Best water effects in a game console. (put your opinion)

define "best"? Most believable or most technical advanced water effects?

Most believable.... hmm, would have to be a pick between various games, one being Metal Gear Solid 2 that just gets it right, even if while it may not be the most technical advanced replication of water. One other thing is to consider that unlike other games, the water replication doesn't stop there, but when you enter the water for a swim, you'll see IMO the most believable replication of 'under water' scenery... with hundreds of bubbles and such effects reacting they way they would in real life. The interaction goes further when you see objects moving in the water, i.e. cans that move accoardingly when you enter the water or move past them close enough. Shooting into the water also is quite realistic.

Other games worth mentioning for water effects are Baulders Gate: Dark Alliance and ICO. There's another game I just played recently that had *beautiful* water effects, but I just can't seem to remember which one it was. Strange thing, haven't really played many games lately... maybe a game I just saw footage from? In anycase, that game had nice interactive movement with the water, similar like Baulders Gate: Dark Allience and quite a realistic touch like Metal Gear Solid 2 to go with it. Perhaps Jak 3 (not sure, would have to look into it again, but despite the cartoony looks, it had some nice effects I think).

Also, KillZone, I think has some nice water as well....?

Guden Oden said:
How about instead of umpteen "best water" thread, we create a "best somethingelse" thread instead, because if the game makers bother to do one special effect well in their title, one can be certain it's the motherfucking water.

I'm sick and tired of looking at all this mercury-like water all the time and then having flat, dull textures covering everything else. Why don't we have a "best brick" thread instead, huh? Or best dirt, best sand, best wooden planks. Best rusty corrugated steel, best gravel.

Water's overrated.

I laughed when I read this, funny post, but so true.

PC-Engine said:
RE4 does so many graphical effects extremely well it's my pick for water/rain, fire, particles, DOF, motion blur, heat wave and frame buffer distortions, bloom, fog, smoke, explosions. Then there's the boss 3D models and texturing which no other game comes close noteably the troll and the lake monster.

Wait a sec, aren't you the poster who is obsessed with the PC? Honestly, does it really stack up that well to even PC games in your opinion?

Wait a sec, aren't you the poster who is obsessed with the PC? Honestly, does it really stack up that well to even PC games in your opinion?

To be honest, I've never really been impressed by PC games other than HL2 with respect to graphical effects.

FFCC water is the best imo but it's not interactive meaning you can't get in it or touch it.. RE1 had amazing water. RE4 has several kinds. I just left the room (i think ch 3.2) where there was this oil glimmering in these planters reflecting torches and everything..it was the best damn thing I think I've ever seen afa a realistic liquid look.

RE4 is amazing..I wish they would have implemented some realistic shadowing ala Splinter Cell PT. Walking by the stone and iron fence by the church at night proved that Capcom shouild have really added some shadowing.

Oh and to the prick who wanted to talk about other in game objects beside water. Here you go..metal grating. Metroid Prime 1,2 on GCn had the best damn metal grating ever. Whoever the artist is that drew it needs a prize, all of the metal in Metroid looks impressive.

[eric adams]IF YOU'RE NOT INTO METAL, YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND, YEAHHhhheeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa[/eric adams]

kingdom hearts chain of memories has the BEST 3/4 overhead goofy in a videogame to date. and the donald isn't bad either.

see colon said:
[eric adams]IF YOU'RE NOT INTO METAL, YOU ARE NOT MY FRIEND, YEAHHhhheeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaa[/eric adams]

kingdom hearts chain of memories has the BEST 3/4 overhead goofy in a videogame to date. and the donald isn't bad either.

Oh puh-lease!!!!! Genesis Micky Mouse game is much better!!!!

PC-Engine said:

To be honest, I've never really been impressed by PC games other than HL2 with respect to graphical effects.

how ironic

hovz said:
PC-Engine said:

how ironic

It's only ironic if I were obsessed with the PC which I'm not. I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion... :?

I guess he must have looked at your nick and thought "Personal Computer" :)

Funny enought, the first thing I think about when I see your nick is about the NEC...

Does it have anything to do with any of those two?

PC-Engine said:
hovz said:
PC-Engine said:

how ironic

It's only ironic if I were obsessed with the PC which I'm not. I don't know how you arrived at that conclusion... :?

ironic to say uve only been impressed one time, and u name half life 2 as the title that impressed you graphically. :?

Back