So.. What will Nvidia Bring to Counter the R520?

digitalwanderer said:
Meh, sell it with its own power supply that you plug into the back of it. Geeks like weird stuff like that. ;)
Which is exactly what 3DFX did with the Voodoo 5 6000:
a_med_v5601b.jpg

Didn't work for them :)

Diplo said:
digitalwanderer said:
Meh, sell it with its own power supply that you plug into the back of it. Geeks like weird stuff like that. ;)
a_med_v5601b.jpg

That was exactly what I was thinking of when I posted, and it was meant to be a joke since they bought 3Dfx. ;)

Druga Runda said:
90nm NV40 makes most sense... just up the clock speed, make the chip size smaller, more like a GF4 out of GF3... I think it will be something like that...

I think so too. They won't rest on their laurels (6800U SLi) when ATi have a consumer-level multi-GPU implementation in the pipeline.

My guess: 600Mhz+ 24 PS, 8VS chip. 24 true pipelines, but 16 output. No fundamental featureset difference, perhaps improved performance for branching but I'm a bit dubious even about that tbh.
Higher SLI efficiency/flexibility too, I guess. I doubt they'd appreciate losing the SLI crown, they'd look stupid at best.

Uttar

Diplo said:
digitalwanderer said:
a_med_v5601b.jpg

Just because the card wasn't there and the 6000 was a crazy idea anyway.

If they had a competitive card out there on time, noone would mind that. It's even an easier solution compared to 4 power plugs you need for 6800U SLI setup, since you wouldn't need to upgrade your PSU and use 2-3 Y-adapters..

DaveBaumann said:
IMO, some people are expecting a little too much, on both sides.

yep, people are expecting double the performance of the current high end cards, which is extremely far fetched.

id bet it will be an r420 with sm 3.0 without the slowdowns exhibited on nvidias current implementation.

_xxx_ said:
Uttar said:
24 true pipelines, but 16 output

Err...what are you talking about? :?:

NV43 has 8 fragment pipelines, but only 4 ROP's (Pixel Pipelines). One theory on NV4x-Next-Gen is that it will feature 24 fragement pipelines, but stick with 16 ROP's - reason being is that at 16 pipes games are hardly pixel limited at current resolution, but they are expected to get more fragment limited and such a design will increase the fragment processing capabilities whilst saving some die space on ROP's that are not likely to be used in many instances.

DaveBaumann said:

bah :)

r520 sm3.0 chip with some other features , 16x650mhz - 700mhz

nv40 on 90nm 16x550-600

Both will have improved shader power over the last generation

Both will get much needed faster ram of about 750mhz .

Don't think double the performance but more than just a small jump . Mabye 75% increase in performance over the last gen in high fsaa and shader intensive apps . This is going to be a mini generation with both companys putting out a new console chip and ram really not moving much .

The jump after this will be a big one with both of them bringing in the console tech and tryin gto get a boost from it being in a console .

digitalwanderer said:

Just like the Voodoo 5 6000? :LOL:

Actually I think it wouldn't hurt a card to have its own power supply anymore the way it hurt Voodoo.

At the time Voodoo tried it the thought of a card taking up so much power was hard to conceive of, but now that viddy cards come with minimum power requirements and molex connectors and such I don't think it would raise many eyebrows at all.

I'd almost view it as a positive, it would take out one less variable from the user's hands and give buyers one less thing to worry about upgrading to get their new toy to work.

jvd said:
DaveBaumann said:

bah :)

r520 sm3.0 chip with some other features , 16x650mhz - 700mhz

nv40 on 90nm 16x550-600

Both will have improved shader power over the last generation

Both will get much needed faster ram of about 750mhz .

Don't think double the performance but more than just a small jump . Mabye 75% increase in performance over the last gen in high fsaa and shader intensive apps . This is going to be a mini generation with both companys putting out a new console chip and ram really not moving much .

More like 600, 700 and SM3+ on the R520 and 450-500, 700 on the NV front. I'm only expecting the performance to scale maybe 30-50%.

The jump after this will be a big one with both of them bringing in the console tech and tryin gto get a boost from it being in a console .

I think the next big ones will be WGF based and offer close to twice the performance of the X800 XT/6800U.

More like 600, 700 and SM3+ on the R520 and 450-500, 700 on the NV front. I'm only expecting the performance to scale maybe 30-50%.

Na i don't think that sm3.0 will make the r520 that much bigger than the r420 . and its on a smaller process .

I really hope NV can get more than 450-500MHz out of the next gen part. I doubt really if this will be enough for it to even be faster than the X850 XT Platinum, assuming of course it is none other than just a die shrink, clock speed increase.

DaveBaumann said:

I think you are right Dave.

I think we got pretty spoiled by the Radeon 9700 a little over two years ago; then 6 months ago the 6800/X800 series did a big jump. BUT inbetween the 9700 and 6800/X800 were cards like the 9800 and 9600 which were more in the realm of 10-20% faster (actually most of the 9600 were not better than the 9500Pro, but I regress...)

Based on what we have seen in the past, I expect the R520 and the new NV chip to be more like 15-40% faster than the 6800/X800 series--hopefully these new chips will also bring some of the great price sensability that the 9800/9600 series carried.

My guess is that we wont see the big jump like we did from the R9700 to the 6800/X800 until Summer of 2006 when the R600/NV50 arrive. That fits more within the 2year development process and allows for more significant changes in memory interface, memory speed, scaling down the manufacturing process, and so forth.

And on a related note, I would not expect ATI to be in a hurry. They just released their new X800/X850 chips and these were meant to provide more "availability". ATI obviously wants to make some money on their X800, so there really is no reason to push the R520 out the door quite yet. In a lot of ways the R520 does not make a lot of sense to me. Obviously the R300 was a good enough design to be upgraded for the R420, but that also leaves ATI sort of in an odd position. The R520, since it is has entirely new features (SM 3.0) will most likely be a new card name series (e.g. Z800). And one year later, in 2006 with WGF and Longhorn, there will be yet another new series with new features. The R520 seems to be kind of a lame duck caught inbetween the transition from DX9 and WGF.

But then again maybe Dave is playing stuff down so ATi/nVidia are going to surpise us ;)

jvd said:
NOthing .

Quite simply because they need nothing .

the nv40 already has all or the majority of features ati will have in the r520 and with sli they will have a faster card .

That'd be utterly dumb if they'd claim this - think:

Speed list would be
$1000 SLI vs $499 R520
and all the solo NV40s would be slower for the same $499... nah, that's suicide.

Back