Best water effects in a game console. (put your opinion)

mckmas8808 said:
I would have to go with God of War. The best on the PS2 anyway. So that automatically makes it one of the best on a console.

I hope that was a joke. Xbox games have superior water effects on this gen consoles. for Example Ninja Gaiden or Doa 3, but there are many others too.

superior by which definition? technically, artistically or by your own humble opinion :?:

(Disclaimer: I'm not agreeing nor disagreeing)

Phil:
superior by which definition? technically
In addition to the vertex workload, Xbox has programmable per-pixel shading and support for blends like DOT3 which are useful for producing water's surface shimmer among other things.

Phil said:
superior by which definition? technically, artistically or by your own humble opinion :?:

Well atleast technically and on my humble opinion. I think the difference is so big that, we can forget about artistic viewpoint.

Cold Fear.
I haven't played it, only seen some videos from xbox version.
The water isn't interactive as far as I know, but the storm waves look good, it looks a little like the water outside the tanker in MGS:SOL, but even better.
I don't think MGS3:SE water was that impressive.

MGS:SOL was the first game (and thus far the only I have playd) that made me feel wet :) The first steps in the deck of the tanker were a triumph of believable athmosphere in gaming.

The water in that first Pariah shot looks oddly out of place. It looks so much better than the rest of the scene.
I wonder how it'll look in motion.

Confidence-Man said:

The second picture looks nice with those distortions, and way beoynd than anything on PS2 or Gamecube. We can discuss which console has the best looking games etc., but there is no point talking about water. Best looking water belongs to Xbox.

I agree, just have a look at the splinter cell 3 pictures on Gamecube and xbox. it's like night and day...

We're comparing the best looking water dude. Not best looking game. It's common knowledge that there's some effects that can't be accomplished on the gamecube at a good performance level or even at all.

on a side note, why is it that it's so hard to accept that something looks better on xbox compared to a cube vresion, considering all the features xbox box has in hardware. Technically it "should" look better when you have more hardware feature options to use compared to the game cube hardware

Qroach said:
We're comparing the best looking water dude. Not best looking game. It's common knowledge that there's some effects that can't be accomplished on the gamecube at a good performance level or even at all.

on a side note, why is it that it's so hard to accept that something looks better on xbox compared to a cube vresion, considering all the features xbox box has in hardware. Technically it "should" look better when you have more hardware feature options to use compared to the game cube hardware

Well that would be correct if it weren't for the fact that people still decide how water looks in a game, therefore, you could have bloody raytraced water that looks like crap compared to PS2-level water, if the former was done by a lame-ass like... me... and the PS2 one was made by the people who made MGS2/3.
See my point? Obviously exhaggerated, but it was just to make it stand out more ;)

Qroach:

> We're comparing the best looking water dude.

No. You're comparing the water in an Xbox optimized game to the water in the butchered Cube port.

> It's common knowledge that there's some effects that can't be
> accomplished on the gamecube at a good performance level or even at all.

Sure. However, EMBM is well-suited for water effects.

No. You're comparing the water in an Xbox optimized game to the water in the butchered Cube port.

I don't know if it's "optimized" as much as it is the case that the cube simply didn't feature dot 3 bump mapping in hardware, and this is the reason it doesn't look as good.

Sure. However, EMBM is well-suited for water effects.

To be honest, EMBM is an overrated bump mapping method in my opinion. It makes things look too reflective or plastic like. I think as far as bump mapping goes, Dot 3 bumpmapping has the most uses.

Back