Tsunami

and have you noticed the complete lack of news from Iraq ?

This tsunami is an horrific gift for Bush & Blair

Mother Nature certainly puts terrorism to shame :(

pocketmoon66 said:

30.01.2005 is quite away.....
there will be nuff news from there :(

pocketmoon66 said:

Actually there were news of car bombs and other explosions, don't know where u've been.

1104484357896.gif

:?:

london-boy said:
Actually there were news of car bombs and other explosions, don't know where u've been.

Same place as you. The last major car bomb got about 60 seconds of coverage at the end of the news, the place where they usually tell the nation about 3 legged kittens finding their way home after being abandoned hundreds of mile away.

pocketmoon66 said:
london-boy said:

Same place as you. The last major car bomb got about 60 seconds of coverage at the end of the news, the place where they usually tell the nation about 3 legged kittens finding their way home after being abandoned hundreds of mile away.

hmm 100k dead of 60 people dead ... which do you think is going to get the most news coverage .

Just as on a slow news day that 3 legged kitten would be the number 1 story.

It normaly gets pushed out by a killing or robery . Which gets kicked out by a larger tragity , all the way up. Normaly wars are the largest out there. But this has most likely killed more people than both gulf wars have killed

The Iraq invasion casualties were estimated over 100 000 for Iraqis alone, the U.S and coalition countries forces casualties were less than 1500.
The first Gulf war numbers seem to be harder to find.

...10 persons or 100 000 persons, it's still an equal tragedy to those who it touches, no matter what gets the most media coverage.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11813903^7583,00.html

In the past three days I have been impressed by the originality of the latest critiques of the evil Americans. The earthquake and tsunami apparently had something to do with global warming, environmentalists say, caused of course by greedy American motorists. Then there was the rumour that the US military base at Diego Garcia was forewarned of the impending disaster and presumably because of some CIA-approved plot to undermine Islamic movements in Indonesia and Thailand did nothing about it.

Did the tsunami even get a look-in on US TV news between the holiday schmalz and the football games, I have been sneeringly asked once or twice this week by contemptuous British friends.

It goes both ways.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/266958p-228627c.html
An indignant Russian who arrived at the Novotel Phuket Resort on the day after the tsunami loudly complained that there was no champagne reception. Other guests have pestered the hotel’s grieving staff with complaints that their rooms lack good views.
Belgian tourist Desmet Romain, 42, questioned whether he should have stayed on despite all the death and misery. But the prospect of missing the New Year’s beach holiday he had been looking forward to all year was too much to bear."I didn’t want to go back to Belgium where it is so cold," Romain said. "And in this hotel, it’s like everything is totally normal."
Of course, it could be all made up.

I was watching the italian station and they are calling for the usa to run a global warning system .... we have one in the pacific which costs i believe a billion a year to run . Why is it that the usa is responsable for the world but if we do something the world doesn't like they bitch about it ?

We are not evil americans . We are americans and as much as i'd love to go help out someone living on my block , my first responsablity is to my family , not to the person down the block.

Same goes with this country , the first priority is allways this country , then other countrys .

One friend of mine was in Thailand with his wife and is missing since 5 days. His wife is in a hospital in Thailand, she got hurt but we know nothing more than that. They hung so much on each other, I fear she'll go nutz when she realizes that he's gone. Shit!

I read somewhere that Sweden lost thousands, it must be biggest dissaster in Sweden's history?

Currently ~2900 missing Swedes. It's expected to sink some more, but it will probably still stop at a high figure. Yes, it's the biggest disaster for Sweden in *very* long time.

Still not much compared to the countries in the area.

What happened was truly terrible, but just to put it into context, 30,000 children die every day from poverty (disease, malnutrition etc). Not all but a lot of this poverty is caused by the west (in which I live) with its unfair trade practices with the third world. The tsunami was not preventable, but poverty is.

There will be 44 million orphans worldwide by the end of the decade, of the 2.1 billion children in the world, half of them live in abject poverty (on less than $1 per day) 120 million never go to school, and 11 million die from totally preventable causes every year, yet international agreements which exist to alleviate these issues are not enforced, and are most frequently violated by the United States.

You can help: http://www.cafod.org.uk/get_involved/campaigning/make_poverty_history/global_week_of_action

Back