DD 5.1, 480p and 1080i in GT 4?

-tkf- said:
Could you explain how this works?

How does a 640x960i scale to a 1920x1080i image within the PS2?
I think he's proposing that the PS2 renders at 640 or 720 pixels across regardless of whether it's in 480p or 1080i mode, but the vertical resolution does increase slightly. 640x1080i would mean a 640x540 image rendered every 60th of a second, and 640x480p would mean a 640x480 image every 60th of a second. Less than 13% fillrate increase, so it's definately possible without lag. It's probably easier to do this than manually scale it.

As for the horizontal scaling, that's not an issue at all. The info is transmitted to the TV in analog scanlines, so basically the TV is doing the scaling. It's just not getting a signal of as high frequency (1920 pix per line) as it could handle.

maskrider said:
It was ripped by me.

Yeah, you have done a fantastic job on this release, a million screenshots/grabs several replays etc etc...

Kudos...

Of course i wouldn't be a internet user if i didn't ask for more :)

"Ingame" movies for example replays from inside the cars seem to be rare, especially from real racing tracks like LeMans and Nurnburg.

Replays looks amazing but incar shows some of the games dynamics.

In any case, thanks for all the info..

london-boy said:
max-pain said:

I'm just very skeptical. If it could really provide true 5.1 sound from just 2 sources, it would have been used instead of DD & DTS on DVD movies.

I used to be skeptical, but it works amazingly well. The crazy part I found was when watching anime it almost always gets the rear voices seperated from front voices so if someone should be talking behind you then you hear it behind you. That amazed pretty early on. It also good at determining what is the music and seperating it to all the channels as well.

Really till you try it's hard to believe it works as well as it does.

Also, I would definately say DD5.1 or DTS is preferred over DPLII but without hardware compression its a little too much for this generation of consoles. And no reason for DVD movies not to use DD5.1 or DTS over DPLII especially considering for the movie theaters they generate a DD5.1 or DTS soundtrack.

DPL2 is not 5.1 anyway so that should have been clear.
DPL2 is technically 5.0, and the subwoofer is automatically activated whenever there's a bass sound deep enough to be played on it.

Now, don't get me wrong, DPL2 is not perfectly, cleanly digitally separated multichannel sound like DD5.1 or DTS, but it does a damn good job regardless, and you hear a positional sound just like the people who encoded it intended you to.

If you want to go into details, not even DD5.1 or DTS are *perfect* - both use lossy compression.

maskrider said:

thanks for your efforts.

one question: was the initial copy taken directly from the demultiplexed pss file or was it done indirectly through your display device (i.e., lcd, plasma or crt)? thanks.

emacs said:
thanks for your efforts.

one question: was the initial copy taken directly from the demultiplexed pss file or was it done indirectly through your display device (i.e., lcd, plasma or crt)? thanks.

I recorded it off the PS2 S-Video output with my USB MPEG-2 encoder. I didn't read it off the game disc.

maskrider said:
emacs said:
thanks for your efforts.

I recorded it off the PS2 S-Video output with my USB MPEG-2 encoder. I didn't read it off the game disc.

okay, thanks for the info. i asked this because i grabbed the GT3 A-Spec intro directly from the source and was rather surprised it was sampled at 640 x 224 (or was it 244, can't remember exactly, but i do recall it was at some strange aspect ratio). anyway, i'll be getting my NTSC-J copy of GT4 in about a week or so. thanks again for your contributions over at gtplanet.net

DD5.1 rocks.
Soundstorm rocks Xbox (and PC).
Like someone said, MS over engineered Xbox.
Let hope Sony can get DICE license and Nvidia put Soundstorm2 into PS3 and not SPU3.. :D

Back