RE 4 Impressions..?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
see colon:

something i think people who play the ps2 version will miss out on is the excellent control system the game has with the gc controller. it's
damn near perfect, with every button where i feel it should be.
  • You gotta be kidding, the controlling reeks(like a colon).

I've seen to omany fantastic games for them not to be able to make the game look incredible. You guys knwo all that jargon, but I know what I can see.

talyn99

No one has to be kidding, controller preference is a personal thing. Personally I think the PS2 controller is absolutely atrocious. But I can accept that lots of people prefer it and that it can be better for games that were designed for it. Whatever you think of the GC controller that's the controller RE4 was designed to use.

Oh come on Teasy, i mean i'm sure RE4 feels great with the GC controller, but saying it was made "to for the GC controller" and imply it will play like crap on PS2 because of its controllers is a bit much...

RE4 is not a game like Virtua Fighter, where you need perfect timing and a nice and comfortable button layout. It will play just fine on the PS2 controller. Like it would play just fine on an Xbox controller.

I implied no such thing! I'm just saying that a game almost always plays best on the controller it was designed for. Playing best on the GC pad in no way implies it will play like crap on the PS2 pad!

BTW you actually do need good timing in certain parts of the game. But if you haven't played the game I won't ruin it for you.

Is the ending cinema real time?

It doesnt look like it, since you cant see the small steps on inclined lines like the nose for example or hair. Also the cinema when you solve the clock tower puzzle doent look realtime to me.

Refreshment said:
Is the ending cinema real time?

It doesnt look like it, since you cant see the small steps on inclined lines like the nose for example or hair. Also the cinema when you solve the clock tower puzzle doent look realtime to me.

Everything in-game (until the ending credits and some obvious FMVs) looks real-time to me.

BTW, there are noticable slow downs if you use the Chicago Typewriter (or a rapid firing weapon) like me and constantly firing nowhere, you will notice the firing rate is varying depending on your view port.

Controller-wise, I might miss the prominence of the A button for RE4 (since it gets used so much), but I'll welcome the more responsive trigger use, that's for sure. ;) Especially on those action cutscenes.

Offhand, I don't think the buttons will make much difference, though. It will mainly come down to A) how much you like the left analog quality/placement, and B) how much you just enjoy holding the controller in general. The buttons weren't really "designed for RE4" in any way that makes a difference. If you're used to alternating from one to the other in any game, you'll be used to alternating them in any game. I've found the main difference comes when you want to hit multiple button combinations that don't directly involve the one button you want to keep "prime" (since that's always going to be your A), or stress fast or repetitive trigger use. Anything else tends to be shruggable.

TEASY:

I prefer the Cube's controller over X-box's and played RE remake as well as RE Zero with teh Cube's controller. I can hack it. BUT in comparison to PS2's pad. It's wack, im sorry, PS2's controller was much more comfortable.

NIntendo tried to get too fancy, many folks hated the N64's controller, cause of Nintendo's 'innovative' stance on some things, they drop teh ball a little. Like for Revolution, their storage space will be a litle over today;s DVD's. COme on now, with all teh space developers need. They gonna introduce more non-hardware bottlenecks via storage space. In RE4 , in aras coming down to end of the first disk, the textures dropped off alot, as opposed to the areas on the first few hours of the game, like for instance, AFTER you fight mendez. I remeber buying MK4 for the N64. and after 2 days, i hauled that sucker off to the pawn shop.

Nah, i dont think it has to do with lack of space in the disk. Maybe if it was one GC disk but 2 are obviously enough.

I think this way because if space was an issue Capcom would have split the game in an earlier chapter. Avoid probably puting the 2 trailers in both disks, as well, the minigames in both disks.

Aigment Ada is in the first disk (am i wrong?) and it has a map from disk 2.

I agree that the GC controller feels better for this game by a small margin, confortable, good face button lay out for adventure games, that big A action button and i like to push those triggers.

Had Capcom made the L trigger click be a grenade button and the R trigger click for zooming with the sniper rifle it'll be perfect. No need for quick weapon change.

talyn99

You prefer the PS2 pad, I get it. I was only pointing out to you that this is personal preference and not something to be argued over. For instance I'm sure some people did hate the N64 controller. Many people hated the PS1 controller too, including me.

BTW if Nintendo dropped the ball so much with the N64 pad then why did Sony release a new pad shortly afterwards which copied parts of the N64 pads design?

Also why not wait until you actually know what storage medium Revolution will use before condeming Nintendo for it?

Evil_Cloud

That's one disturbing advert! I mean imagine if you saw that on TV and didn't know it was a RE4 advert.

"Aww, look at that, how sweet....... AH WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HER FACE!!!" :LOL:

Teasy said:
Evil_Cloud

That's one disturbing advert! I mean imagine if you saw that on TV and didn't know it was a RE4 advert.

"Aww, look at that, how sweet....... AH WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH HER FACE!!!" :LOL:

One could think this is a baby advert. :LOL:

I can see this one being banned pretty soon, hopefully not, coz zombie moms are cool. ;)

talyn99 said:
TEASY:

I prefer the Cube's controller over X-box's and played RE remake as well as RE Zero with teh Cube's controller. I can hack it. BUT in comparison to PS2's pad. It's wack, im sorry, PS2's controller was much more comfortable.

Teasy's entitled to his own opinion, arguing which controller is "better" is completely subjective, & therefore a waste of time. Teasy acknowledged this, & his preference.

NIntendo tried to get too fancy, many folks hated the N64's controller, cause of Nintendo's 'innovative' stance on some things, they drop teh ball a little. Like for Revolution, their storage space will be a litle over today;s DVD's. COme on now, with all teh space developers need. They gonna introduce more non-hardware bottlenecks via storage space. In RE4 , in aras coming down to end of the first disk, the textures dropped off alot, as opposed to the areas on the first few hours of the game, like for instance, AFTER you fight mendez. I remeber buying MK4 for the N64. and after 2 days, i hauled that sucker off to the pawn shop.

"Many folks?" How many gaming consumers does that constitute exactly? Regardless, it had a definite influence on the PS1's controller. Developers actually don't "need" that much space for strictly gaming data. Nintendo seems to somehow manage fairly large to huge games like SMS, LOZ:TWW, Pikmin 2, etc. on a single disc. It depends solely on how the gaming engine is being utilized, technical assets being used, (texture heavy multiple passes for instance) compression techniques, etc. (comprehensive data needs must also be considered however)

Due to reaching the limits of a disc, textures don't drop off in quality as a direct correlation as you so asserted. Also, how did you come up with the Revolution's disc capacity? Have you not heard of the XBX 360's I take it? Also, what does the N64's MK have to do with current-gen hardware? What connection were you attempting to make regarding a now obsolete cartridge based format? (for consoles anyway) To a proprietary GOD format?

I'd like to see someone trying to push those small little 'X' or stupid 'triangle' symbol buttons on the PS2 controller with both fingers as fast as you can double tapping those suckers like you can with the big ole 'A' button on the GCN controller. It was a life saver especially when *spoiler ahead* that huge as$ statue comes to life and starts chasing you or a boulder is rolling down hill at you.

Ong-bakk:
Teasy sure is entitled to his own opinion, but has he tried PS2's pad, i doubt it, I've tried both. PS2's better, simple as that, for RE games. The system is great, and I do not know alot about certain things as you do. BUt I know from extensive reading, Dev's wish it had more space. One thing I hated is being all cautious with any one disk. Cause if any one messes up, or is lost. especially the first one, then everything goes to crap.

RE series made me buy the thing, and I was not interested in Cube, til I read the break down of teh specs and apprecaited the system, as opposed to X-crap.

And I'm sorry if my MK rant offended you, so let me clarify your highness.
Mario 64 is a genius-ass game, and I played the hell out of that. Funny, an 'under-powered' PS1 system as pumping out better stuff as time went on. I'd alwyas be reading game magazines and say, " WOW, look at what my underpowered system can do, and that is the same thing im saying with my PS2(since 2 days ago I been eating up everything I can find, so i can offer a better response to this air of IKNOWMORETHANYOU superiority complex). MK four was well over a year , maybe year 2 of N64's life, and it like many N64 games , out after Mario 64 STUNK.

And many seem to hate PS2, casue it's the so called weakest and selling the most, I been to the X-block forums and man(ya'll know what im talkin about). BUt anyway, I could not take it anymore, I had to get rid of that shitty machine, they could have had more , may more games had they go with a larger storage capacity, and that is fact. So please, that was not for no one to take offense. Cause someone's and X-box fanboy in disguise(ain;t callin no names)

Apoligies to Lu Mu Bai, SORRY dude, been a bad day. And when I came on, i felt 'attacked'. All is good, do not mean to be a thin skin.

As you can see , im an amatuer at posting, so not know how to put someone's reply and respond. Anyway, everyone do a search for Genji, tell me if you think the graphics stack up to RE4.
Peace

talyn99 said:
Apoligies to Lu Mu Bai, SORRY dude, been a bad day. And when I came on, i felt 'attacked'. All is good, do not mean to be a thin skin.

As you can see , im an amatuer at posting, so not know how to put someone's reply and respond. Anyway, everyone do a search for Genji, tell me if you think the graphics stack up to RE4.
Peace

Genji is a completely different game, on a different platform, a different genre, a different graphical style,... Why bother comparing? :/

Stay on topic, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back