New cars?

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
Me and the wife just got some letters from our Nissan dealer inviting us to bring our Quest & Pathfinder in for a juicy trade-in, and we're thinking about it.

What kind of Nissan should I get if I could get any of 'em? (Well, 'cept for the Z350....I kind of need a backseat. :oops: )

I have a guy at work who is 6'8", and he says the Altima has the largest interior of any car on the market for its price range. Plus its got plenty 'o power, especially the 3.5L-V6

Its not a minivan, but its a nice mid-price sedan.

The maxima is overpriced, IMHO.

Yeah, because people really need 3.5 liter engines...umm...when we...uh, haul lumber...err...or something. :rolleyes:

I had a '93 Altima before my Quest and loved it dearly, it was a fun little 5-speed that was really zippy. :)

I don't think we'd get an Altima though, I don't like the lines of their redesign of it...the tail end doesn't work for me. We'd have to get a Maxima. (SE, every bell & whistle too. ;) )

I'm looking at the new Quests and liking what I'm seeing, I'd be stepping up to a dual-display DVD player from my single display VCR and get an onboard navigation system too! :D (And the SE gots 17" low-profiles... )

My wife is trying to convince me we could get a Quest and a Z-roadster, but I think she's being a tad pie-in-the-sky. :rolleyes:

I still gotta check out the Murano thingies, I like how they look over a mini-van.

do NOT do a trade-in. Sell your vehicle privately. This is a typical scam that dealerships run- send out flyers / call people and tell them that they are running low on used cars to sell and because of this they'll give you a GREAT deal on a trade-in. Know the value of your car, check kbb.com

Not to worry Sage, I ain't falling for any scams. I do know the value on my vehicles, and my vehicles are all ridiculously low-mileage and pampered too. (My 98 Pathfinder just broke 30,000 miles last week....no I am not exagerating. :) )

Lemme take back what I said about not getting an Altima, I was just looking at their "SE-R" version and it's pretty sweet looking! (I've ALWAYS wanted a 6-speed!)

Guden Oden said:
Yeah, because people really need 3.5 liter engines...umm...when we...uh, haul lumber...err...or something. :rolleyes:
Why would anybody haul lumber in a sedan?

You swedes are wierd.

RussSchultz said:
Guden Oden said:

You swedes are wierd.

yeah, he has a point. i certainly don't need a 3.5 litre engine. what I need is a 4.4 litre although I could probably make due with a 6 litre.

An Altima SE-R and a Murano SE. We can get both in 6-speeds and matching grey finish with a DVD player and AWD for the Murano. 8)

Course, after configuring 'em the way I liked I had about $75k tied up in the two vehicles.... :?

I bought a new 2005 Frontier last month. My last daily-driver was an 86 1/2 Nissan P/U. Having doors that open, an odometer that works, and no smoke out the tail-pipe is total luxury to me. I'm a very happy camper! :LOL:

The 4 liter V-6 is exceptionally peppy, and this is with the 5-speed auto. I would have loved to have picked up the manual, but they are about as rare as chicken teeth around here. :?

I honestly do not get whats with US people and cars, here where I live (Denmark) we attempt to buy something which actually have some relation to the actual need, a 1.8L would be considered an above average sized engine.. (some years ago anyway, we are heading sligthly the wrong way as well)..

I guess its just how the US works, let the next generation care about the enviroment this one ruined..[/quote]

RussSchultz said:
Guden Oden said:

You swedes are wierd.

Man, I bust a gut on that.

I got a brother who swears by his Altima. Handles great .. lots of power.

Ninjagnu said:
I honestly do not get whats with US people and cars, here where I live (Denmark) we attempt to buy something which actually have some relation to the actual need, a 1.8L would be considered an above average sized engine.. (some years ago anyway, we are heading sligthly the wrong way as well)..

what do you mean actual need? a bigger engine on a lighter car = faster. I couldn't imagine trying to get on a freeway with a car much slower than my Honda Accord vtech. 0-100kph in just barely under 10s. I need something a lot faster though, like in the 6-7s range.

Sage said:
what do you mean actual need? a bigger engine on a lighter car = faster. I couldn't imagine trying to get on a freeway with a car much slower than my Honda Accord vtech. 0-100kph in just barely under 10s. I need something a lot faster though, like in the 6-7s range.

Um, don't u have speed limits on roads? Here we have 130kph limit on highways and even 1.4l engine car can reach that speed just fine.

As ninjagnu said, 1.8L is sufficient for most people (for sedans i mean). It's probably the mentality and what people are used to, but if you bought a car here with 3.5L engine, people would give you strange looks - either expressing their envy, because 95% of them couldn't afford such car or expressing their disgust over why would you need a 3.5L engine when there's 130kph limit.

Our older Opel Astra 1.6 16V could do 180kph just fine (not that you would need such speed).

Top end speed isn't the issue. Its accelleration to merge.

And a 3.5L-V6 still gets 20 in the city, and 28mpg on the highway.

That's better than my 2.5 (turbo).

yeah it's all about the merge. every morning I have to merge into a solid wall of 6 lanes (that's 6 lanes going each way) of traffic going between 60 and 80mph. 100kph is 62mph, don't remember how to convert the two. I also have to merge, on my way back from work, into 3 lanes of traffic that is going abut 70mph. And lets not forget all of those times you get stuck behind a large buss that's going about 50 and you have to reeeeeeally quickly jump over a lane and get up to about 70mph so that the big semi that's comming doesnt squash you. and of course lets not forget the 4 lanes (traffic going both ways- 2 lanes each) going about 50mph that I must dart accross on my way homw. and then there's the 2 lanes heading about 50 that I have to cross in order to get to the 2 lanes heading the opposite direction and once I'm there I have to make an IMMEDIATE 90 degree turn and be going 40 so as not to get squashed by the cars comming up behind me. this is just my home-work-home commute that I must do every day. And, my Honda 4-cyl gets about the same gas mileage, or less, than a 3.25L V6 325i. I test-drove a 3.28L 328i recently and had to merge in front of a truck that, had I been in my Honda, would have definitely squashed me. As it was, the bimmer barely managed to squeeze into possition.

edit:
lets not forget the primary factor of buying a fast car- FUN! You must not have ever driven a fast car. Go testdrive a Porsche 911 and you'll see why people like big engines on small cars. Relax, test driving it doesnt mean you have to buy it. Consider it free entertainment!

Ninjagnu said:
I dunno, I like zippy cars. It's not the top-end speed I'm looking for as it is pretty rare for me to go above 90mph, it is how fast it can get me to it that is important for me.

I like driving, and I enjoy a vehicle that handles/performs well as does my wife. Why should I not get something that fits that description? :|

Back