PS2 Reaches 80 Million Mark

Vince

Veteran
<center>PS2 Reaches 80 Million Mark
Sales mark comes before similar mark for original PlayStation.
</center>
[url=http://ps2.ign.com/articles/578/578454p1.html said:
Link[/url]]January 9, 2005 - Sony Computer Entertainment has revealed that total worldwide shipments for the PlayStation 2 reached the 80,000,000 mark in December of 2004. This mark comes four months earlier than it did with the original PlayStation.

SCE hopes to make this figure reach 85,800,000 by the end of March.

pft... was it a bad year for potatoes, because all I'm seeing are small fries around here.

;)

Only four months earlier? They're losing ground... I wonder how much they were losing out on the supply problems recently?

&lt;does some math>

Wait a minute, they're just plain wrong. The PS1 hit 80 million just after the 6 year mark. They mean one YEAR and four months.

cthellis42 said:
Only four months earlier? They're losing ground... I wonder how much they were losing out on the supply problems recently?

&lt;does some math>

Wait a minute, they're just plain wrong. The PS1 hit 80 million just after the 6 year mark. They mean one YEAR and four months.

your most likely confusing units sold for the ps1 to units shiped for the ps2.

80million units are shipped , not all of them are in homes and being used .

The vast manjority of them ARE sold tho, it's madness to believe a significant percentage of 80 million units are unsold.

Nah, the fact that Sony will sell 1/3rd the entire XBox userbase in the 3 month period from December to March doesn't mean anything.

Pretty impressive achievements for both Playstation systems. The PS had a tough battle with the SS in Japan at first, and then had pressure from the N64 in the states--so it was pretty remarkable what it did. The PS3 has also been remarkably successful against two solid competitors. Sony has done a good, no make that great, job with the Playstation brand and the sale demonstrate this.

Guden Oden said:
The vast manjority of them ARE sold tho, it's madness to believe a significant percentage of 80 million units are unsold.

what do i know , even if they were sold doesn't mean they are still sold , i my local gamestop has 20 used ps2s .

But there is a diffrence between shipped and sold is there :) and it can be a big diffrence , 20 million units ? no , but mabye a million .Though knowning sony it can be 20 million :devilish:

Obviously some broke, others are no longer used, and maybe a fraction of a percentage have yet to sell. BUT this goes for the Xbox and Nintendo also (e.g. my Cube broke... BUT Nintendo replaced it ASAP with a new one and I paid not a dime... I was shocked at the support, especially after reading other horror stories about 'other' system launches). None of this deminishes the INSANE fact Sony has shipped 80M PS3! :oops:

Sony deserves some credit for this--no need to deminish what they have done. ;) Sony did a good job of getting their console into consumer hands this time around, and the time before that also. And if they continue to have a high level of 3rd party developer support (which I see no reason why they wouldn't at this point) there is a good chance they will sell another 80M in a similar time frame. They are playing their cards right, and the fact they are waiting 6 years between releases a LOT of Playstation consumers will be itching for their next console. A lot can happen between now and then, but Sony has done an excellent job of building their PS brands and getting people to buy them.

why should we ?

They did it 4 months faster than the last system ? So what ? Shall we jump up and down when the xenon sells 20million systems faster than the xbox does and praise ms ?

jvd said:
why should we ?

Objectivity?

There is no point trying to deminish the accomplishment imo. The PS was a great sales success, and the PS2 has carried on in that tradition. It is worthy of noting significant milestones.

jvd said:
why should we ?

They did it 4 months faster than the last system ? So what ? Shall we jump up and down when the xenon sells 20million systems faster than the xbox does and praise ms ?

It's not just that they managed to sell the same amount in 4 months less time but rather that they sold that many again. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, selling as many as they did is a HUGE feat that they did twice no less.

The "achievement" is that no one expected Sony to do as good as they did with PS1, and now they have just proved that not only they can, but they can do it quicker than they did last time, showing that if anything, the Playstation brand is still growing stronger, when everyone expected it to "die out" eventually.
Also, many people just seem to think that "next time it will start from zero", that there is an invisible force that commands "Now it's THEIR turn!!".

To me, the more one company stays at the top, the more people will get used to them being at the top and will keep buying their products, until someone much bigger and better comes out.

There's no invisible hand that picks one company and lets them win.

Sony are up there for many reasons, but whatever way you look at it, they are up there because of their hard work and because they have made a lot of right decisions, which a few people might be totally opposed to, but have been proven to be the right decisions nonetheless. I think it's just right to say that "They know better".

85 million consoles by March and still it's the Xbox to have momentum (as I read in this forum). Quite a feat. They truly are doomed with PS3 :rolleyes:

Devourer said:
85 million consoles by March and still it's the Xbox to have momentum (as I read in this forum). The truly are doomed with PS3 :rolleyes:

Not only that, but apart from MGS3 (which didnt' sell that well anyway), PS2 keeps selling like cherries without any MAJOR games. GT4 still has to come out... Final Fantasy is still on the ship, getting the same treatment previous instalments did (it will only be released after having completed a trip around the world on a wooden 10ft-long boat)...
Can't think of any more huge franchises that usually sell systems.
I'm not totally up to date with what has been released or what huge game will be released in the future so correct me if i'm wrong.

What i was wondering about is, who's buying PS2s today?
Is the market getting bigger, meaning new people are getting into gaming, or is it something else? Personally i'm very very tempted to exchange my old PS2 for the new version, the smaller one...

Back