Mozilla Messaging

mkillio

Regular
I've been using Trillian lately instead of AIM, which brought up the idea of. Is there any chance of Mozilla making an instant messaging service? ANd if they did, what options and features would you want for it?

Why would we need yet another messenger network? It would just be annoying. (And of course, Ars reported just the other day of such a thing I might add, though it wasn't Mozilla.)

netscape used to have intigrated AIM messaging. i found it basicly worthless, because when you closed the browser it logged you off aim. nowadays i use gaim. it's clean and small, and i like the little *nixisms in the interface.
http://gaim.sourceforge.net/

I didn't mean another network, just a option other then AIM but connected to AIM as wells as MSN, ICQ etc. Plus it would be free and match Firefox and Thunderbird. I like congruency in my programs.

mkillio said:
I didn't mean another network, just a option other then AIM but connected to AIM as wells as MSN, ICQ etc. Plus it would be free and match Firefox and Thunderbird. I like congruency in my programs.
I don't know how much it would match FF & TB, but I highly recommend miranda. Works for me. ;)

anaqer said:
mkillio said:
I don't know how much it would match FF & TB, but I highly recommend miranda. Works for me. ;)

I agree with the Miranda recommendation. I've been using Miranda since it was in its infancy and have always liked it.

If the Mozilla group were to build an IM program, it couldn't be much better than Miranda.

i used to use miranda, and stopped because it wouldn't allow me to see people's away message without messaging them. a small pet peive, but one that's important to me. i really like gaim, but it lacks webcam support (as far as i can tell), and i have friends who only use official clients because they are web cam fiends.

Back