd hold. I think the 6200 will help profits for Nvidia a lot like the 9200 helped ATI a lot.

Huh? If you look at Sony's online store there are far more new PCI-E desktop systems with various flavours of X300/X600 than anything else. A few 6600 wins have appeared but I see nothing for the 6200 as of yet.

On the notebook side there's the 6200 Go win with the FS series which was announced in NVDA's launch but is actually an option (Intel default). Just about everything else discrete is ATI. Sony's new Vaio S series notebook was supposed to feature the 6200 Go as well, but they apparently only released a Sonoma version in Japan. It's still Mobility 9700 in the rest of the world.

Note that I didn't research this just to spite you - it's part of the daily diligence I do as an ATI shareholder. Of course things could change over the coming weeks/months, but these PCI-E system specs are all fresh from Sony's site.

Fred da Roza said:
At least I followed through with my ATI shares when I bought at $7.40 and sold at $23.33.

Schweet!! :oops:

epicstruggle said:
trinibwoy said:
I bought in at $19.
Hehe, i got in at around 10, sold at 15. bought it again at 14, planning on selling at 27 (26.95 to be exact). Right now im buying ati, (and krispy kreme :) )
epic

Nice. Guess I'll hold it for now. Krispy Kreme huh? :)

kemosabe said:
CMAN said:

Huh? If you look at Sony's online store there are far more new PCI-E desktop systems with various flavours of X300/X600 than anything else. A few 6600 wins have appeared but I see nothing for the 6200 as of yet.

On the notebook side there's the 6200 Go win with the FS series which was announced in NVDA's launch but is actually an option (Intel default). Just about everything else discrete is ATI. Sony's new Vaio S series notebook was supposed to feature the 6200 Go as well, but they apparently only released a Sonoma version in Japan. It's still Mobility 9700 in the rest of the world.

Note that I didn't research this just to spite you - it's part of the daily diligence I do as an ATI shareholder. Of course things could change over the coming weeks/months, but these PCI-E system specs are all fresh from Sony's site.

I didnt' think you did it to spite me. I'm not sure how much info I was talking about was public, I had been talking to Sony Computer Reps about unreleased products.

I think you should wait till we know more about PS3. It will be a HUGE influence on NVIDIA. And it's likely to be a good influence on NVIDIA, regardless of how well PS3 actually does (NVIDIA will get big bucks from Sony either way).

So, i'd wait.

Guden, [company does well]-->[stock value increases]--->(SELL).
[company is in trouble]--->[stock value goes down]--->(buy stock, hoping it will pick up eventually)

i bought aapl at just over $21 a share. now it's in the 80's and the highest it's been in the history of the company... AND it's splitting on the 18th!

Just for fun, I looked up revenue figures for a couple of dates:

Revenue for 1995: $1 million
Revenue for 1998: $28 million
Revenue for 2001: $1.37 Billion
Revenue for 2004: $2 Billion (based upon NV reporting $560 million revenue in quarter just ended as they announced in a press release).

Edited revenue of $560 would just be sad lol ;)

Of course, there's no guarantee that this explosive growth will continue (PS3 is a worthy substitute for XBox2 in my opinion) from either NV or ATI (who had revenue of $600 million last quarter) but it is interesting nonetheless.

I would NEVER invest in a stock based upon the information on any message board (even Beyond3d's ;) ) btw.

There are so many factors to consider in deciding when to sell but the #1 rule on a falling stock is to cut your loss at 8% below your buy-in or target goal. And NEVER, EVER average down.

Set rules or goals on a rising stock and reset them along the way, i.e. at 25, I'll revise my sell point to 20, at 30, I'll revise my sell point to 25, etc., etc. But you have to stick to them - never fall in love with a stock.

Determine if your goals are realistic, i.e. is it realistic to expect a stock with a fairly large float (number of outstanding shares on the market), to move much in any direction over a short period of time? No, because it takes a large amount of institutional investment to move this kind of stock. Small stocks are volatile because there are usually a limited amount shares outstanding in comparison and are more likely to move in either direction faster, but the risk is greater.

And the most important factor in successful buying or selling of stock: Forget your pride and ego - don't argue with the market.

Absolutely right j_a_flores.

BTW NVIDIA is guiding flat to 5% up next quarter (566-594 million) in revenue and is trading near 28 a share after hours.

Diplo said:
If you think the Sony Playstation 3 is going to be a big success then you might want to hang on to your stock. However, if you think it might flop, then sell. However, I think the former is more likely, from past events...
Actually, this has little to do with whether a stock will go up or down, at least the way you put it.

The stock will go up if PS3 is a bigger success than other investors think. You only make money if the company does better than they're expected to do. The market value is just the equilibrium point of percieved value.

Back