Moniters

l15741

Newcomer
Instead of getting a 19" LCD, I was thinking about getting two 14" LCD's, to save some money and make my workspace a little more elegant, plus the total screen size ends up bigger...

The price was right, about 170 dollars a piece on Newegg. However then I noticed that there rated responce time was like 40ms. Is this ok since there so small? Or is it a price of having a really cheap moniter?

If you already have them, you get to decide if it is ok. For me I had a 19" 24ms response time one and it sucked.

Sorry for any confusion, buy "the price was right" is that when I was looking on Newegg it was about what I was hoping it was...

Also it sounds like it is bad, I guess there just cheap pannels, but I like that both together would be like 300 dollars... They sounded horrible, but I was hoping that the fact they were so small would help, also that one has Red/White connections is cool because I can put PS2 on one and use the computer on the other more easily then with a tunner card.

O well, if you know something, please post, otherwise it looks like my next moniter is gana be a big one, which isn't really any problem.

Ouch. I'd rather throw those monitors out than use them. With a response time of 40ms, there's no way they're suitable for any sort of motion, not even for watching TV or gaming. You would have been better off with a good quality 19" LCD.

40ms is sucks, that's VERY HIGH - that's 25 fps max which is not enough even for viewing an NTSC movie.

Nowadays I wouldn't buy anything higher than 16ms...

T2k said:
40ms is sucks, that's VERY HIGH - that's 25 fps max which is not enough even for viewing an NTSC movie.

Ouch, I didn't know it was that bad... Well, that ideas throughly gone. How do you convert them by the way? Seems like something that might come in handy some time.

l15741 said:
T2k said:

Ouch, I didn't know it was that bad... Well, that ideas throughly gone. How do you convert them by the way? Seems like something that might come in handy some time.

I'm assuming you mean the conversion between frame rate and response time?

It's pretty simple really, especially seeing as the units are essencially the same....

# frames/1sec vrs. 1 frame/ # msec.

I'm not very good at explaining the math behind manipulating the fractions, so I hope the explanation of the units is enough.

(1 frame/40ms) * (1000ms/s) = 25 frames/s = 25fps

(1 frame/16ms) * (1000ms/s) = 62.5 frames/s = 62.5fps

Big difference in potential "displayable" framerate.

40ms is way too low, IMO. Besides, decently-reviewed 17" 25ms LCDs are as low as $230, so a 14" sounds overpriced at $170.

FYI, it's monitor. Surprising that you got "elegant" right but muffed "monitor." :)

Back