A "John Carmack" forum by itself

Reverend

Banned
We all know we have the Developer forum (which doesn't seem to be working very well *cough*). I was joking in that specific thread in the GD forum regarding no longer emailing JC.

What is everyone's opinions of B3D starting a "John Carmack" sub-forum in the Developer forum (like the rest of the developers there) by proxy?

As you all know, me and John regularly trade emails on various topics (all initiated by me). What would be posted in "his" forum would be my postings of our email correspondences on various matters (resulting in different and specific threads, created as I see fit or as I feel like it or... you get the drift...). I have been posting most of our correspondences in either various forum threads or as an "interview"... I'd like to change that to what I am proposing now... a repository so to speak.

Speak your mind.

Dave, speak yours too.

PS. I have not asked John about this, which is the more important that what you guys wish for. I will, and if he says "No", this thread/proposal would be redundant.

I would say wait a while. First release of phpBB 2.2 Beta will be up soon and that has the capability for subforums. On the grounds of keeping the forums tiday I would wait until then.

I would still rather we had the occasional interview though!

DaveBaumann said:
I would say wait a while. First release of phpBB 2.2 Beta will be up soon and that has the capability for subforums. On the grounds of keeping the forums tiday I would wait until then.
Okay.

I would still rather we had the occasional interview though!
John has never agreed to an email interview with me. All "interviews" with him on this site are the results of my collating our email correspondences on specific topics of discussions -- hardly appropriate for an actual "interview" but there you go (hits, hits, hits). But I understand what you mean -- "interviews" introduce/expose our site better than what I am proposing.

Someone needs to take the J, O, H, N, C, A, R, M and K keys off Reverend's keyboard :LOL:

We ll w we ve te Develpe fu (wi des't see t be wig vey well *ug*). I ws ig i tt speifi ted i te GD fu egdig lge eilig .

Wt is eveye's piis f B3D sttig " " sub-fu i te Develpe fu (lie te est f te develpes tee) by pxy?

s yu ll w, e d egully tde eils vius tpis (ll iitited by e). Wt wuld be psted i "is" fu wuld be y pstigs f u eil espdees vius ttes (esultig i diffeet d speifi teds, eted s I see fit s I feel lie it ... yu get te dift...). I ve bee pstig st f u espdees i eite vius fu teds s "iteview"... I'd lie t ge tt t wt I ppsig w... epsity s t spe.

Spe yu id.

Dve, spe yus t.

PS. I ve t sed but tis, wi is te e iptt tt wt yu guys wis f. I will, d if e sys "", tis ted/ppsl wuld be edudt.

See, his posts would still be completely readable.

IMHO such an idea, without his active participation, sounds like leeching of his reputation. OTH the idea of a ‘Reverend’s Grape Vine’ type forum, where you could share pertinent information you have gleaned from JC and others sounds more suitable to B3D to me.

I'm all for it and I would also like a Yann Lombard forum.
(One of the guys behind vtales 3D engine. He's contributed a lot to gamedev.net forums.)

nelg said:
IMHO such an idea, without his active participation, sounds like leeching of his reputation. OTH the idea of a ‘Reverend’s Grape Vine’ type forum, where you could share pertinent information you have gleaned from JC and others sounds more suitable to B3D to me.

Nah, I should have read a bit more... well said. 8)

nelg said:

This I think is a better idea. Also reach out to other successful engine programmers.
Dave would probably rather they become articles at some point, but the initial stuff can be your "Talk Sessions", that get compiled into nice articles.

Speng.

Rys said:
Someone needs to take the J, O, H, N, C, A, R, M and K keys off Reverend's keyboard :LOL:

We ll w we ve te Develpe fu (wi des't see t be wig vey well *ug*). I ws ig i tt speifi ted i te GD fu egdig lge eilig .

Wt is eveye's piis f B3D sttig " " sub-fu i te Develpe fu (lie te est f te develpes tee) by pxy?

s yu ll w, e d egully tde eils vius tpis (ll iitited by e). Wt wuld be psted i "is" fu wuld be y pstigs f u eil espdees vius ttes (esultig i diffeet d speifi teds, eted s I see fit s I feel lie it ... yu get te dift...). I ve bee pstig st f u espdees i eite vius fu teds s "iteview"... I'd lie t ge tt t wt I ppsig w... epsity s t spe.

Spe yu id.

Dve, spe yus t.

PS. I ve t sed but tis, wi is te e iptt tt wt yu guys wis f. I will, d if e sys "", tis ted/ppsl wuld be edudt.

See, his posts would still be completely readable.
THat is hilarious :LOL:
On topic: excellent idea.

speng said:
nelg said:

This I think is a better idea. Also reach out to other successful engine programmers.
Dave would probably rather they become articles at some point, but the initial stuff can be your "Talk Sessions", that get compiled into nice articles.

Speng.

I think we have some programmer's blog already on board... ;)

Back