Holiday Advice (Canada)

Gerry

Regular
Looking to go on a week-long Alaskan cruise sometime from May-Sep this year. Coupled with this I'm planning another 7-10 days driving Vancouver-Calgary (or vice versa).

So the question is, are there any places I really shouldn't miss out on around that area? Beautiful scenery, bit of walking, that kind of thing. Banff, Lake Louise, Wells Gray Park are all on the list. What's the best time to go? Was thinking late May, early June to miss out on the crowds, but I've never been to this area before.

Additionally can anyone recommend a cruise line? Norwegian look fine if only for the fact that they do away (mostly) with all the formal stuff you have to put up with on cruises sometimes. I don't have any experience with them at all though, only Royal Caribbean - who seemed OK.

Hells Gate could be worth a short stop as you're passing. http://www.bcadventure.com/janlee/fraser/fraser.htm

And Morain lake which is not too far (20km?) from lake Louise and much prettier in my opinion.

I went to the Rockies in late May. There was only one place that was still closed. No Alpine flowers though (that I could see).

Banff National Park is a major vacation destination, and many visitors take an extra day or two to drive north up the Icefields Parkway into Jasper National Park. This road takes you beside the Athabaska Glacier, where you can walk to the glacier's toe, and also take a Columbia Icefield trip in a bus equipped with huge icegoing tires.

That is well worth doing.

Thanks for that. I'll take a look at some of the places you mentioned.

I knew I should have called the topic "Vacation Advice" - I'm sure I would have got more feedback then! ;)

Back