Castlevania DS!!

kopio0

Newcomer
well things are looking for nintentdo ds. finally, a detailed castilevania 2d game. hmm... wondered if iwata will fall off his chair if SOTN2 is announced for psp. :devilish: (joking)

Wha..?

I saw the screenshots in EGM. It's not much more detailed than past 2D Castlevanias, if at all more detailed. Still pretty, though.

e4.jpg

considering past 2d games are all for gba, isn't this a nice step up? :) i'm just hoping that there's lots of blending effects in there as blending is really essential nowadays...

"Past recent" ones you mean. Your first comment opened it up to SotN as well, which is I imagine what Blade was keeping in mind as "best-looking 2D Castlevania" to date.

Just looking at the shots, you could easily confuse it with a GBA Castlevania based on the image quality.

Now.. in action the game will definitely crush Aria of Sorrow in a few ways.. most notably the musical output quality and the animation. I also wouldn't be surprised if it has more polygonal enemies than the GBA titles, given the strength of the DS.

Theres a pic comparison in GAF forum and Castlevania DS is definitely SotN 2D graphic level, GBA ones look clearly inferior.

Just so long it's as good as or better than the GBA titles. The 2D GBA titles were some of the best in the series. It's fine with me if it's mostly 2D sprite based. Se all know the DS is capable of much more, but if it'll be a great 2D adventure with great music, I'm in.

Wow, looks much better than I was expecting it to. Still, I hope IGA throws a nice new gameplay mechanic here and there, because I´m kinda getting tired of the SOTN-clones that the GBA Castlevanias tried to be.

Fall 2005... Still a lot of time left to add features.

True, though I wasn't complaining by any means. The GBA 2D Castlevanias were excellent IMO, both musically & visually this should trump both those titles & does so from what has been revealed thus far. Even looking better than SoTN...... :oops:

clem64 said:
the shots on the left look exactly like Aria of sorrow. Are those all DS shots?
The left shots are GBA's, and the right ones are from the DS.

Goldni said:
but if it'll be a great 2D adventure with great music, I'm in.
That was one of the things that threw me about the GBA Castlevanias. One of them had good music, and another one of them has HIDEOUS music. Threw me for a loop. o_O

Where are screenshots of the 2nd screen? If it's in all 2D, you can use the both screens for displaying a tower stage...

one said:
Where are screenshots of the 2nd screen? If it's in all 2D, you can use the both screens for displaying a tower stage...
The second screen, is used for displaying the map.

cthellis42 said:
Goldni said:
but if it'll be a great 2D adventure with great music, I'm in.
That was one of the things that threw me about the GBA Castlevanias. One of them had good music, and another one of them has HIDEOUS music. Threw me for a loop. o_O

I could have sworn I read that one had horrid music because they used more cpu cycles for graphics.

That would be Harmony of Dissonance, the second one. COTM had great music, but weaker graphics. HoD had better graphics, but 8-bit sounding tunes. Aria of Sorrow made a sort of compromise, better graphics than COTM and slightly better music than HoD.

As far as I remember, anyway. Beat the last two in 2004, got to the boss of COTM.

GwymWeepa said:
I could have sworn I read that one had horrid music because they used more cpu cycles for graphics.
That could be, but honestly you can make do with worse graphics in a Castlevania game. Why do you think fans keep going back to play the NES ones a lot as well? ;) The music, however, should not feel so slapdashed. Like in MegaMan games as well--deliver quality music and quality action (as in "doesn't have to be graphics") and you please your audience most.

Back