3D hardware acceleration to play DVD's?

Babel-17

Veteran
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...readid=471346&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

I did a Search but apologies in advance if it's a repost.

Mod's, feel free to move, delete, deride etc. :)

I've toyed with it for awhile but the alpha quality gui is an annoyance.

It seems that a big part of the appeal is the elimination of tearing. That really isn't an issue for me.

It is great that ffdshow can be used as a post processor and that the front end also allows one to choose the video and audio renderers.

The thread gets interesting, in a 3d way, if you stick with it.

The zoomplayer developer has some interesting things to say. Check their forum out too.

Wave of the future?
Boke01

Very early alpha of my dvd player.

Hope this is ok to post here...

Remember this is very early in development but I feel its pretty stable.

Edit: For those who don't know this is a VMR9 only DVD player so you will need the newest version of directx. All the VMR9 tearing should be fixed.

Many things do not work yet. I'm putting it here so you can try the DVD player only. The Audio portion of the program is almost done but I have not coded the library importers yet. I edited by hand, my own audio library. I'll be fixing this soon. You will see some random textures applied where the cd covers would be.

Its designed to be controlled with a remote or keyboard( after the initial configuration ). You just need to configure your remote to send the 4 arrow keys and the Enter key. Mouse control works for the most part but is not finished yet. The + - keys on the keyboard number pad will zoom the video.

Fullscreen video should be checked to eliminate tearing.( make sure VSync is not forced off in your drivers ). The screen will flicker a bit when it goes into fullscreen exclusive mode. This happens only when launching a video. It runs in a fullscreen window the rest of the time.

The onscreen display is disabled in DVD navigation scenes... the arrows and enter key are needed for the dvd navigator at that time.

Tested on:

AMD 2500 with Radeon 9500Pro
AMD XP2000 with integrated GForce 4 MX ( playing Lord of the Rings as I type this. )

If you are using NVidia's audio decoder you will need to set it to use SPDIF output or it will not be able to start the decoder.

This program requires Windows XP, DirectX9c , and a fairly recent 3d video card.

Updated: December 6/2004

Attachment: mediator.zip
This has been downloaded 552 time(s).

Last edited by Boke01 on 12-07-04 at 01:37 AM

Looks interesting for when it moves to a release version. I'd be interested in checking it out then, that's for sure. :)

I'd imagine the 3D programmable HW would be of more use for encoding (eg motion vector searches) than for decoding.

I'll endeavor to post here if there is a major update of the situation.

My understanding is that the big players in this arena could be moving towards this solution.

It would seem that the dude responsible for the proggie has taken his ideas to TheaterTek. It also seems that it won't be too long before TheaterTek is sporting an advanced version of his design as part of their player.

I believe that TT 2.6 is going to be the cat's meow for renderless.
Vern

Well, since Andrew already let the cat out of the bag on the TT forum a couple of weeks back:

First, it's 2.1, not 2.6. (Typo)

I have been testing 2.1 in full screen renderless mode for Andrew for a while now since I have a very revealing environment. (1080 60I and 24PsF on a 5' x 12' screen), and have both NVidia (6800GT) and ATI (X800Pro) video cards.

I can only describe the image as spectacular. The combination of FFDShow using Lanczos4 resize with a slight luma sharpen (10 to 20) with enhanced VMR9 support provided by SP2 and the latest drivers has to be seen to be believed!

Andrew has put a tremendous amount of work into the GUI to make it seamless with the new full screen renderless mode. Of course there is still some additional work required before release (Please don't ask when, I have no idea).

I truly believe that renderless full screen produces the best image I have ever seen from a DVD. I am now totally spoiled and haven't / wont use anything else currently available.

Note: Now accepting bribes for those in the DFW area that want a preview.

Vern

Back