DD 5.1, 480p and 1080i in GT 4?

maskrider said:
Got it.

I didn't experience any framerate problem yet on 480p with a lap in the Nurburgring. Played with 1080i for only a minute and no framerate problem yet. 1080i is very clean and sharp.

What kind of TV do you have!

Ohhh and just a tiny bit of hate goes your way... :)

Tell me if you need help with hosting of your Video Files showing 480/1080 :)

-tkf- said:
maskrider said:
Got it.

I didn't experience any framerate problem yet on 480p with a lap in the Nurburgring. Played with 1080i for only a minute and no framerate problem yet. 1080i is very clean and sharp.

I use a transcoder with my LCD monitor, which causes a lot of hassles with GT4 as it is fixed at 480i in the menu, it switch mode when goes to start race menu.

I want to make movies on them, but I don't have device capable of capturing at that resolution. Heh !

maskrider said:
-tkf- said:
maskrider said:
Got it.

I use a transcoder with my LCD monitor, which causes a lot of hassles with GT4 as it is fixed at 480i in the menu, it switch mode when goes to start race menu.

I want to make movies on them, but I don't have device capable of capturing at that resolution. Heh !

Pretty impressive .-)

Any jumps/problems with Aspect Ratio and 480p/1080i in combination with 16/9

From Maskrider @ GA:

People who likes the sound tracks will love GT4's Music Theatre

gt4-musictheater.jpg

gt4-musictheater-menu.jpg

And some screens of the big GT mode map.

gt4-gtmode-1.jpg

gt4-gtmode-2.jpg

gt4-gtmode-3.jpg

gt4-gtmode-4.jpg

gt4-gtmode-5.jpg

gt4-gtmode-6.jpg

gt4-gtmode-7.jpg

Fredi

Fafalada said:
Video mode would still switch to 1080I - which is something you can actually check on your HDTV. You can't check the actual pixel size, but as long as it looks sharper then regular NTSC(which hypothetical 720x960 would), what else is there for a user to assume?
Color me confused, but since the dimensions are way off (720x960 versus 1080x1920) wouldn't upscaling bring about some noticable visual warping effects, or include sidebars or the like? Or is it that people would assume it's not widescreen, and that the machine was delivering 1080x1440 (the direct ratio) and not be able finely measure the pixel size?

Maskrider, I think you have some testing to perform! :p ;)

cthellis42 said:
Or is it that people would assume it's not widescreen, and that the machine was delivering 1080x1440 (the direct ratio) and not be able finely measure the pixel size?

Maskrider, I think you have some testing to perform! :p ;)

Well do you have anamorphic in HD? as far as i know you don't.

cthellis42 said:
Color me confused, but since the dimensions are way off (720x960 versus 1080x1920) wouldn't upscaling bring about some noticable visual warping effects, or include sidebars or the like? Or is it that people would assume it's not widescreen, and that the machine was delivering 1080x1440 (the direct ratio) and not be able finely measure the pixel size?

Well horizontal resolution doesn't matter since its an analog signal so there would be no sidebars. Also its likely its really 1080i lines being outputted since otherwise a lot of things would complain if it was getting a 960i signal.

-tkf- said:
Well do you have anamorphic in HD? as far as i know you don't.

Well of course you do and you don't. For analog signals the aspect ratio is whatever the device interprets it as (720p and 1080i are assumed to be 16:9 but most devices will let you adjust of course). If its DVI though the pixels are square though most devices again will let you squash the pixels horizontally.

When I first saw the specs of the PS2, I didn't even think of the 4MB EDRAM as texture memory like everyone else did (including most developers, apparently), but as pure framebuffer. With that amount and the incredible bandwidth, some amazing effects could be pulled off by buffering frames to that, and using the "system memory" (pretty fast, too) for textures, z-buffer, etc. It'd work similarly to Turbo Cache/ Hyper Memory. I think 1080i frames could be done this way, but I don't know about doing it with buffer effects like DoF.

Cryect said:
I would have to say it looks like all the textures are about half the res in 1080i at first glance it seems like.
Edit: Oh but all the edges look much nicer though in 1080i
Can't say I honestly see any difference in textures.
What I do see though - look closer - horizontal pixel size is the same on both images, resolution only increases vertically, like we speculated.

I'm curious now if they flatout use 640x960I, or some other setting, but it seems pretty safe to say both modes use same size backbuffers.

Fafalada said:
Cryect said:
I would have to say it looks like all the textures are about half the res in 1080i at first glance it seems like.
Edit: Oh but all the edges look much nicer though in 1080i
Can't say I honestly see any difference in textures.
What I do see though - look closer - horizontal pixel size is the same on both images, resolution only increases vertically, like we speculated.

I'm curious now if they flatout use 640x960I, or some other setting, but it seems pretty safe to say both modes use same size backbuffers.

Could you explain how this works?

How does a 640x960i scale to a 1920x1080i image within the PS2?

TV standards ( analogue ones in particular ) are specced in terms of horizontal and vertical timings and pixel clocks ( normally capped by B/W )

It is pretty simple to set the display hardware for a TV standard such as 720p
or 1080i ( 1080 by 1920 pixels ) but only generate 640 or 960 pixels... the same thing occured with older consoles ( 320 pixels for PS1 and Genesis, 256
pixels for SNES )

As people have said before, if you are generating a 640x480 (480p) framebuffer, it isn't much of a step to generate a 640x540 frame buffer to display with 3x horizontal mag as 1080i.

As many HDTV devices dont actually have horizontal resolutions anywhere near 1920 anyway it's a nice added feature for GT4

Back