A bit of NV30 speculation from Xbit...

I belive an nVidia rep has already stated a couple times that it will NOT be called the GeForce5, heh

You have no idea how many times decisions like that can be changed over the course of the day! :)

And the good old boys were singing 'Bye Bye Mr. ATi' ;)

Pixel Hoover Tarquin Overdrive with chips!!(tm)

We already know most of the CineFx architecture details, have read projections of deferred rendering techniques such as tile binning to reduce overdraw, and the substantiated rumors that it will be clocked around 400MHz core and 800-1000MHz DDR II memory. An Nvidia rep even stated the NV30 is flexible enought to pack float operations and execute 2 64bit floats in the same amount of cycles as 1 128 bit float.

However, there is one thing that is driving me insane when it comes to further speculation. How many pipeplines!!! How many vertex pipes and how many pixel pipes. We know there are 16 tmu's, so if there are 4 pixel pipelines, it must be a 4*4 setup, while 8 pipes would yield an 8*2 setup (hoping for the later). Pipelines usually come in powers of 2 and usually in greater or equal amounts than the previous generation, thus NV30 will either have 2 vertex pipes or 4. To be very competitive, it should have 4, although the documents said 1.5 times geforce 4 performance (leaves me in the dark). Being left in the dark stinks. I've picked up some clues from the previous NV30 speculation threads, lets keep it coming.

Luminescent said:
We already know most of the CineFx architecture details, the fact that the NV30 borrows some deferred rendering techniques such as tile binning to reduce overdraw, and the fact that it will be clocked around 400MHz core and 800-100MHz DDR II memory.

Could you please provide a link to those "facts" ?

K~

TempestX,

Not to be too critical, but they have a trademark on "Eclipse", not a patent, That is of course unsless you know something I don't! ;)

-Simon T

Hmm, I had never read the "over" 1.5 times faster vertex performance than nv25, as stated in the document. Is this the same document that has been available on the Nvidia site for some time?

That pdf file is from August or something.
Nvidia always pre-release OpenGL spec before new generation of chips arives. They had NV_vertex_program spec posted months before GeForce3 was out.

Simon Templar,

Nope sure don't. My mistake trademark it is not patent. LOL The guys who know everything just can't talk because of NDA's.

Not speaking any names Dave B and others....LOL

TempestX,

LOL. There has been so much rumor that even if someone was to spill the proverbial beans I would have a hard time telling the difference between real and fake. Futhermore I can't think of an architecture that hasn't been rumored to be the NV30 a IMR/TBR, 4x4/8x2/6x2, 128/256bit, DDR/DDR2, Single Chip/Multi Chip etc. I guess only time will tell...

P.S. On a side note I checked out TESS (Trademark Search) and it doesn't seem that Nvidia has any new trademarks registered yet.

Well, maybe they ought to use one of the names they got from 3DFX.... FEAR..... as in, well, we FEAR it's gona be late! :LOL: :eek: :LOL:

I really hope they call it Rampage. I am sure that would cause quite a stir.

Does any else think the name Rampage is ideal for a new gen video card? They couldn't do any worse than GeForce! That has to be the worst name they could have come up with.

Fuz

Back