Electric Muscle Trainers - do they work?

And here I was thinking you meant an electric cattle prod..... now that would certainly increase muscle activity... especially in those muscles that make you jump :devilish:

If it looks too good to be true it probably is.

If these things really worked people wouldn't bother to go to the gym. Draw your own conclusions! :D

I'm sure these things work, but they have some drawbacks:
  • You can push your muscles too far;
  • It's funny to see your arms move by themselves for the 1st couple of minutes, but not longer;
  • It's easy to get the "My left breast is bigger than the right" syndrome;
  • It's not practical for the legs and arms;
  • It's very difficult to watch TV while your stomach is pumping really hard;
  • There are no girls coming out of aerobics class walking around;
Too many drawbacks to be of any practical use...
At least in my opinion. ;)

They work, and they're used by pro athletes. Ivander Holyfield was on a plane I took once, and he was using one to keep his tone.

They're also uncomfortable to use.

I don't think you can go from not looking like Holyfield to looking like Holyfield just by using it, but they do serve a purpose.

RussSchultz said:
They work, and they're used by pro athletes. Ivander Holyfield was on a plane I took once, and he was using one to keep his tone.

They're also uncomfortable to use.

I don't think you can go from not looking like Holyfield to looking like Holyfield just by using it, but they do serve a purpose.

I'd probably have to aquire some selftanner as well. :D

On the plus side:
-Does make muscles contract so it does work them and can make them stronger
-Can be useful post injury for pain relief and rehabilitation (though not sure about the suitability of these TV sale ab packs)

On the minus side:
-It's an isometric contraction, so the muscles only become strong for the position they're in
-It doesn't use much enegry so won't burn much fat at all (so it won't make you ripped)

You're best off getting down the gym and not eating as much crap (if you do, that is). Unless it's part of a well thought out and comprehensive training program, I wouldn't bother with one.

You mean by isometric contraction that they only enhance the static capacity (instead of the dynamic)? Not my first language...

I do eat a lot of crap and I'm not interested in becoming schisseld. My friend was just planning to buy thus raising my interest. Would be wonderful if it could give me a powerful throwing arm in football.

I have a Omron electronic muscle massager that works well as a massager, but I seriously doubt it increases muscle mass.

It does make your muscles "move" involuntarily, but it really is not strong enough to make the muscles grow! Even then, it can be painful on the strongest setting (strong pinching sensation due to electric shocks), so I doubt anyone could use some device that generates stronger current that might actually make your muscles work more.

They are good for massaging, and in that sense can be benefical to muscle growth, but to believe such a device would actulally make your muscles bigger without you needing to do anything is just.... :rolleyes:

but to believe such a device would actulally make your muscles bigger without you needing to do anything is just.... :rolleyes:
No, they work, but to characterize it as "without you needing to do anyting" is somewhat falacious.

Your muscle still needs to contract. It still fatigues; it still consumes energy biologically. If it generates microtears, it will "grow".

http://lsda.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/cf/exper.cfm?exp_index=320
I wrote the software for a shuttle experiment that used a muscle stimulator as part of its test equipement. There was one mode where the muscle stimulator was used to ensure the subject was exerting all the force he could. I don't remember what the current was required to manage that amount of contraction. If you look at the picture, it uses a large electrode to prevent burning.

And yes, my experience with the experiment hardware was unpleasant, particularly in the fatigue test. Some people didn't seem to have an issue with it, though. Perhaps I'm just a wussy?

Get back to me when the controll system is good enough to get me ready and walk me to work in the morning. Could save at least half an hour of sleep, and with my slow mornings, maybe even an hour. :D

RussSchultz said:
Your muscle still needs to contract. It still fatigues; it still consumes energy biologically. If it generates microtears, it will "grow".
Miniscule amounts. What a device such as this fails to offer is *resistance*. Yes, the muscle contracts, but as opposed to working out there is little to none actual *work* beeing done, and thus little to none energy spent. They do have practacal aplications though, even for pro athletes (mostly related to increasing blood flow to decrease muscle inflammation), but building muscle strength and toning are not among them. I vaugely remember reading something about similar devices showing promising results for preventing muscle atrophy due to immobilization, but I don't think anyone has seriously claimed that these 'over the counter' things can actually *improve* anything for a healthy individual (living on earth).

bruce lee used to use something like this . But he would still do a crap load of push ups and other things :)

Basic said:
Get back to me when the controll system is good enough to get me ready and walk me to work in the morning

In my case, when it _goes_ to work for me :D

They are of no real use and VERY uncomfortable, to me at least.

Back