RE 4 Impressions..?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not motion blur. Right after you enter the first gate and appear on the other side everything looks more soft. You're just standing there not moving.

Yeah, but when you move it gets blurry ;)

Why doesn't it use 32bit color?

No idea, performance perhaps?

BTW, could it be banding caused by interlaced output? I know metroid prime under interlaced had banding that wasn't there under progressive, same for rogue leader.

You actually can notice it more under progressive output.

Eagle-Vision said:
No it's not motion blur. Right after you enter the first gate and appear on the other side everything looks more soft. You're just standing there not moving.

Yeah, but when you move it gets blurry ;)

Why doesn't it use 32bit color?

No idea, performance perhaps?

BTW, could it be banding caused by interlaced output? I know metroid prime under interlaced had banding that wasn't there under progressive, same for rogue leader.

You actually can notice it more under progressive output.

Well, I don't know about in re4 but in the other games it became less apparent.

BTW, I meant what keeps it from getting good performance with 32 bit color? Gamecube has a lot of video bandwidth, does it just not have enough video memory?

BTW, I meant what keeps it from getting good performance with 32 bit color? Gamecube has a lot of video bandwidth, does it just not have enough video memory?

Well, that's just an idea. I read somewhere else that for some effects you need the 16 bit output so that could be too.

Anyways, there are just a handful of places where it looks real bad, most of the time you won't notice it.

Fox, I wasn't talking about the bonfire. I was talking about the beginning of the bonfire sub-stage. Anyway I've been playing more of the game and it seems some sub-stages have a higher blur factor than others.

I really love all the quick time events in this . Reminds me of shenmue . Awsome graphics and awsome game play .

Hey Acert,

Yeah, i've been busy playing through for a second time getting all the treasures, lol. I think the graphically quality drops slightly in some areas, especially when you pass the first disk. Which is funny, cause the second disk is rough ALMOSt half as long, which means the could have used the extra space towards graphically quality. I LOVE the game though, I actually got that and Metal Gear 3 , on the same day. But MGS3 will have to wait a day more though.

I'm sure all of you that have the game must admit, the game keeps you on your toes though, that is what I love the most about it, and the Boss battles are fresh, i cannot wait to see how snake measures up.

Had a though, remember in the Marvel comic universe the WHAT IF... series. What if that was applied to the video game universes, for instance, all of Snake's moves and weapons in Leon's universe, I for one woudl love to see how that pans out. Or Ratchet gettin buckwild on some zombies. Hey, who says video games cant be like the comic universe, same thing almost.

Think Capcom Vs everyone else games..................

Come on now ya'll , lets get the conversations goin, lets make it happen, I read on one of these post that games companies eye these forums to make decisions based on what some of us...or you might say.

Peace

talyn99 said:
Hey Acert,

Yeah, i've been busy playing through for a second time getting all the treasures, lol. I think the graphically quality drops slightly in some areas, especially when you pass the first disk. Which is funny, cause the second disk is rough ALMOSt half as long, which means the could have used the extra space towards graphically quality. I LOVE the game though, I actually got that and Metal Gear 3 , on the same day. But MGS3 will have to wait a day more though.

I'm sure all of you that have the game must admit, the game keeps you on your toes though, that is what I love the most about it, and the Boss battles are fresh, i cannot wait to see how snake measures up.

Had a though, remember in the Marvel comic universe the WHAT IF... series. What if that was applied to the video game universes, for instance, all of Snake's moves and weapons in Leon's universe, I for one woudl love to see how that pans out. Or Ratchet gettin buckwild on some zombies. Hey, who says video games cant be like the comic universe, same thing almost.

Think Capcom Vs everyone else games..................

Come on now ya'll , lets get the conversations goin, lets make it happen, I read on one of these post that games companies eye these forums to make decisions based on what some of us...or you might say.

Peace

If this was a PC game then mods could potentially be made to do that.

Finally got my copy of the game yesterday. The doofus at Best Buy said they'd run out, but I scoured the racks and found five copies where they shouldn't be. And promptly scored one. :)

Very impressed so far. Lots of action, very fast-paced and intense. Beautiful, too. The art direction is really wonderful.

I wish Gamecube was host to more games like this... games that really make use of its potential.

Ah, well. For me personally, I guess it's worth having a GC for the Rogue Leaders and Resident Evils alone.

a bit of a dumb question, but since some of you guys have already been through the game you might know:

are all treasure items in the game meant just to be traded for money, or do some of them have any special, e.g. bonus-features-unlocking value as well, ala HOTD2?

darkblu said:
a bit of a dumb question, but since some of you guys have already been through the game you might know:

are all treasure items in the game meant just to be traded for money, or do some of them have any special, e.g. bonus-features-unlocking value as well, ala HOTD2?

Just money

thanks.

btw, while progressing further into the game a question keeps re-occuring to me: are the cut scenes real time or not? moreover, where in the game is the softdec used if not in cut scenes?

darkblu said:
thanks.

btw, while progressing further into the game a question keeps re-occuring to me: are the cut scenes real time or not? moreover, where in the game is the softdec used if not in cut scenes?

I don't have the game, so i can't tell, but usually the title screens, with the company logo (Capcom in this case) and some random special effect, are videos. Could be that. Cause i've heard that all the cutscenes are realtime.

london-boy said:
I don't have the game, so i can't tell, but usually the title screens, with the company logo (Capcom in this case) and some random special effect, are videos. Could be that. Cause i've heard that all the cutscenes are realtime.

re4 cut scenes definitely have a very realtime-ish look, but i'm not quite sure all of them are realtime. now and then you can see subtle blurish effects in them (e.g. DOF and motion) of whose real-time nature i'm not sure..

Gamecube can do DOF in game, take a look at starfox adventures.

RE4 has intro movies(the title screens plus leon's little prologue), and I'd imagine the ending will be a cinematic cutscene. At least they usually are in RE games, though I can't remember if code veronica's was.

re4 cut scenes definitely have a very realtime-ish look, but i'm not quite sure all of them are realtime. now and then you can see subtle blurish effects in them (e.g. DOF and motion) of whose real-time nature i'm not sure..

The only cutscenes that are not done in real time are: the trailers that play when you do nothing in the main menu, the intro cutscene that talks about Umbrella and the one with the credits rolling. Aside from those, everything is rendered by the GCN.

Fox5 said:

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying the cube cannot do this or that fx in real time. actually i'm not saying anything about what can or cannot be done on the cube. i'm just questiong if all cutscenes in re4 are actually real-time. because i have not been able to spot some certain re4 cutscene fx during actual gameplay. plus, there is a pronounced "housekeeping" delay after some cutscenes, even when the gameplay continues virtually from the same scene the cinematic ended with. plus, some cinematics exhibit some discrepanicies with the game state - e.g. you carry a rifle but in the cinematic you're shown with a handgun.

so basically those bits made me raise the question.

darkblu said:
Fox5 said:

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying the cube cannot do this or that fx in real time. actually i'm not saying anything about what can or cannot be done on the cube. i'm just questiong if all cutscenes in re4 are actually real-time. because i have not been able to spot some certain re4 cutscene fx during actual gameplay. plus, there is a pronounced "housekeeping" delay after some cutscenes, even when the gameplay continues virtually from the same scene the cinematic ended with. plus, some cinematics exhibit some discrepanicies with the game state - e.g. you carry a rifle but in the cinematic you're shown with a handgun.

so basically those bits made me raise the question.

Yeah but the cinematics are completely free of compression artifacts(rare even with dvds, let alone gamecube's small GODs), plus they don't look dramatically better than in game, they just have extra effects. However, I seem to recall that zelda 64 had better looking cinematics than in game. BTW, in RE4 I believe the cinematics update appropriately when you activate the costume changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back