So, 1 PE after-all or is this just for GDC 2005 ?

So, 1 PE after-all or is this just for GDC 2005 ?

• No, this is only the CPU they are describing at GDC: the final CPU of PlayStation 3 will have more P

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "Eh scusate... ma Io sono Io evvoi...e voi non siete un cazzo" --Il Marchese del Grillo.

• This, as the last option is a joke option... do not choose it.

• Total voters
Introducing the CELL Processor
Speakers: Mark DeLoura (Manager of Developer Relations, Sony Computer Entertainment), Dominic Mallinson (Director, SCE US R&D Sony Computer Entertainment America)
Time/Date: TBD
Track: Programming
Format: 60-minute Lecture

Experience Level: Intermediate - Basic familiarity or some experience.
Description: This presentation gives an overview of the architecture of a CELL Processor, which is a multi-core chip consisting of a 64-bit Power architecture processor [edit by Panajev: the PU], multiple streaming processors, a flexible IO interface, and a memory interface controller. Additional detail is given on the design of a 4-way SIMD streaming data processor in which software controls data movement and instruction flow in order to improve data bandwidth and pipeline utilization.

http://www.cmpevents.com/GD05/a.asp?option=C&V=11&SessID=4777

Thanks to DeanoC for finding this announcement first.

Brimstone said:
Probably 2 PU's by the time the PS3 launches.

60% 2 PU's
40% 1 PU

Which means 2 PUs and their caches, 16 SPU's/APUs and their shared caches as well as a 4 GHz clock-speed which seems to be their target (high clock-speed and good caching sub-system = good General-Purpose performance as well as High Vector/SIMD processing performance).

I think you are simply read too much into that statement. I'm sure the person compose that was not clue in to any details about cell architecture other than content provided to build buzz for marketing proposes. Man, talk about taking something and running with it :rolleyes:

london-boy said:
fxtech said:
london-boy said:
Marchese del Grillo alla grande.

anche tu sei italiano ?

Certo! Nozione comune qui in giro. Come nAo and Pana and some others...

awesome !

sono davvero contento , di nao e pana gia sapevo..

mi consigli un albergo nuovo o ristrutturato che non mi faccia rimpiangere quelli italiani ? , nella city ovviamente

fxtech said:
london-boy said:
fxtech said:
london-boy said:
Marchese del Grillo alla grande.

anche tu sei italiano ?

Certo! Nozione comune qui in giro. Come nAo and Pana and some others...

awesome !

sono davvero contento , di nao e pana gia sapevo..

mi consigli un albergo nuovo o ristrutturato che non mi faccia rimpiangere quelli italiani ? , nella city ovviamente
PMmero'. orora.

As I already posted in the other thread that description is cut&copy&paste from related sessions in ISSCC 2005 Advance Program.

Now, GDC 2005 is on Mar 7-11 and the PS3 unveiling event is somewhere in March. Anyway, in ISSCC 2005 all necessary stats will be disclosed - die size, transistor count, FLops, etc. like in 1999 (it was a MIPS benchmark score in 1999 though), after that it's free to guess, until March. If a Power core or a Synergistic Processor is too huge to cram 4-way in 300mm even in 65nm, then it's all over (though 90nm PPC970 is about 60mm...)

In the PS2's case, it was an unnamed 128bit processor @ 250MHz at ISSCC 99 in Feb 1999, then at the unveiling event in Mar 1999 it was shown that a processor called Emotion Engine @ 300Mhz would be in the new PlayStation.

In any case, until I see the die size of the Cell processor in 90nm, I'm on "This, as the last option is a joke option... do not choose it." :oops:

Back