Tests on PSP battery

Evil_Cloud said:
First European PSP prices are appearing on the internet...

For €250, I hope this will be the price of the value package, otherwise Sony is quite screwed.

That's +300 dollar. ;)
Every DS game right up until launch on EB Games and Gamespot was $50. The DS itself most places sat at $200. I don't think one can trust merchant prices until right next to the launch when they've had firm MSRP given and actually purchased the games themselves. Until then, I think they adopt a "placeholder" price point that's best described as "we assume it will be no greater then XXX, so that's what we're going to tell you until we know for sure. Better safe than sorry."

Guden Oden said:
...But whatever you do, just shut up already, ALRIGHT?

No, not right, I'm not gonna shut up because what I think doesn't like you.

My point is a perfectly valid one. FOR ME, a battery that lasts 5 hours (or 8-10 in the case of DS) is a JOKE for a portable console. You like my point? Fine. You don't like it? Fine, don't read my posts or ignore me. But you are no one to tell me or anyone to shut up.

SedentaryJourney said:
So the big question for anyone who isn't an early adopter is: will battery life improve, and how long will it take?

I don't really think it will improve over the following years, they'll just want to cash in on $50 external batteries. :)

On the other hand, they could come up with the slimline PSP like they have with the PS2 and reignite some sales momentum. Advertise it as better battery life.

Or it's the PSP version of the GBA SP.

Hopefully, some third parties will market batteries, like they do for digital cameras.

I'm loving my DS and I'll be one of the first in line for PSP. Yes, they are two totally different systems that offer totally different gaming experiences but there will and is comparisons being drawn. I'm not very happy with 2-3 hrs for PSP's battery life. Time sucks away quickly when I'm enjoying a good game and 2-3 hrs is gonna feel like a mere 30 minutes. This will surely put a vice on descent sized RPG's for the system imo. Especially for travel and beach use. I've literally played my GBASP 7-8 hrs laying on the beach. Don't laugh some ppl read paperback novels...I play games.

I can already see how this battle will be shaping up. Sony camp will complain about DS's graphics. Nintendoods will complain about PSP's battery. I think it's a trade off. I'll love both systems for thier own strengths. And leave complaining about thier faults to the zealots.

btw,
Theres probably a space for the DS, is just that it hasnt produced a significan shift in gaming and it fails to match the handheld expirience the PSP provides.

Spoken like a tried and true troll. We're only seeing the tip of the iceberg afa innovative DS software. I'm very happy with the launch lineup (as anemic as it is..but are'nt all launches such?) I've never had a "handheld experience" like this. I never thought I'd be hastily drawing trampolines for a bunch of Mario's to jump to safety. Never thought I'd actually be 'blowing' a sail boat around in a game. Nor 'blowing' out candles too. My Xbox and GCN have collected dust since I got my DS. Never thought I'd be pictochatting for 3 hrs going down the interstate with my nephews in the car behind me while traveling to my aunt's house. Now THAT was a cool new handheld "experience" my friend. We also had a 4 player game of Metroid First Hunt going with ppl in 3 different cars for about 30 min more. Then we went through Knoxville and got a little cross interference.

Just in the short time the DS has been out I already see a new gaming trend emerging..food courts. Yes that's right. I read someone at another forum saying he'd been 'meeting' ppl at the mall via pictochat. So being the geek that I am I went and tried it at my lil ole mall food court and I'll be damned if there were'nt two chat rooms going. That really impressed me with the userbase still relatively new and small. Just think what it'll be like after Christmas. Maybe able to get some serious Metroid turnys going. It'll really be neat when the final game comes out this summer..along with other great multiplayer games.

So to sum it up I think the DS is a phenomenal piece of hardware with only the greatest of game titles yet to come. The PSP is still a ways off here in the US..But I can't wait! I'll love PSP for awsome consolelike graphics and hopefully some great games coming down the pipeline. Both systems can be enjoyed by gamers in totally different ways. I know I will.

Goldni said:
So to sum it up I think the DS is a phenomenal piece of hardware with only the greatest of game titles yet to come. The PSP is still a ways off here in the US..But I can't wait! I'll love PSP for awsome consolelike graphics and hopefully some great games coming down the pipeline. Both systems can be enjoyed by gamers in totally different ways. I know I will.

Quoted for emphasis. ;) Both have strong points. We can discuss these and still recognize they both are pretty neat systems.

Apoc said:
My point is a perfectly valid one. FOR ME, a battery that lasts 5 hours (or 8-10 in the case of DS) is a JOKE for a portable console. You like my point? Fine. You don't like it? Fine, don't read my posts or ignore me. But you are no one to tell me or anyone to shut up.

You've fucking stated your point already. Now you're just in bash-sony-mode repeating yourself over and over without adding anything new. We know you think it sucks because you've said so multiple times, and most agree you're a kook for thinking the way you do. Now get over it and stop your thread-crapping. It's really annoying.

Not because you think PSP battery life sucks, but because you're repeating the exact same pointless argument over and over.

Apoc said:
Guden Oden said:
...But whatever you do, just shut up already, ALRIGHT?

No, not right, I'm not gonna shut up because what I think doesn't like you.

What exactly are you complaining about then?

The fact that Humans still haven't been able, after more than a hundred years of harnessing electricity, to make batteries that last forever?

We should all die of a slow death, it's totally unacceptable. :rolleyes:

Batteries are batteries. Not much lasts more than 20 hours, sometimes 30 dependign on what it is you're using. You have in your hands handheld systems that are more powerful than the last generation home consoles. Get over yourself, if you don't like it, look somewhere else, we will enjoy ourselves in the meantime.

Complaining about "short battery life" for both PSP and DS, comparing them to toys that apparently last 36 hours with different kind of batteries, is stupid. What are these toys anyway?? :rolleyes:

Just get out of here.

Guden Oden said:
Apoc said:

You've fucking stated your point already. Now you're just in bash-sony-mode repeating yourself over and over without adding anything new. We know you think it sucks because you've said so multiple times, and most agree you're a kook for thinking the way you do. Now get over it and stop your thread-crapping. It's really annoying.

Not because you think PSP battery life sucks, but because you're repeating the exact same pointless argument over and over.

As I already made my point I will leave this thread. I wasn't repeating, I was stating what is my point, and after you told to shut up (which is something you are no one to tell) I was repeating my point of view because it seemed like you didn't understand. Now, it's clear I'll leave, but not without an advice. Take off your sony bias, and see the new "portable" consoles (and other hardware too) as a normal user, not a power user. You'll see that normal users (who are the ones that are gonna buy the systems/hardware mostly) don't look for what us power users look for. Then you might see where those companies are failling.

SedentaryJourney said:
So the big question for anyone who isn't an early adopter is: will battery life improve, and how long will it take?
Looking on t' net, seems 1800 mAh Li-Ions is the best technology available at the moment. Though I expect better batteries in future (2200-2300 mAh) I don't know when. The best solution is fuel cells which are supposed to be rolling out soon for portable electronic devices Mobion Fuel Cells

Speaking of comparing DS and PSP battery, has anyone got official figures on DS? On another forum talking about this, a guy with a DS was saying XX/XY lasted 5 hours on his DS. Considering its the same battery as the GBA on more power-hungry hardware, I don't find this difficult to believe. So perhaps both systems manage 5 hours and this 'which is worst' debate is irrelevant!

This thread was never intended as a PSP vs DS thread by the original poster (ME).

Anyway, i don't see why on earth would DS last just as long as PSP having no moving parts, and a chipset which is a lot less power hungry than the PSP.

It wouldn't make sense.

Shifty Geezer said:
SedentaryJourney said:
Looking on t' net, seems 1800 mAh Li-Ions is the best technology available at the moment. Though I expect better batteries in future (2200-2300 mAh) I don't know when. The best solution is fuel cells which are supposed to be rolling out soon for portable electronic devices Mobion Fuel Cells

That'd be nice 8) Speaking of improvements - it's not necessary to have a better battery. As a matter of fact I'm about to bring my mobile for a firmware upgrade that literally more than doubles it's uptime (!) from 2-3 days up to 5-6. So yes, I expect Sony to bring improvements both in hardware and software.

PS. Considering how a PSP is supposed to be (and looks like) a decent mp3 player you have to count on it being used that way. Most of the time actually. Think about it for a moment.

edit: spelling. need more practice.

london-boy said:
Anyway, i don't see why on earth would DS last just as long as PSP having no moving parts, and a chipset which is a lot less power hungry than the PSP.

It wouldn't make sense.
DS's battery = 850 mAh. PSP's battery = 1800 mAh. If DS uses half as much power as PSP, with a battery with half as much energy it'll last just as long.

Back