RE 4 Impressions..?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
talyn99 said:
Bump-mapping/normal mapping, thought PS2 was not capable of it. Or you think Ubisoft will share their methods or emulating bump-mapping.

They need the guys that did Silent Hill 3 to give them some help. But yeah, I'm having some faith that they can pull off something wonderful on PS2. I will buy it on their as well , and hopefully, they add soem flashlight levels.

If you noted the landscape of the castle ares on RE4, there were arguably more castles than what you explored, for those of you who noted the background silouhettes.

SO yeah, if the Capcom team gets some tech advice here and there, and really burn that mid-night oil. I expect to be :oops: FLOORED

Still , im dying too see the first set of pics, soon as anyone gets one, please post it up.
Peace

Companies do not help each other, they compete with each other.
Bump mapping on PlayStation 2 is not possible in a complex game such as Resident Evil 4.
Expecting Capcom to push PlayStation 2 to new limits with a conversion in 10 months is out of the question. (although I thought they were already planning a PlayStation 2 version almost one year ago, making it more than 10 months)

Pics are to be expected well after the European launch of Resident Evil 4, possibly E3.

Just beat RE4 last night. 25 hrs. What a great great game! And I have to say the best unlockables EVER for beating a game. Afa RE4 on PS2..I just don't see it happening..not as pretty and detailed as the GCN version. It'll be the ugly duckling version with jaggies and lower detailed textures. Not to say it won't be beautiful it will, but the differences will be obvious imo.

Bump-mapping/normal mapping, thought PS2 was not capable of it. Or you think Ubisoft will share their methods or emulating bump-mapping.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

This goes too teasy. I said bump-mapping, cause a guy a few posts before, mentioned that PS2 can do that.

God of War Demo disc, got it an hour ago, see you guys later.....

Can you say.......POLISHED boys and girls.
Peace

Out of interest why might the PS2 version have better colour accuracy?
because it's horrid on the gamecube. playing re4 on the gc reminda me of watching a vcd it's so banded and splotchy. i've seen a few other games that were on ps2 and gc and while the gamecube version might look better in most respects, the colors are nicer on the ps2. iirc POP:SoT was one of those games, and maybe dr muto.

speaking of color accuracy, nintendo claims the gc can olny do 24bit, so that might account for the color banding.

speaking of color accuracy, nintendo claims the gc can olny do 24bit, so that might account for the color banding.

There's no difference between 24-bit and 32-bit. The extra 8-bits is just for alpha. Go into display properties of a Windows desktop and you'll see some vidcards with 24-bit support while other display 32-bit. There's no difference in color.

The banding in RE4 is due to the game running in 16-bit color...

Well, they ported COde Veronica pretty good, and Capcom should knowthe importance of this title, and how it might dumb down the expectancy of RE4 on PS2, if it looks too inferior to the cueb version.

Come on, if it happens to look better and with some of the graphics I have seen, I know PS2 can match the Cube. It will sell over 10 million copies for sure. One thing that amazes me still with PS2 is the fact of assholes talking about jaggies, and outdated. And fail to see what in front of them, you can get the most out of the X-Block form the get go, and it still is not far outstripping PS2 , with all it;s graphical superiority.

5 years later, im still going, WOW, LOOK AT WHAT MY PS2 can do. The architecture is outstanding, Sony was a little arrogant, that why need a microstunk to spank their asses back on the path. But tween PS2 and Cube, you gotta be impressed man.

So Polyphony Digital is a part of Sony, Capcom better get at Sony and make them give up some stuff, on how they can get the most out of the PS2. Konami impresses me too, their racing game is almost on graphical par with GT4.

Peace ya'll

This is a RE4 thread not a PS2 games thread and uh no RE4 on PS2 won't sell 10 million copies not to mention most people who want to play RE4 already bought a $100 GCN to play it. The price of RE4 would have gone down to $30 in 6 months too so waiting for the PS2 version that will may cost $50 doesn't make much sense at all. RE4 on PS2 will just be left over scraps for those who don't really want the game that much anyway.

RE4 was in 16 bit??? :oops:

What is possible with 16 bit but not when using 32 bit :?:

That just got me thinking about the HDR demo with the R9700.. mmm...HDR. I hope we don't ever see banding in next gen.

Deepak said:
Li Mu Bai, Do you think PS2 version of RE4 will look almost identical (or worse) to GC? What effects do you think PS2 version will handle better or worse than GC?

It will look worse undoubtedly Deepak, however the PS2 is easier to extract 24-bit color from due to how the individual numerical bit coordinates are arranged upon the GC iirc. So the PS2 may utilize 24-bit color, other than that I don't foresee any technical, nor artistic advantages to be had. Primarily due to the game being developed from the ground up based solely upon the strengths & weaknesses of the Flipper & Gekko. Texture quality, load times, framerate stutter, detail, & simultaneously displayed enemies on-screen will in all probablity be toned down. Basic art assets should remain primarily the same. Anytime a game uses a console specific developed engine, the port will generally suffer technical hurdles not present in the original.

Here's a much more simplistic graphically designed game that suffered from the same aforementioned fate, the Namco developed TOS. Their explanations for the JPN-only release differences:

-The PS2 will have a significant number of its cutscenes rendered in anime FMV. However, this is already cited as not being an "enhancement," but a means of compensating for the inability of the PS2 to perform everything in real-time using the game's graphics system.

-The PS2 version is cited to run at 30 frames a second due to hardware limitations (the GC version runs at 60). Apparently it was a necessary sacrifice to keep the quality of the graphics/images intact.Preliminary reviews of the PS2 version in Japan have cited the PS2 version as having a more "inorganic" feel relative to the GC original.

Now why would this be? As there are certainly many more graphically, as well as technically impressive titles existing upon the PS2 that surpass this one. And remember that well over a year+ had passed before the port was even released in JPN. The reason? The original engine was designed around the strengths of a singular architecture. The XBX even saw shades of this with the SOL:Substance port. And before anyone has the audacity, Namco is more than proficient at exploiting the PS2's architecture. So Deepak, obvious sacrifices must be made. Capcom hasn't really come close to acheiving visually what they have accomplished with RE4 this generation. Not even with the upcoming DMC3. Take that as you will.

There's no difference between 24-bit and 32-bit. The extra 8-bits is just for alpha. Go into display properties of a Windows desktop and you'll see some vidcards with 24-bit support while other display 32-bit. There's no difference in color.

Absolutely PC-E. ;)

(although I thought they were already planning a PlayStation 2 version almost one year ago, making it more than 10 months)

I would usually be inclined to agree here, if not for the genuine shock of Kobayashi, Mikami, & the rest of Studio 4 after the shareholders announcement. They truly had no idea, this has been verified by numerous sources, I even have one. But what many fail to realize is that simply because Capcom says it will be ported in 10 months, that this is far from what will most likely happen. I see this easily slipping into early '06, which would still be part of their fiscal year AFAIK. Remember the GC release date was moved back at least twice.

There's no difference between 24-bit and 32-bit.
umm... yeah there is...

The extra 8-bits is just for alpha
yeah, that's the difference.

The banding in RE4 is due to the game running in 16-bit color...
i've noticed banding in pretty much every gc game i own, actualy. does that mean every game on the gamecube runs in 16bit? the only one i can think of off the top of my head that didn't have a noticable amount was rogue leader (but i have't played that in a while so i could just be looking back with rose colored glasses). metroid prime was reasonibly band/dither/splotch free, but a few effects here and there had it. every multiplatform game i can think of is more banded/dithered/splotchy than it's xbox and pc counterparts as well.

in a way, i wouldn't put it past nintendo to be streatching the definition of "24 bit color". they could technicaly call 16bit+8bit alpha 24bit.

talyn99 said:

They need the guys that did Silent Hill 3 to give them some help. But yeah, I'm having some faith that they can pull off something wonderful on PS2. I will buy it on their as well , and hopefully, they add soem flashlight levels.

If you noted the landscape of the castle ares on RE4, there were arguably more castles than what you explored, for those of you who noted the background silouhettes.

SO yeah, if the Capcom team gets some tech advice here and there, and really burn that mid-night oil. I expect to be :oops: FLOORED

Still , im dying too see the first set of pics, soon as anyone gets one, please post it up.
Peace

They will not get PS2 tech. advice from competing companies simply because it's being ported to Sony's platform, that is not how the 3rd party software business industry operates. There won't be any additional levels, no flashlight extras, etc. Simply an extra cutscene or two, additional outfits, & was a weapon or two mentioned? That's it, nothing really significant. SCEE & SCEA will not take, or allow extended timed exclusivity ports to be released upon their system unless there are changes, what Sony likes to dub as enhancements from the original. This is their company policy, despite how minimal the changes actually are. Remember the unique snow level from Splinter Cell? Dante on Viewtiful Joe? The japanese TOS differences?

yeah, that's the difference.

Does that difference cause banding?

i've noticed banding in pretty much every gc game i own, actualy. does that mean every game on the gamecube runs in 16bit? the only one i can think of off the top of my head that didn't have a noticable amount was rogue leader (but i have't played that in a while so i could just be looking back with rose colored glasses). metroid prime was reasonibly band/dither/splotch free, but a few effects here and there had it. every multiplatform game i can think of is more banded/dithered/splotchy than it's xbox and pc counterparts as well.

in a way, i wouldn't put it past nintendo to be streatching the definition of "24 bit color". they could technicaly call 16bit+8bit alpha 24bit.

GCN games can be in 16-bit color or 24-bit color. Some functions can only be done when using 16-bit color like AA IIRC. ERP knows the answer to these GCN hardware limitations.

PC-Engine. AFAIK, the GC supports 3 modes.

24bit, no AA, no destination alpha: 8 bit red, 8b green and 8b blue + 24bit z, 48b total per pixel.

24bit, no AA: 6 bit red, 6b green, 6b blue and 6b alpha + 24bit z, 48b total per pixel. If you need destination alpha you'll lose presision in the color channels. That can cause banding.

16bit, 3xAA:5b red, 6b green, 5b blue maybe? + 16b z, times 3 equals 96b per pixels. So with AA, the storage space for two and two pixels are combined and used to store the three sub pixels of a full pixel. This cuts the number of pixels that will fit in the framebuffer in half.

www.jeux-france.com said:
According to the Japanese magazine specialized CG World, the team of development at Capcom which works on the adaptation of Resident Evil 4 on PlayStation 2 would currently have difficulties in carry out this bearing for several technical reasons, mainly because of the memory size allocated with textures smaller for the console of Sony, one works on textures 24 bits on GameCube whereas on PlayStation 2, one limits oneself to 4 or 8 bits.

The Japanese magazine compared the number of polygons of which were made up Leon in Resident Evil 4 on GameCube and PlayStation 2, the villagers in Resident Evil 4 on GameCube and Solid Snake on PlayStation 2.

- Leon (GameCube): approximately 10.000 polygons
- Leon (PlayStation 2): approximately 5000 polygons
- a villager: between 3.000 and 4.000 polygons
- Solid Snake: approximately 4.000 polygons

One thus finds also the problem of the number limited of polygons on PlayStation 2, this figure was divided by two for Leon for example in the GameCube passage towards PlayStation 2. GameCube is able to create 50% of polygons in more for all the characters that PlayStation 2.

However, the console of Sony has one rather powerful access to the memory direct, which will make it possible to increase the number of textures in the play, but it is necessary in parallel to keep a certain balance between the number of textures and the quality of these textures to avoid the decelerations. In short, let us hope that the team in load of the project of conversion will offer to us in final Resident Evil 4 on PlayStation 2 nearest possible to the version on GameCube with certainly of the additional No-claims bonus.

I've noticed gamecube games are generally blotchy using the interlaced output, but not using progressive scan output. For instance, all those blotches in prime and rogue leader(yes it had them) weren't there in progressive scan, I wonder why.

One thing that was quite suspect was the assumption that RE4 ran at 60fps and that the PS2 will run at 30, but the rest is quite believable.

Pretty sure the GC version runs at 30 fps. It doesn't have a stable framerate anyhow, but it certainly doesn't seem as smooth as a 60 fps game, nor look like a 60 fps game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back