Which is better?

• No, Opera is better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IE all the way, baby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Clashman

Regular
So, I've noticed quite a few people pimpin' firefox here at B3D and decided to try it out myself. What I saw didn't blow my socks off, and in fact right off the install seemed significantly less-intuitive than Opera. So I was wondering what everyone else here thinks? Is Opera better than Firefox, or vice-versa? Have I just not taken enough time to fiddle with it to make it run smoother? If you had to choose between the two, which would you choose, and why?

Bring it on!

Shit, I thought I had an "other" option here. I apparently didn't fill it out properly. If someone has something else, please note it in here.

Opera for image heavy pages(it only decodes image into bmp when you the image shows, instead of decoding all of them into BMP regardless if they are on screen - my understanding of it, could very well be wrong) firefox for the awesome extentions.
Opera seems a bit worse than FF for web sites working right, and worse in respect to security.
http://secunia.com/product/761/ opera
http://secunia.com/product/4227/ firefox

Opera all the way - were Opera innovates FireFox copies and IE fails.

However, sadly, I doubt most people who vote have even given Opera a proper try.

Diplo said:
However, sadly, I doubt most people who vote have even given Opera a proper try.

I haven't tried opera even for a second, so I'm not voting at all. I don't like having to pay for a browser (and no, please don't bring up the "free" ad-"financed" version). Gimme free stuffs kk thx! :p

Diplo said:
Opera all the way - were Opera innovates FireFox copies and IE fails.

I tried it, it seriously is no where near FF for compatability, aswell as missing the awesome extentions FF has.
Who cares about copying? Everyone does it in the pc world :rolleyes:

Guden Oden said:
I haven't tried opera even for a second, so I'm not voting at all. I don't like having to pay for a browser (and no, please don't bring up the "free" ad-"financed" version). Gimme free stuffs kk thx! :p
Firstly, the "ad-financed" version can use Google text ads in a tiny bar at the top that are virtually un-noticeable (I use payed for at home and ad-financed at work and don't notice the difference). You still use this website even though it has much more prominent and in your face ads - why is that?

Second, how many hours a year do you spend on the internet? A lot, I'd wager. So why not pay a tiny amount (and €30 is a trivial amount) for something that makes that process so much more enjoyable? So much easier, quicker and more efficient? I bet you pay a lot more for games that you play for a fraction of the time you would use a browser. Sadly this attitude of "I want everything on the internet for free" is what leads to mediocrity and the lowest common denominator triumphing.

Diplo said:
You still use this website even though it has much more prominent and in your face ads - why is that?
Coz I don't have the ads built into the browser, they belong to the website. There's a difference there.

So why not pay a tiny amount (and €30 is a trivial amount) for something that makes that process so much more enjoyable?
Opera cannot POSSIBLY make the internet €30 more enjoyable. It's the content I enjoy, not the program displaying it...

Sadly this attitude of "I want everything on the internet for free" is what leads to mediocrity and the lowest common denominator triumphing.
Sadly? I bet you wouldn't like if you had to pay to read every website you visit. That's no better than a store that collects an entrance fee.

I do pay for internet-distributed software, I've donated to the Azureus team too. I just prefer to spend my money on other things when there's free alternatives to be had.

Diplo said:
Guden Oden said:
Firstly, the "ad-financed" version can use Google text ads in a tiny bar at the top that are virtually un-noticeable (I use payed for at home and ad-financed at work and don't notice the difference). You still use this website even though it has much more prominent and in your face ads - why is that?

Second, how many hours a year do you spend on the internet? A lot, I'd wager. So why not pay a tiny amount (and €30 is a trivial amount) for something that makes that process so much more enjoyable? So much easier, quicker and more efficient? I bet you pay a lot more for games that you play for a fraction of the time you would use a browser. Sadly this attitude of "I want everything on the internet for free" is what leads to mediocrity and the lowest common denominator triumphing.
There's a thing called adblock for firefox- any ads I see are quicky disgarded.
Faster than firefox? Not enough to really notice, the limit is your connection to the website.
Who cares if FF copied opera to get tabs and other things, untill opera has community support via pluggins, it will always be 2nd best.

Opera.

What pisses me off about Firefox is the complete lack of built-in customizability. I want to arrange the position of the UI elements to fit my needs. With Firefox I cannot even move the tab bar to the bottom of the browser window.

Oh, sure, I could spend a few hours tracking down some extensions and plugins to provide the basic functionality I need but frankly, I don't wanna. I don't want to wade through hundreds of extensions in various stages of developement with feature descriptions that often leave me puzzled about what eactly the thing is supposed to do. I don't want to worry whether my extensions will still be compatible with the next version of the browser software and so on....

All I want is some basic built-in functionality and UI custzomizability - hardly something that makes a browser bloated. Opera proves that.

Opera is far superior to Firefox when it comes to usability and it's getting better with every new major version. It also "feels" so much better than Firefox. Snappier, slicker, more responsive, more polished.

Compatibility isn't much of an issue, Opera works on pretty much all pages I visit and in the very, very rare cases in which Opera doesn't work it doesn't kill me to fire up IE for a few minutes.

The ad-banner in the free version is so unintrusive (it doesn't blink or anything) that you completely forget that it's there after a short time. I eventually bought a lincense, not because I wanted to get rid of the banner (which didn't bother me at all) but because I wanted to support this great piece of software.

I feel kinda sorry for the Opera developers. They have been the only true innovators on the browser market for many years and every single of their innovations is being ripped off by the Firefox team and their extension goons.

:LOL: These discussions always amuse me. What is it about men and their tech choice angst?

Sheesh, next we'll be arguing about which brand of graphics card we prefer, or maybe which of the two chip makers we buy our processors from. Where will it end?

L233 said:
Opera.

What pisses me off about Firefox is the complete lack of built-in customizability. I want to arrange the position of the UI elements to fit my needs. With Firefox I cannot even move the tab bar to the bottom of the browser window.

Oh, sure, I could spend a few hours tracking down some extensions and plugins to provide the basic functionality I need but frankly, I don't wanna. I don't want to wade through hundreds of extensions in various stages of developement with feature descriptions that often leave me puzzled about what eactly the thing is supposed to do. I don't want to worry whether my extensions will still be compatible with the next version of the browser software and so on....

All I want is some basic built-in functionality and UI custzomizability - hardly something that makes a browser bloated. Opera proves that.

Opera is far superior to Firefox when it comes to usability and it's getting better with every new major version. It also "feels" so much better than Firefox. Snappier, slicker, more responsive, more polished.

Compatibility isn't much of an issue, Opera works on pretty much all pages I visit and in the very, very rare cases in which Opera doesn't work it doesn't kill me to fire up IE for a few minutes.

The ad-banner in the free version is so unintrusive (it doesn't blink or anything) that you completely forget that it's there after a short time. I eventually bought a lincense, not because I wanted to get rid of the banner (which didn't bother me at all) but because I wanted to support this great piece of software.

I feel kinda sorry for the Opera developers. They have been the only true innovators on the browser market for many years and every single of their innovations is being ripped off by the Firefox team and their extension goons.
Hours? Try seconds :LOL:
FF has basic functionality built in, perhaps you want mouse gestures built in?
How could it be snappier than FF, nothing slows down FF, cept when you use all your memory up when viewing extremely image heavy pages.
The ad banner IS instrusive, why would anyone want to stare at an ad while they browse? FF is by far the best FREE browser out there, and I dont even like the pay version of opera because it's missing the uber extentions FF has, it may not have all the built in functionality you want, but atleast if you can think of something it doesn't have, you can find an extention in seconds.
Can't say that about opera can we?
If they have a good adblocker, it would be alot better, because you seriously can't come across many pages without ads.
You may think "whats the big deal, just a small ad", it is extremely distracting to have some ad on a page, even more so when you know with a FREE browser you could easily block it.
The optimal browsing solution should be FF for browsing regular pages, and opera for browsing image heavy pages.
Btw innovation is great and all, but ultimaty you'd be a fool to think a good idea isn't going to be copied- look at the computer industy.
innovation doesn't have much of a reward, sure you had the idea, but another company is just going to steal your idea.

radeonic2 said:
There's a thing called adblock for firefox- any ads I see are quicky disgarded.
I see. So you are quite happy to take from this website but are unwilling to even view a few adverts that help fund it's existance? What a selfish attitude. If everybody had your attitude many 'free' sites on the internet would cease to exist or they would become subscription only. I'm sure Dave and the other people who run this website really appreciate your attitude.

Diplo said:
I see. So you are quite happy to take from this website but are unwilling to even view a few adverts that help fund it's existance? What a selfish attitude. If everybody had your attitude many 'free' sites on the internet would cease to exist or they would become subscription only. I'm sure Dave and the other people who run this website really appreciate your attitude.

in my whole internet experience, _ONLY_ banners i ever clicked was by mistake, so i love adblock. it removes them and makes _MY_ experience better. and it is also _MY_ clicks that make traffic which sells adds....and _MY_ bandwidth, which _I_ pay (cause of fucked up monopoly here)....

so if _I_ want to save _MY_ money by blocking useless shit i have no problem with that.

if _YOU_ want, you can ask croatian govermant to force flatrate on ISPs, so i wont bother.... :p

Back