So whats the buzz on CELL workstations?

one said:
Panajev2001a said:
Believe what you will, but as stated before on this forum... the GPU was not supposed to be nVIDIA's, someone else HAD the contract till about two weeks or so before the announcement was made that SCE had selected nVIDIA a partner in the GPU for PlayStation 3.
Hmm? Do you have any concrete info on exactly when it's confirmed that nVIDIA won the contract? :?:

In my estimation, it's before July 2004 when the schedule diagram was presented.

I would say that it is after that period: really few weeks or so before the public announcement (nothing that went as far back as July 2004).

one said:
Also, change to nVIDIA can speed up the development of the PS3 rather than slowdown DeanoC suggests if the nVIDIA solution is superior than the alternative, as nVIDIA must be developing something which could at least meet the requirement by Sony.

Faster solution and coming with better libraries and tools as well as better technical support: the price was not bad either ;).

Still, the NV5X as it is cannot be just placed in a CELL based system which uses a new I/O connection (Redwood) and new main RAM technology (XDR) and Sony/SCE likely wants the GPU to receive some customization they hold dear to the over-all's system balance (like e-DRAM for high and sustainable pixel and texel fill-rate).

one said:
Hmm? Do you have any concrete info on exactly when it's confirmed that nVIDIA won the contract? :?:
I have very good sources that tell me it occured late 2004. For obvious reason most of the details that I know on PS3 will have to stay private I'm afraid.

one said:
Also, change to nVIDIA can speed up the development of the PS3 rather than slowdown DeanoC suggests if the nVIDIA solution is superior than the alternative, as nVIDIA must be developing something which could at least meet the requirement by Sony.

I don't remember saying that? Maybe old age is catching up with me ;-)

DeanoC said:
one said:
I have very good sources that tell me it occured late 2004. For obvious reason most of the details that I know on PS3 will have to stay private I'm afraid.

one said:

I don't remember saying that? Maybe old age is catching up with me ;-)

Ehehe, well then... 8) oh this is the Cell Workstation topic. But again on the devkit, if developers develop on OpenGL (and Cg, in early stages) anyway, there would be no problem for SCEI to ship TOOL ver. 1 in April, right?

If you want to left them private use private message ! :D

i am a genius ! :oops:

DeanoC said:
For obvious reason most of the details that I know on PS3 will have to stay private I'm afraid.
Or you can slip a post and then edit it 10minutes later in hopes noone had the time to read it...
but you wouldn't be such a tease... or would you? ;)

Fafalada said:
DeanoC said:
For obvious reason most of the details that I know on PS3 will have to stay private I'm afraid.
Or you can slip a post and then edit it 10minutes later in hopes noone had the time to read it...
but you wouldn't be such a tease... or would you? ;)

He's done that already. And he posted it on the Developers Forums, to make sure no one really read it. Gone now.

Not sure ;)

(Hey it's friday guys, i'm hallucinating as usual at the end of a friday working day so don't take me seriously... like you usually don't do)

Sometime in 2003, news spread that one of the lead programmers at Naughty Dog, Gregg Tavares, was chosen by Sony to work in Japan. The reasons for this were unknown, but many speculated that it had something to do with dev-tools or other applications for PS3.
I checked his site now and then and just recently he added "PS3 development" to his work pedigree, starting on December 2003...

http://greggman.com/pages/resume.htm

Devourer said:
Sometime in 2003, news spread that one of the lead programmers at Naughty Dog, Gregg Tavares, was chosen by Sony to work in Japan. The reasons for this were unknown, but many speculated that it had something to do with dev-tools or other applications for PS3.
I checked his site now and then and just recently he added "PS3 development" to his work pedigree, starting on December 2003...

http://greggman.com/pages/resume.htm
gman is a regular at tokopia... but I never realised that he and Tavares are the same person. And I'll advise the fanbois against flooding tokyopia - confidentiality seems respected in the forums, and they seldom discuss work.

IE only. EFFF!!! I'm too lazy to fiddle with my browser's "identity" settings, can anyone give a brief description of the interesting points(if any)?

passerby said:
IE only. EFFF!!! I'm too lazy to fiddle with my browser's "identity" settings, can anyone give a brief description of the interesting points(if any)?

"We have a mandate from management to make sure that when you see our game people will go "wow" - you know - "this is next gen".

Back