Good hardware shopping in Taipei/Beijing??

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
I'm spending the next two weeks in Beijing and Taipei and was wondering if there's any point to trying to go hardware shopping. In all the times I've been to Asia I've never bothered to shop for anything other than trinkets for my kids/wife.

It seem most stuff isn't all that much cheaper unless it can be easily copied (software, books, movies) and I'm not interested in pirate stuff, just good cheap hardware (cpu, good video card, DIMMs, etc.)

Any point? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mize said:
I'm spending the next two weeks in Beijing and Taipei and was wondering if there's any point to trying to go hardware shopping. In all the times I've been to Asia I've never bothered to shop for anything other than trinkets for my kids/wife.

It seem most stuff isn't all that much cheaper unless it can be easily copied (software, books, movies) and I'm not interested in pirate stuff, just good cheap hardware (cpu, good video card, DIMMs, etc.)

Any point? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Beijing I don't know. Have been there, but just played the tourist there.

In Taipei it's not too hard. Opposite to the main train station. Big square, you can't miss it, next to the Shinkong building, which used use to be the tallest building in Taipei until they opened 101. To the right of this skyscraper there's Nova. Nova houses a bunch of small stores. 3 or 4 floors. From a colleague I heard that on the left side of the Shingkong building in a former department store there are now lots of electronics stores as well. Didn't have the chance to check this out yet.

I dunno about computer hardware, but you can pick up really cheap high end audio equipment in China. I have a bunch of friends who places group orders around $30k a few times a year, which would easily cost ~3x as much as in EU.

Back