Ati wants to go shopping

Albuquerque said:
I think we as posters on the forum should be entitled to a prorated piece of that $620mm pie. It is the population of Beyond3D of course that makes it so good :LOL:

So for my tiny number of posts, I'd get a check for like $4. But for you guys with the quintuple digits in your post counter, you'd be getting a few hundred! w00t!

Aha. A possible explanation for Digi's insane number of posts comes into view... 8)

_xxx_ said:
Series 5 was sold to Babylon 5 and destroyed with it.

We'll just have to go down to epsilon 3 and put the debris back together.

On topic, I believe it'll be a phone/mobile market acquisition.

Somewhere in this sentence BUY A FAB U BIG NONCE, THEY ONLY COST A COUPLE O' BILL there is a subliminal message for Dave Orton.

The Baron said:
They'll buy Nokia! They want the N-Gage!

Only with the hostile take over. :) there's no other way.

if the Siemens phone division is for sale, that might fit in to picture.
for graphics companies:

- Matrox: as financially it could be possible, if it would be stock market company, but being a privately owned, not a slight chance. the founders that still own majority of stocks won't sell it.
- 3DLabs: owned buy Creative. when Creative last time sold a part that it had bought previously? never. So, I don't think so.
- S3: owned buy VIA. How's the relations between VIA and ATI? in fact, I don't know. I also don't remember when VIA would have been selling some parts of it. another, I don't think so...
- PowerVR: could be, but I doubt it. somehow I just can't see PowerVR going to ATI. (this means, PowerVR being strongest contender so far on the list, because I am doomed. ;) )
- XGI: owned by SIS, which also isn't known for selling parts of it to others.
- Bitboys: another privately owned company, that I can't see selling themselves in this point.
- FalanX: as the bitboys, small privately owned and proud to stay one.

so, most likely it is outside the graphics industry.

Mariner said:
Aha. A possible explanation for Digi's insane number of posts comes into view... 8)
Nah, there is a much simpler reason....

....my kids. There's a real good chance of me not surviving until they're adults, but at least this way they'll have a chance to sort of know who I was besides just being their father. :oops:

MuFu said:
Somewhere in this sentence BUY A FAB U BIG NONCE, THEY ONLY COST A COUPLE O' BILL there is a subliminal message for Dave Orton.
I'd love it if they did that too, but a fab is such a huge risk of an investment (at least from their perspective) that I don't think they'd do it.

I'm betting something with Motorolla for some odd reason.

[quote="Nappe1]
so, most likely it is outside the graphics industry.[/quote]

Correct... my $0.02:

- Micronas. Relatively large player in (analog) TV.
- Pixelworks. Scaler company, big in LCD-TV
- Genesis. Thought they had something going with Micronas.
- Broadcom. Would be a nice fit, though there's some overlap. ATI already quite good channel decoding technology for digital TV. However, Broadcom has the ambition to go into cell phones. Bought Alphomosaic a while back.

I think it must be either a LCD-TV company (scaler ?) or someone related to cellphone, preferably in the base-band technology.

digitalwanderer said:
MuFu said:
I'd love it if they did that too, but a fab is such a huge risk of an investment (at least from their perspective) that I don't think they'd do it.

I think it's currently an impossibility. Maybe one day though.

If they get Power VR, they could branch out from ARM and start creating a Tensilica based core for license.

I'd love to see a Microsoft X-Boy powered by ATI technology.

Tensilica Core + Power VR with Fast 14
eDRAM = Innovative Silicons Z-RAM
.65nm node with low-k and SOI

8 inch OLED 16:9 display with stylus support (around 800*600 resolution)

Downloadable games
Support for M 1/4-CARD format
Vibration effects suport like the Tapwave Zodiac (ability to turn off to save battery life)

to buy PowerVR, they have to buy whole ImgTech. That would be a bit expensive. Further ImgTech is AFAIK no incorporated company. They are private, so this would be not too easy.

BTW: XGI does (AFAIK) not belong to SIS. It's an independant Inc.

Robbitop said:
to buy PowerVR, they have to buy whole ImgTech. That would be a bit expensive. Further ImgTech is AFAIK no incorporated company. They are private, so this would be not too easy.

BTW: XGI does (AFAIK) not belong to SIS. It's an independant Inc.

yeah, so is S3 Graphics Inc. only problem is that both companies are majorly owned by their mother companies. (S3 by VIA, XGI by SIS.)

hmmm. ArtX collaborated with S3 and MoSys on Flipper.

ATI+S3+MoSys would make a force to be reckoned with. not that ATI isn't already.

Robbitop said:
Nappe1 said:
(... XGI by SIS.)

AFAIK that's not correct.

well if that hasn't been changed during last 6 months, SIS owns 28,85 percent of XGI:
f. The Company’s investee, XGI, issued new shares for cash consideration during the period
from June 2003 to February 2004. The Company did not participate in any of the
subscriptions and as a result, the percentage of ownership in XGI was decreased from
99.99% to 28.85%. As of June 30, 2004, the capital reserve recognized for the above
change in percentage of ownership was $38,791.

Source: http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:...+XGI+financial&hl=fi&client=firefox-a

(page 16, chapter f.)

this makes it a lot smaller owner than in june 2003 (which it had 99,99% of ownership), but SIS is still the biggest single owner.

Also, same document states that XGI is located in building that has been rented from SIS until june 2006 and SIS got around 3500 USD of XGI revenues, based on their ownership of shares.

Back