Best water effects in a game console. (put your opinion)

Duke Nukem 3D had unbelievable water. Even now I'd place it somewhere in the top 3, ahead of Wave Race Blue Storm and RE1.

Doom though.. might be the one that tops DN3D. I'm not sure how Carmack did it, but Jesus was that water real.

Being water phobic, I almost didn't want to play the game it was so intimidating!

Li Mu Bai said:
RE4
RE:Remake
Rogue Squadron:3
FF:CC
MGS:SOL
MGS3:SE
Baldur's Gate:DA
That list sounds perfectly right to me, I may add Splashdown, Halo and BG&E, though.

I remember being very suprised with the water in Mario Sunshine, I spent quite a while looking at it from various different angles :) As people have said Res Evil 4 has extremely varied water and every kind of water in the game is excellently done. Also WaveRace Blue Storm has to get a mention for its extremely varied and looking water which reacts incredibly realistically as you race over it. There are plenty of others worth mentioning, Rebel Strike, HL2 ect

eastcore

Your right, that water is horrible.

It doesn't even have splash effects when you shoot it.

What are you talking about. There are splash effects in the video's he posted...

Good looking water is usually an artistic feat, so I nominate Wind Waker for this. It just looks like I expect cartoon water to look. :)

But technically you have all those watersimulations, and while they are for me kind of old (Old Dos Demos, like in Psychic Links' demo). Getting refraction and all that is the step towards better looking water. However, you seldom have refraction/reflecation that really looks good.
First one I saw that really impressed me was Morrowind, despite its shortcomings (rendering the environment way to seldom).

Still there has been few attempts at truly volumetric water, that is complete fluid simulation. I guess there will be attempts at it soon, with something combining marching cubes and stoachic(?) particlesystems. Anyone wanna try?

Ozymandis said:
It's not on console, but Half-life 2 has got to be the one :)

Only this is the Console Talk forum, not the PC Games.

I am still very fond of WaveRace 64 on N64's water effects so I will name that one.

For DreamCast I would name the water in Shemue I/II since it looked better than RE Code Veronica.

For SNES the water effects in Super Mario World are still tops to me.

For Genesis the water in all the Sonic platform games.

For PSX the only water effects I liked were the ones in Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

For Saturn I would have to say that Tomb Raider's water looked amazing for its day, complete with distortion that was missing on PSX.

For PS2 although MGS II SoL S had nice water effects, I preffer the water effects in Mobile Suit Gundam Lost War Chronicles (Import)

For N GC the water in Zelda Wind Waker was very impressive.

For XBox the water effects in Halo 2 impressed me on the wide open enviroments, unfortunately the underwater effects sucked IMO. But... both the Conker demo and the Blinx 2 demo did feature some amazing looking, shimmering water.

For Saturn I would have to say that Tomb Raider's water looked amazing for its day, complete with distortion that was missing on PSX.
not to stray too far off topic i was surprised at the differances between saturn tomb raider and psx tomb raider. especialy the handstand animation being left out of the saturn version. i can see pure graphical differances, but...

see colon said:
not to stray too far off topic i was surprised at the differances between saturn tomb raider and psx tomb raider. especialy the handstand animation being left out of the saturn version. i can see pure graphical differances, but...

Well I do remember there being a rumor back then that Core was going to develop Tomb Raider 2 using an as yet unknown SEGA peripheral that according to the rumor would make TR2 on Saturn blow the PSX version out of the water.

I still remember that and that was back when there were rumors of VF3 being made on Saturn using sometype of 3d graphics cartridge that would enhance the Saturn...

However what I now believe as the best possible theory I can come up with is that Core was probably going to use the 4MB expasion cart in much the same way that Donkey Kong 64 and Zelda Majora's mask benefited from requiring the cart to play at all, richer textures, smoother 3d effects and who knows what else since Core would have probably had to use special assembly tools provided by SEGA but then again Sony killed that noise by making TR2 exclusive to PSX and the TR or Lara Croft games would have to be exclusive for some years, something that in my opinion Core or Eidos should never have signed because now no one cares about TR series, including yours truly.

hey69 said:
Wave Race: Blue Storm. was nice (that's on ps2 right?)

You're thinking of the other game that was called a Wave Race killer(I forget the name) but it wasn't. It had really pretty water, but no water physics like wave race.

BTW, by nicest water, are we talking looks or function? I don't think I've seen a game to combine both yet, maybe starfox adventures or baldur's gate: dark alliance.

Rebel Strike had extremely nice looking water, and doing low flybys over it was neat as all the water would splash up.

BTW, best mud goes to Rumble Roses, and best sand to Beach Spikers.(even though both just look like slow moving water)

I think we should do a best animation thread, it sucks that so many games have such stilted animations still.

Walking by the stone and iron fence by the church at night proved that Capcom shouild have really added some shadowing.

Didn't the early RE4 beta videos have shadowing?
Anyhow, RE4 had some really nice per vertex lighting, even without dark doom 3 like shadows.

BTW, Battletoads: Battlemaniacs for best looking reflective chess board!

Doshin The Gaint has nice water effects too, especially for a first generation GameCube title.

Even stranger is that it came out in the middle of n64's life in Japan, it was just a quick port to GameCube.

Water: RE4 on GCN, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, Quantum Redshift on Xbox- when you race through an area with water it sprays the windshield distorts the light passing though it and runs in rivulets (and spots) just like a real windshield.

Fire, smoke and heat distortion go to either GoW, RE4, Windwaker... the early level on windwaker which is dragons roost is an incredible use of cell shading and particle effects... i knew the GCN was special at that moment.

Best use of light and dark and metallic surfaces Chronicles of Riddick...

I'm surprise that nobody talk about "Beyond good and evil" which have an excellent water effect. It's far from the reflection/refraction/mercury effect from the other games but the "water feeling" is excellent.

Akumajou said:
Sony killed that noise by making TR2 exclusive to PSX and the TR or Lara Croft games would have to be exclusive for some years, something that in my opinion Core or Eidos should never have signed because now no one cares about TR series, including yours truly.

And how are those things connected?.

Back