Wondering about Xbox2 specs!!

gamepower

Banned
Hi,people

i'm wondering about the actually Xbox2 specs.Look ,memory "ramchips" are now so cheap,and in 12 month when Xbox2 arrived it is cheaper,why has the Xbox2 only 256MB ram???For the three core Powerpc CPU and his
multitasking process ,the memory is too small for that calculation power,the gamedesigner cannot use out the hardware with this small memory,only 4 x more than the Xbox 1 ram(64MB),it is the same when i build a Ferrari GT car with a fuel tank from a VW Golf.Do you know what i mean?The gamedesigner from the new Unreal graphics engine say's that the new Unreal engine runs on the next generation consoles only in a mid range Pclevel,more details in textures,polygoncounts etc. are not possible,that mean that a actually high end PC has more power to push all details of the unreal engine as the next consoles they arrived in 12 month (ps3 18 month or later),that is not revolutionary,specially when we see the products cost of the next consoles the Ps3 cell technique is extremly expensive.And i'm wondering about the fact of UMA and shared ram in the XBox2,wee know ,UMA and shared ram are not fast like the seperate VRam of actually and coming PC graphics card,why not a seperate Vram like Dreamcast and Arcadeboards,ok the ATi Xbox2 GPU has embbeded ram,but only 10-16 MB,that is not enough.In 2006,512 MB Vram will be standard on the PC,and we must see that MS says that the XBox2 has Hdtv resolutions,256MB ram for this resolutions are to low.For the future 256MB are not enough,it is lower than the 64MB on Xbox1 standard for 2001/02.

Wonder about wonder........

Ps: I dont want a multimedia machine with overdub functions,i want
a gaming machine for fast arcade graphics.

gamepower said:
Ps: I dont want a multimedia machine with overdub functions,i want
a gaming machine for fast arcade graphics.

Email Kutaragi and Bill Gates, i'm sure they will change their plans to accommodate your needs.

Although the Xbox may well have 256MB of RAM all the the details seen thus far have been from documents which were described as not final. This included the Speed of the CPU, GPU and memory. Until MS say otherwise we dont actually know how much RAM it will have. Saying that some of the Dev's who post on here make it seem like both XB2 and PS3 will indeed have 256MB of RAM and this will be the main limitation with both machines.

Pugger said:
Although the Xbox may well have 256MB of RAM all the the details seen thus far have been from documents which were described as not final. This included the Speed of the CPU, GPU and memory. Until MS say otherwise we dont actually know how much RAM it will have. Saying that some of the Dev's who post on here make it seem like both XB2 and PS3 will indeed have 256MB of RAM and this will be the main limitation with both machines.

It all depends on the time gap between release dates. If PS3 comes out 1 year after Xbox2, it's impossible it will have the same amount of Ram. Unless MS push it and put more Ram than they can afford in Xbox2, to try and make the difference between the 2 consoles smaller.

I'm not so sure the R500 has embedded dram. My crazy theory is that a Micron Yukon processor will be used instead. I think Vince posted some TSMC roadmap and it showed a non-agressive lithography roadmap for eDRAM if I remember correctly.

Personally London-Boy, Sony would be mad to launch a year later, if that reffered to the JPN launch. Add another 3 months on for the US launch then you have given Xbox2 13 months on its own in it stongest territory. That isn't going to happen unless Sony have gone nuts. I see PS3 online for a March 2006 launch and hitting the States 6 months later, which I reckon is the biggest lead theycould safely get away with. By they way thats all pure speculation on my part.

Pugger said:
Personally London-Boy, Sony would be mad to launch a year later, if that reffered to the JPN launch. Add another 3 months on for the US launch then you have given Xbox2 13 months on its own in it stongest territory. That isn't going to happen unless Sony have gone nuts. I see PS3 online for a March 2006 launch and hitting the States 6 months later, which I reckon is the biggest lead theycould safely get away with. By they way thats all pure speculation on my part.

Yeah, no one knows, and i agree that 1 year is a bit much, but we heard worse. 6-8 months seems to be the norm around here, when speculating. And from 8 to 12 months, not much of a difference.
They wouldn't be "mad" to launch 12 months later, it would be a bit risky though.
Personally i prefer an earlier launch even if that means we get a slightly underpowered machine. In the end, both X2 and PS3 will be monsters no matter what.

one said:
gamepower said:
In 2006,512 MB Vram will be standard on the PC

I suspect at least 1GB

Wow, uhh do you really think Dell in 2006 will be selling tons of computers with video cards that have 1GB RAM or did you more likely miss the V in front of the RAM?

Edit: Whoops, I see hovz already commented on that.

1 GB of system RAM is a possibility I would say in 2006 for above average computers but we still don't 512MB as being standard now in 2005.

Eh, 'standard' might be stretching, replace it with "a PC that can run the 3Dmark 05 with decent performance" or "standard gaming PC" :D Also, I forgot TurboCache so PCs in value segments will have less VRAM.

1) i don't think video cards are going to go past 512 megs for a long time . There wont be a need for it . Not only that but u think 512 megs of ram is dirt cheap , that may be true with the slow ram we use in our pc but the ram used on graphics card is cutting edge fast ram that is hard to make and thus expensive .

2) I believe the xenon will have 512 megs of system ram with 16-32 megs of sdram on the gpu core . The sdram running at the speed of the core most likely 700+ mhz should be fast enough.

3) the ps3 will likely launch within 6 months of the xenon and will most likely have the more expensive chip and gpu and so i think the ram amounts will be the same

london-boy said:
Who's to say that the eVRAM can't run faster than the rest of the chip? It can be done, apparently.... :D

I'm sure it could be . But i'm not dreaming . I'm looking at a all around good system from ms that has enough power to match the output of the ps3 while costing a good deal less to make

gamepower: You can use more than one sentence. :LOL:

why not a seperate Vram like Dreamcast and Arcadeboards

So game devs can allocate whatever they need within the fixed memory size. It's more flexible.

,ok the ATi Xbox2 GPU has embbeded ram,but only 10-16 MB,that is not enough

Not enough for what?

Brimstone said:
I'm not so sure the R500 has embedded dram. My crazy theory is that a Micron Yukon processor will be used instead. I think Vince posted some TSMC roadmap and it showed a non-agressive lithography roadmap for eDRAM if I remember correctly.

Can you share some information please.
Thanks.

Alstrong said:
gamepower: You can use more than one sentence. :LOL:

why not a seperate Vram like Dreamcast and Arcadeboards

So game devs can allocate whatever they need within the fixed memory size. It's more flexible.

Just as importantly one unified external memory bus saves the manufacturer a decent amount of money throughout the life of the console.

Back