Shinobi gets 6/10 in PSM

Teasy

Veteran
I loved the 2d Shinobi games, and this game looked like a possible AAA title that may add to my reasons to get a PS2 (PES being the only reason so far). But after seeing this score from Playstation Magazine it looks like I won't be missing anything if I don't have a PS2 to play this game.. sad.

BTW, thinking about Shinobi reminded me of another game I loved in the past, Strider. Does anyone know who made the Strider series of games? Because I'd love to see a new Strider game released.

Strider was a fantastic, though arguably shallow, game and one of my favourites along with Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Megadrive. There was a sequel recently (2000) for the PSX and some Namco Arcade HW, perhaps System 11. Another, better, sequel for next-gen hardware would be great. Wish there was a Maximo port for GCN or Xbox come to think of it (older Capcom franchises.)

Roly said:
Strider was a fantastic, though arguably shallow, game and one of my favourites along with Ghouls 'n Ghosts on the Megadrive. There was a sequel recently (2000) for the PSX and some Namco Arcade HW, perhaps System 11. Another, better, sequel for next-gen hardware would be great. Wish there was a Maximo port for GCN or Xbox come to think of it (older Capcom franchises.)

Actually Strider 2 came out December 13 1999(according to the arcade's boot screen). The hardware was Capcom ZN1, not Namco's System11. The only real difference is that Namco's hardware had an extra MCU and custom sound chips, Capcpm's used the same QSound hardware the CPS2 boards did.

Strider 2 on Playstation is a very faithful reproduction of the hardware version, and generally very cool game.

Too bad for Shinobi, although PSM is not the best source for reviews of such oldschool games.

Quite a shame, although one review is not really something to judge a game by yet. A whole lot of the latest Sega games are getting some pretty bad reviews lately, what's up with that, people expecting too much or are they rushing their games out?

I really loved playing the original Shinobi games, especially the GameGear version stuck with me as being great fun back in its time... ;)

Edit: typo

Did anybody play that 1993 Strider sequel on Genesis?

I rented it, it was decent.. not as good as the original Genesis version of Strider though.

Ninja Gaiden is my favorite ninja game franchise. (among NG, Tenchu, Shinobi, Strider, and TMNT)

here are the latest EGM scores including Shinobi

PS 2

GTAvice city 10 10 10 (GOTM)
bloodryne 7 7.5 7.5
burnout2 8.5 8.0 8.5
ddr 8.5
defender 6.5
harry potter 7.5
legiaia2 6.0
hitman 2 9.0
nascar d2d 7.5
nba 2k3 9.0 9.5 8.5
lotr fellowship 7.0 6.0 2.5
nba shootout 5.0
reign o fire 5.0
nba live 8.0 7.5 9.0
nhl 2003 8.0 7.5 7.0
rachet and clank 8.0 8.0 9.0
RF2 8.0 7.5 7.0
rad 8.0
shox 7.0
ss3 5.5
suikoden 3 7.0
superman 6.5 7.0 7.0
shinobi 7.5 7.5 7.0
timsplitters2 7.5 8.5 9.0
THPS4 9.0 9.0 10

GC
big air freestyle 4.0
die hard 4.0
cubivore 7.0 6.5 7.0
harry potter 8.5 7.0 6.5
godzilla 7.0 7.0 7.5
moh frontline 7.0
sum of all fears 5.5
nba2k3 9.0
timesplitter2 7.0
ty tiger 5.5 6.0 5.0
PSO 1+2 10 9.0 9.0
sonic collection 8.0 6.0 7.5
star wars clone wars 6.0 8.5 6.5

xb
blinx 7.5 5.5 8.0
deathrow 4.5
nba2k3 9.0
lotr fotr 4.5 3.5 3.0
hotd3 7.5 7.0 7.0
moh 8.0 7.0 8.0
quantum redshift 6.0 6.5 6.0
rocky 7.5 7.0 6.5
nba live 8.0
serious sam 3.5
shenmue2 6.5 7.0 7.5
toejam and earl3 7.5 7.0 7.0
ghost recon 8.0 7.5 8.0
star wars jedi outcast 7.5 8.0 8.0
timesplitters2 8.0

gba
conta 6.5
harry potter 8.0
lotr f 6.5
lunar legends 8.0
thps4 7.5
yoshi island 9.5 9.0 9.0

Ouch, Xbox got brutalized.

Odd though, IGN seems to _LOVE_ Deathrow and Suikoden (9.4 each I believe), but EGM doesn't think so (3.5 Deathrow?).

Bizzare.

zurich

XBox brutalized? If you take the average from those numbers, Xbox games get ~6.8 and GC games ~6.9 - wow, that's what I call a "devestating" lead. All this shows is that both GC and XBox get wasted by PS2 to an equal extent...

Gollum. GameCube has no big games in that list. The only mildly big title was Die Hard.

XBox on the other hand had Blinx, House Of The Dead 3, Quantum Redshift, Serious Sam, Shenmue 2 and Toe Jam and Earl 3 in that list, didn't help the XBox average score much against a big game-less GameCube list did it.

Are those scores for real?

How the hell could they give Serious Sam a 3.x?

I think they're fake, or EGM is worse than I thought...

They are real. Confirmed by EGM editor. And Serious Sam doesn't deserve much more than that, IMO. I'd give it 5.5 or so, though.

marconelly! said:
They are real. Confirmed by EGM editor. And Serious Sam doesn't deserve much more than that, IMO. I'd give it 5.5 or so, though.

If NOTHING else it should get *BIG* points for technical merit.

Extremely good graphics with an absolutely mind-boggling draw distance and still pretty damn good performance.

Tagrineth said:
marconelly! said:

If NOTHING else it should get *BIG* points for technical merit.

Extremely good graphics with an absolutely mind-boggling draw distance and still pretty damn good performance.

Scoring a game should not be about how it performs technically. A game is fun or not.

Serious Sam IS generally a great game for people who enjoy FPS games....its pure action done right.

A 3.5 tells that the game plays bad, looks bad and lacks much merit. That 3. whatever is asinine, even if its only an opinion.

Don't tell me Turok Evolution got a better score....I can't remember, but I'm sure it did. :-?

Back