Best water effects in a game console. (put your opinion)

Control_Pad

Newcomer
I have Nintendo game consoles, not another game platform (ok, a Mac but no it's a console...), and the best water effects since Turok from N64 for me are:

Resident Evil (remake).

001251pz.jpg

Super Mario Sunshine.

mariosunshine_072202_25.jpg

Wave Race: Blue Storm.

waverevmid1.jpg

Starfox Adventures.

starfoxadfin_092202_38.jpg

Come on! all water effects of all consoles in this thread, please! ;)

Halo 2 has an interesting water effect. Pretty exaggerated wavey effect.

At some angles you can even see real time reflection of other objects.

(In Metropolis, the scarab comes to blow up the tank and there's that water pool in the corner after you've climbed the steps... I found that if you crouch and look down and then aim around a bit to see the on coming scarab, you can actually see it's deformed reflection. It's kinda wack, and I'm pretty sure you aren't meant to see the reflection either. I'll see if I can't get any screenshots when I get home.)

Fable kind of does its water the same way (less wavey refraction), but the reflections are a little more obvious.

MechAssault 2: similar water interaction as those Snowblind Engine games (BGII, D&D:H) and some wavey refraction.

from a pure, technical, "this is as close to how water looks in real life" i would go with the RE remake. but i kinda prefer the water in sunshine. not so much the "ocean", but the fact the the drops shooting out of your water pack actualy refract the bacground is a nice little effect.

Acert93 said:
I heard RE4 has nice H2O effects. Anyone have some screen shots?

RE4's clear water looks very similarly to REmake's shown on above pic; RE4 also has the effect (maybe present in REmake too?) of 'rain over water surface' which is damn impressive.

This generation, water has been a benchmark it seems.. so it's hard to pick.

Different games did different things well. So far I agree with the majority of the posters here.

About SFA's water.. it looks good, but it's not in the same class as something like RE1. No way.

How about instead of umpteen "best water" thread, we create a "best somethingelse" thread instead, because if the game makers bother to do one special effect well in their title, one can be certain it's the motherfucking water.

I'm sick and tired of looking at all this mercury-like water all the time and then having flat, dull textures covering everything else. Why don't we have a "best brick" thread instead, huh? Or best dirt, best sand, best wooden planks. Best rusty corrugated steel, best gravel.

Water's overrated.

Guden Oden said:
How about instead of umpteen "best water" thread, we create a "best somethingelse" thread instead, because if the game makers bother to do one special effect well in their title, one can be certain it's the motherfucking water.

I'm sick and tired of looking at all this mercury-like water all the time and then having flat, dull textures covering everything else. Why don't we have a "best brick" thread instead, huh? Or best dirt, best sand, best wooden planks. Best rusty corrugated steel, best gravel.

Water's overrated.

Well I was just joking when I said bloodwake. :LOL:

Let's transform the thread into -

BEST ARTICULATED HANDS in a video game.

Then we'll do, best arm pits - then, most unique textures in a scene.

Guden Oden said:

Water's overrated.

prepare to be sick for some longer as you'll be seeing plenty of 'best look this' and 'best look that' threads util rendering gets into fully fledged QED 8)

Guden Oden said:
Why don't we have a "best brick" thread instead, huh? Or best dirt, best sand, best wooden planks. Best rusty corrugated steel, best gravel.

Pikmin 2 for all of those, AND water 8)

I'm not sure about water (too many different games to track, and too many different ways to present it), but RE4 would be my choice for fire.

RE4 does so many graphical effects extremely well it's my pick for water/rain, fire, particles, DOF, motion blur, heat wave and frame buffer distortions, bloom, fog, smoke, explosions. Then there's the boss 3D models and texturing which no other game comes close noteably the troll and the lake monster.

Back