New worm targets vulnerable messageboards

Babel-17

Veteran
A Web worm that identifies potential victims by searching Google is spreading among online bulletin boards using a vulnerable version of the program phpBB, security professionals said on Tuesday.

The Santy worm uses a flaw in the widely used community forum software known as the PHP Bulletin Board (phpBB) to spread, according to updated analyses. The worm searches Google for sites using a vulnerable version of the software, antivirus firm Kaspersky said in a statement.

Almost 40,000 sites may have already been infected. Using Microsoft's Search engine to scan for the phrase "NeverEverNoSanity"--part of the defacement text that the Santy worm uses to replace files on infected Web sites--returns nearly 39,000 hits.

"Santy.a is spreading rapidly," antivirus firm Kaspersky stated in a new release published Tuesday. "However, this does not directly affect users. Although the worm infects Web sites, it does not infect computers used to view those sites."

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5499725.html?tag=nl.e589

Apologies in advance if my post doesn't relate to this forum.

Sorry, it appears Beyond3D has already taken measures. I just read the following in another thread.

The Baron said:
LB, it was because phpbb was patched (I think) to prevent whatever virus is crawling around from taking over the forum.

Still, if anyone knows the manager of a forum who might not be as vigilant it seems worth notifying them regarding this worm.

Good excuse to get people to update anyways. :)

Thanks. Both the forum software and php versions were updated to the most secure known releases a while back.

Back