Gameboy Advance Technical Specs

Apoc

Regular
I'm looking for an in-depth article on gba specs. What they are, what are the differences with snes specs, and so.

Do any of you where do i have to start looking?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.gbadev.org/docs.php

I hope this helps. :D

edit: Except if you meant articles that draws a direct comparison with SNES, then this shouldn't help.
BTW I don't think you might find a lot of interresting, and correct, articles, like the one you're looking for, about the GBA.

Vysez said:
http://www.gbadev.org/docs.php

I hope this helps. :D

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Vysez said:
edit: Except if you meant articles that draws a direct comparison with SNES, then this shouldn't help.
BTW I don't think you might find a lot of interresting, and correct, articles, like the one you're looking for, about the GBA.

Obviously, this kind of articles can't be found if one is looking for a non-biased-and-REALLY-informed article.

To cut a long story short the GBA is a slight upgrade in most areas (more colors, more sprites, more usable "mode 7" planes), and a major upgrade in some (the CPU is faster by an order of magnitude, scaling and rotating sprites). The SNES had a much better soundchip, though.

Yeah, sound f'n SUCKS on GBA... :( How is sound on the DS, still GBA-level "beep-boop" noises with tinny crap samples?

By no means. DS is pretty close to N64 in terms of sound quality.

The speakers support a sort of surround sound, which makes all the difference.

Whirl the DS around your head while playing a sound.
It gives you amazingly accurate impression that something is flying around you.

kinda reminds me of qsound, although i don't believe they licensed it. it's pretty convincing, though, especialy considering the form factor of the speakers.

while we are on the subject, how is the sound on the psp? and where is the speaker placement?

see colon said:
while we are on the subject, how is the sound on the psp? and where is the speaker placement?
The sound on the PSP is as best as it's gets for a portable machine.
In others words the sound is not an issue. :D

And about the speakers placement, on the pic below, you can see the left speaker, it's the oblong thing at the left above the home button. There's also a similar right speaker, obviously.
psp_2139.jpg

The sound on the PSP is as best as it's gets for a portable machine.
In others words the sound is not an issue.

It's been known that the sound from the PSP speakers is worse than the DS and described as tinny.

PC-Engine said:
It's been known that the sound from the PSP speakers is worse than the DS and described as tinny.

Yes, this is how I see it.

Built-in speakers - DS winner
Headphones - PSP winner

see colon said:
kinda reminds me of qsound, although i don't believe they licensed it. it's pretty convincing, though, especialy considering the form factor of the speakers.

Maybe it's just really good sound on the DS?(btw, stereo speakers or mono?)

Apoc said:
I'm looking for an in-depth article on gba specs. What they are, what are the differences with snes specs, and so.

Thanks in advance.

I pm'ed you. I can sent you something I put together based on public info and carefull analysis...

In fact.. it's quite (very) detailed ;-)

loekf2 said:
Apoc said:

Thanks in advance.

I pm'ed you. I can sent you something I put together based on public info and carefull analysis...

In fact.. it's quite (very) detailed ;-)

I'm having problems replying to pm's (the board gives some kind of "could not connect smtp host" error). My email is jmreig at gmail.com .

Thanks for the help.

Back