Best water effects in a game console. (put your opinion)

Nonsensical sentence of the decade.

how's that? If one piece of hardware has more graphical features that can be used to make something look better when compared to the next, technially it should be possible to do that (however it comes down to artistic decisions at that point).

Shifty, I did say "too" reflective. At least in any of the games that I've seen use it. I'm certain there's other performance related draw backs to using EMBM as well. Otherwise it would be the dominate type of bump mapping.

Qroach said:
on a side note, why is it that it's so hard to accept that something looks better on xbox compared to a cube vresion, considering all the features xbox box has in hardware. Technically it "should" look better when you have more hardware feature options to use compared to the game cube hardware

Becuase as we know deep down, the best hardware feature a console can have is the badge of your favourite company. This feature makes it able to match or outperform any other console, regardless of features or speed, while also ensuring that any features it does lack are ones which aren't needed anyway and actually make games look worse (while at the same time still being possible on your favourite console anway - it's just that people refuse to use them).

This "favourite company badge" feature also makes sure the console gets the best games and the most hardcore games - these games are also often proof of its ability to match or outperform any other console, and that it doesn't need the aforementioned features it lacks (that it can do anyway). :p

dot3 fo life

Anyway, I dunno if physics calculations count as 'effects'. If so, I'd say WR:BS.

If we are just talking about water shaders, I think most of them look the same, and many overdone. I did really like the water in Morrowind though.

function said:
Becuase as we know deep down, the best hardware feature a console can have is the badge of your favourite company.
Perhaps you've hit on something there? Maybe MS's interchangeable faceplates will allow different company badges on Xenon so the system's always the best? :D

Becuase as we know deep down, the best hardware feature a console can have is the badge of your favourite company. This feature makes it able to match or outperform any other console, regardless of features or speed, while also ensuring that any features it does lack are ones which aren't needed anyway and actually make games look worse (while at the same time still being possible on your favourite console anway - it's just that people refuse to use them).

This "favourite company badge" feature also makes sure the console gets the best games and the most hardcore games - these games are also often proof of its ability to match or outperform any other console, and that it doesn't need the aforementioned features it lacks (that it can do anyway).

:? sigh... very true...

haha. interesting function post.

best looking water is HL2. in fact HL2 is best looking game now, art and tech.

london-boy said:
Wow, r u guys still discussing water effects?! My god i thought this was Y2K kind of material....

Eventhough you were also discussing this few hours ago :D, but you'r right this is pointless, Xbox is numero uno, when we talk about water, just look at the games. I don't understand why it's so hard to say that Xbox can do something better than PS2 or Gamecube, eventhough the difference is like night and day.

Dr Evil said:
london-boy said:
Wow, r u guys still discussing water effects?! My god i thought this was Y2K kind of material....

Eventhough you were also discussing this few hours ago :D, but you'r right this is pointless, Xbox is numero uno, when we talk about water, just look at the games. I don't understand why it's so hard to say that Xbox can do something better than PS2 or Gamecube, eventhough the difference is like night and day.

:oops: Well i only said (and now one commented, although my post was obviously the best ;) ) that most of people's perception for "best looking water" really comes down to how the artist wanted the water to look, not necessarily dependant on the features used to convey the water look. Therefore i'd put this more under "art&design" than on "technicalities". But feel free to stone me to death for saying that.

Then things got dragged on and on and on and really, we've been through this many times 5 years ago... :D

london-boy said:
:oops: Well i only said (and now one commented, although my post was obviously the best ;) ) that most of people's perception for "best looking water" really comes down to how the artist wanted the water to look, not necessarily dependant on the features used to convey the water look. Therefore i'd put this more under "art&design" than on "technicalities". But feel free to stone me to death for saying that.

Yes I got your point, but I must disagree with it, I don't think this water issue is like GT4 vs Forza where that artistic difference might hold water. But good looking water is like a trademark for Xbox games and it usually looks very good. Have you seen the aquaduct level on Ninja Gaiden?, you just don't get water like that on these other consoles. I can imagine that second pic from Pariah also looking very nice on motion, and there is many more games which have good looking water, like morrowind and Doa 3. I'm not biased towards Xbox, I mostly play with My PS2, but I can still look in the mirror and say that, Xbox games have better looking water :D

Dr Evil said:
Confidence-Man said:

The second picture looks nice with those distortions, and way beoynd than anything on PS2 or Gamecube. We can discuss which console has the best looking games etc., but there is no point talking about water. Best looking water belongs to Xbox.

I've seen gamecube games with water like that, but I don't think water like that and environments like that.(or I may just have a rose colored memory, but how about starfox adventures and phantasy star online episode 2?)

function said:

This "favourite company badge" feature also makes sure the console gets the best games and the most hardcore games - these games are also often proof of its ability to match or outperform any other console, and that it doesn't need the aforementioned features it lacks (that it can do anyway). :p

Well put.

Chaos Theoryand Quantum Redshift for Xbox, Batman Returns CD (sewer levels) for Sega CD! Never "felt" water that was better than that though wave race and GC zelda come close.

The second picture looks nice with those distortions, and way beoynd than anything on PS2 or Gamecube.

Those distortions look cheap to me overall. Look at the distorted "WEST" nearest you and on the right. It looks like someones used the smear function in MS Paint..

To the topic at hand. XBox definitely has more games with good looking water, GC has a decent number but its more common on XBox for whatever reason (better known pixel shading environment?).

I'm just waiting for the "Best fire effects on a game console" thread. GC would win hands down with RE4. Though I'm sure some people wouldn't accept that so easily :)

I would have to go with Ninja Gaiden. Xbox is the system with the best water in games IMO.
Res4 wasnt all that hot.....i do think that GOD of War has some pretty cool water.

Back